Skate Canada winner Kaetlyn Osmond a cool customer in debut

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

Skate Canada winner Kaetlyn Osmond a cool customer in debut
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...mond-a-cool-customer-in-debut/article4718231/
    In winning the women’s title at Skate Canada on the weekend at the age of just 16, Ms. Osmond signalled that the country has a burgeoning new talent ready to step up on the international stage.

“There were a lot of strong skaters in the event and I knew it was going to be a tough competition” Mr. Walia said in an interview. “But she’s a great skater, so it isn’t really surprising the judges liked her so much.”

2. DELTA

DELTA Member

She is certainly talented, but I don't think she deserved to win. Osmond was overmarked because they were competing in her home country.

Domshabfan and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

A month or so ago she won Nebelhorn which is a B but had some notable skaters. That was certainly not in her home country.

Two very different sets of judges rated her highly. She is very young and has made a good impression - best of luck to her!

4. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

She shouldn't have won SC sorry. Not by a mile. But who cares.

Domshabfan and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I love her skating and wish her tons of luck! I hope she gets another grand prix just for the added experience.

6. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Are you aware Murakami had several jumps marked UR? And considering 0.04 separated Murakami and Tuktamysheva, you're saying you thought Osmond should have been 5th, even though Liza made several mistakes including 2 falls and between her two programs Kanako URed 4 triple jumps, had another one downgraded, and popped a 2a? Suzuki DID beat Osmond in the FS, by 5 points, but her SP had a number of issues while Osmond's was clean so I don't have a problem with the overall result. I can see how maybe people thought Akiko should have won here, but it was close, I don't however understand anyone who thinks Kanako or Liza should have beat her, not only did they have several problems with their programs but in terms of PCS they weren't stronger than Kaitlyn nor do they deserve to be.

7. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

Speed and enthusiasm combined with complex choreography help raise component scores significantly which is why she was also scored well at Nebelhorn. Her jumps are high and strong, and while she may be a bit unpolished, the other qualities are so rare these days with most female skaters that they are rewarded when they show up. The closest recent example of this is Alena Leonova. These skaters may not have the polish and flexibility of some of the more balletic skaters, but when they back up their enthusiasm with speed, and in the case of Osmond, transitions, they are impressive.

8. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

True, but haven't you read the FSU handbook? All Canadian skaters are overmarked. It's in section 7A subsection 3.

She will pull mid 7s in PCS in her next 3 international events -- probably all on different continents -- and we will all continue to hear about how her scores are not justified.

Time will tell if she handles the pressure but this girl totally has the IT factor that very few top senior ladies have right now. Judges from all countries are clearly taken by her. I look forward to seeing where her talent takes her.

Having said all that, I will say that there is a case for Suzuki's PCS marks to have been a little higher vs Osmond at SC.

9. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

:rofl:

Exactly! Osmond's scores were fine. It was Suzuki who was under marked, and not for the first time, though I would agree with those who pointed out that she didn't have a particularly great skate by her own standards.

10. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I would be interested to hear from more people who were in the arena.

Things can look very different in person - especially where PCS is concerned. For instance so many people cried "foul!" RE Johnny Weir's marks at the Olympics - but in person - at that particular competition - he was super slow, covered very little ice and was super tentative. And I say this as a fan of his. People assume that if someone is artistic with good skating skills in general - that they don't ever change in competition. But sometimes they do skate more slowly and more tentatively and their performance suffers due to lack of attack. These things are often difficult to see on TV or online.

I am curious because at least one poster who was there commented that Suzuki did skate tentatively while Osmond went full out. I wonder if others who were there agree? The judges seem to agree with this poster - so perhaps this is the reason?

euler likes this.
  11. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Even on TV I found Suzuki tentative. Murakami skated with heart.

Suzuki was nothing like her worlds performance when she went for it.

12. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I was there live, Osmond skated fast and powerful and her spins were fast and centred.. Suzuki was likely under marked on PCS however she did not skate as well as she can.. her spins were really off, her jumps were tiny - especially her 2nd combo jumps and she was slow.. even in the practices Osmond was up and down the ice - huge triple triples both sides.. Osmond also projects really well to the audience - right to the top row and has a great carriage.. the choreography was also complex and really maxed out on transitions.. I can see why she did well in pcs in both nebelhorn and Canada.. certainly no cheated jumps for her.. unlike the other skaters who all got dinged for that.. but as was expected because not only is she Canadian - but also skated in Canada - as per the fsu rule book, she must have been over marked.. ahh ..posters are true to form ;)

13. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I don't care either. And I am not afraid to post and say so.

I agree. Never. Trust. Canadians.

14. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

THANK YOU! Everyone keeps talking down Kaetlyn, I thought her scores are fine, but I thought Akiko Suzuki was underscored. Akiko should have received much higher PCS in my opinion, the last minute of her program was exciting/interesting/captivating/powerful/graceful all at once. Her natural joy and effervescence is a breath of fresh air.

15. unicorn

unicorn Member

I like this girl and happy for her.

16. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I absolutely ADORE her musicality and charisma - it's so genuine and infectious. And the way she uses her arms and upper body. And her attack. She's 16. Polish can be taught and learned. Musicality and charisma cannot. I'm so happy that there's a new blood in ladies skating that I can be excited about again, finally, and one who may actually get results. It's been soooo long for me!

algonquin and (deleted member) like this.
  17. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I like her. Let her have inflated PCS.

18. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I hope that she can continue skating with the joy and power that she showed this weekend, i.e. that the inevitable pressure for results doesn't crush the spark out of her.

19. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Didn't you get the memo? When a Canadian skater wins, someone from another country is robbed. Even if that skater who wuzrobbed does not skate her or his best, you can always blame Canada for :blocjudge

algonquin and (deleted member) like this.
  20. quartz

quartz Point of Know Return

I adore Akikio, but she was just not sharp in the short, even tho I loved the program, and hope she can rock it later in the season. Kaetlyn totally sparkled from start to finish, you can't teach that, it comes from within. At the age of 16, she has plenty of time to learn the finesse and polish needed to step up to the next level, and she certainly seems to be the type that will embrace any new challenges. I don't care what country she is from, she has "it" and I'm looking forward to watching her journey.

LynnW, victorskid, clarie and 3 others like this.
  21. Canadask8er

Canadask8er New Member

...and the negativity starts! It's barely two days after her triumphant skate and the nay-sayers start their rants! Granted she did not have the greatest of skates... she skated with freedom and abandon and did not look petrified like most of the others! Go Kaetlyn!

22. fscric

fscric Active Member

I don't know about this forum, but on another forum the attack started the minute she won the competition.

23. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

:rofl:
    :EVILLE: Canadians! What magic portion did you put in the judges' drinks?!!!

24. tkaug

tkaug New Member

Kaetlyn's movements... should we call them aggressive or rough?
    They don't deserve 59 on PCS.

25. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Poor Kaetlyn .. I hope she's not one of the skaters who read these boards. The judges on the other hand would learn a lot apparently. :rofl:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

This was the first time I saw her skate, and I was reminded very strongly of the first time I saw Sasha skate. Not because she's a Sasha-like skater, but because from both of them I got the vibe that they were thrilled to be there, eager to do well, and putting their heart and soul into what they were doing. That wins me over faster than almost anything else about a skater.

I'm very happy for Kaetlyn, and hope to see her go far. I think she's got what it takes.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Obviously not enough or PC would have won!

28. tkaug

tkaug New Member

Cynthia Phaneuf had the same treatment in her senior debut season at SC.
    They did it for Kaetlyn here.

29. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Not sure, Cynthia Phaneuf received a silver medal the week prior at 2004 Skate America (don't remember how she skated there) prior to her Skate Canada win.

30. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Conspiracy theories regarding competition results are bound to be found on FSU, especially when those dastardly Canadians are involved :D

Might I remind some of those posting that their comments could be considered rather damning to the integrity of the international judges involved...