Skate Canada 2011 Announcement!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Parsley Sage, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

2. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

Ticket info:

3. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

Wheeeeeeeeee, I'm in for sure!

4. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Ooooh, my aunt and uncle live there. If it weren't in the middle of the semester it would be so tempting...

5. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Ooooo, Missy gets the prize. Hmmm, wonder if I can convince hubby that I simply MUST go and he has to take care of the puppies.

6. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

I suspected it would be Skate Canada International #3 in Mississauga, especially when they said that the challenges wouldn't be there this year. You can only ask so much of your volunteer pool in a fairly short time frame.

7. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Unbelievable. I was SURE the event would move out of Ontario and that the GPF would have been staged here. I was expecting London as a tuneup for worlds. Now this messes everything up.

If the GPF is in Quebec I have to think it's Quebec City...although I think Montreal's second rink they use for Short Track Speed Skating seats about 6,500. That's an option. Not sure what other Quebec Major Junior Hockey arenas hold at least 5K seats near Montreal or Quebec.
    If it's in Montreal I'll go. Quebec City is just a bit too far although stranger things have happened. Would be a great train ride!

Now for Nats. No BC, Ontario or Quebec I'm assuming. I would say Winterpeg and Halifax are front runners, although I wouldn't rule out Edmonton, St. John, Saskatoon or Calgary. I would also have one from that list hosting 2013, too since Worlds are in London. Probably no Ontario nats that year either.

I would have preferred Nats over Skate Canada..but...meh...I'll take it.

A bunch of us live within spitting distance of Mississauga. Stay tuned for posts on billeting opportunities. I have a 2nd bedroom 25mins away from the rink so I might help out.

8. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

Of course it is...

9. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

The official announcement is next week, but Quebec City is apparently where GPF will be.

I was hoping Skate Canada would be here (Saint John). I'm not sure if we can handle Nationals though we did have World Juniors in 1997.

I don't think Halifax is in the running. Maybe Moncton will get Nationals, though they have a QHL junior team so need to work around their schedule.

10. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Saskatoon just had nats, Regina could do it as they could never do a gpf or SC. They are very booked in the fall, but Jan could be possible.

I'd think Alberta is due, and I'm hoping Calgary. Altho, if they're going to smaller rinks aka London, I wouldn't rule out Red Deer or Lethbridge.

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't stay in Ont tho.

11. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

12. iDanceonice

iDanceonice New Member

Isn't Challenge going to be in Mississauga just a few months later, or am I mistaken?

13. jp1andonly

jp1andonly Well-Known Member

no..challenge is NOT going to be in Mississauga next year.

As for nationals..until you know who actually put in a bid there are no front runners. I remember someone saying Halifax had not bid...

14. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Enjoy...

15. jp1andonly

jp1andonly Well-Known Member

Well unless Moncton put in a bid, they are not a front runner. Does anyone know if they bid? I dont think St. John put in a bid though i could be wrong

16. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Just a heads up...

The Hershey Centre is smack dab in the middle of nowhere and unless you've got a for sure ride, you might reconsider.

I learned that lesson the hard way the one time they hosted the Canadian Open way back when. About 50 of us got stranded by Miss Transit inbetween the Tech and Artitistic Programs and the only place we were allowed in, was the foyer. That was close to two to two and a half hours BTW.

Never doing that again, so unless you've got a friend you can get a ride w/, it's something to keep in mind.

17. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Hmm. This is drivable for me. I'm planning on SA but depending on the location, I may have to think about SC instead.

18. MaggieMay

MaggieMay New Member

Any idea where qualifying will be? I loved having it in Mississauga.

19. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

awwwww. gpf in Quebec City? beautiful location...but the arena is so remote and getting a taxi home is a real PITA. :(

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  20. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Mississauga!! :cheer2: The only easier drive for me would've been Hamilton. :lol: I am definitely going to go to as much of it as I can, depending on ticket prices. I haven't been to an elite event in almost 6 years.

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  21. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Hmmm, I sense a road trip coming up for me and my mom this fall! :D We had a great time in Kitchener for SC in 2009 and with this event also being driving distance from here, I think we need to have a chat and make some plans. :cheer:

22. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

We can rent a bus for FSU-ers. Decorated with glitter and sequins, of course. :lol:

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Sally1214

Sally1214 Active Member

Mississauga? YES!! OMG, I actuallty might get to TWO GP events this year (for the first time ever). The GPF in Quebec is already a "go."

Now, I just have to convince the hubby that it really IS a good idea to attend TWO events. Our son lives in Toronto, so this really works in my favor. Of course, if hubby drags his heels at all, I could just go solo, right?
    You betcha!

I'm SO excited right now .... :cheer:

24. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

:scream:

Will be half a mile behind in my own vehicle thankyouverymuch

25. Marge_Simpson

Err, seriously, if there are enough of us, we COULD rent a bus. It would probably be cheaper than taking taxis.
    (But if the bus is on its way to the arena, nobody is allowed to bully the bus driver into stopping off at a sushi restaurant first. :lol:)

26. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

And if I'm lucky enough to go, I'll likely be driving from wherever I'm staying even though riding the bus could sound like fun (except for the sequins - not too enamoured with sequins).
    BTW, what type of bus would that be - school bus? coach? mini-vanish? Just wondering :)

27. Marge_Simpson

A pink bus with "VOIDS R US" painted on it.

28. dramagrrl

dramagrrl Active Member

The middle-of-nowhereness of that rink and my previous experiences at events there are making me think twice (or three times :p) about going, even though I live in Toronto.

29. fan

fan Well-Known Member

i'm sure quite a few of us could carpool from toronto, if anyone needs lifts (i volunteer!).

Now, anyone have tips on how to get front row seats?

30. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

A sparkly bus sounds fab! :glamor:

Which hotel has been the official one for past events?