Skate Canada 2010 - UPDATE: Kingston, ON

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by JanetB, Apr 11, 2010.

1. JanetB

JanetB Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the location has been announced yet?

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Nope, nothing yet.

3. nyrak

nyrak Active Member

Anyone want to make a bet on what's announced first - the location or the roster?

4. lise

lise Well-Known Member

they still haven't announced where Nationals are next year!

5. quebecoise

quebecoise New Member

I think they will announce Skate Canada and Nationals locations at the same time.

My prediction is that it will be announced next week(April 19th...) or the week after, because all skating's competitions are over now for the season(last one was Synchro Worlds this week-end).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  6. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Anyone want more vBets on what-ifs for both events? :saint:

7. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

Based on an article from around worlds they were still trying to get 2013 Worlds. Maybe they're waiting to see where that ends up to decide how to spread the other events around.

8. huggermugger

huggermugger New Member

Could someone link this thread to a similar one - 2011 Nationals? - in KissandCry under Canadian Figure Skating Championship 2010?

Hoping that now that Barb MacDonald has become permanent staff at SC there may be announcements soon - I have long maintained that there must be some committments in place as you can't just instantly book arenas and organize your local committee.

9. sadie

sadie New Member

central ontario has announced Midland for their sectionals

10. marion853

marion853 New Member

Just received a note from Skate Canada indicating that the Skate Canada location will be announced at the end of April and the Canadian Championships location sometime in May. These announcements are both almost 6 months later than usual. Seems very strange, but there it is.

11. quebecoise

quebecoise New Member

:(:(:( Bad news...it's SOOO LOOONNNGG!!!

12. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

I'm sure they are waiting to see what happens with the bid to host the 2013 world championship. From that decision, they can then plan test events and be sure that the big events are moved around the country. Waiting with pins and needles...

13. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

Argh, I wish we at least knew the area of the country, east/west, whatever!

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I don't see how a potential event in March 2013 has any bearing on events in November 2010 and January 2011.

There are only so many suitable venues in the country, so if one city gets two events in 2 1/2 years, big deal. There are still one or the other of 2010-11 season events, plus two events in 2011-12 and two events in 2012-13 to balance things out.

15. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Someone told pat c at Canadians this year that one event would be in the east and one in the west.

http://twitter.com/SkateCanadaCEO/statuses/10243133133

Sounds like they're having some issues with the new bidding process. They're actually holding a workshop on how to bid for an event at the ACGM this year. One of my friends commented that if you need to have a workshop, the process is probably too hard. :lol:

16. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Is it true, or just a rumour that the location for Skate Canada will be announced in November?

;)

kwanfan1818, mella, jtpc and 5 others like this.
  17. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

It sure feels like it doesn't it? ;)

18. jp1andonly

jp1andonly Well-Known Member

the bid process is complicated and you need to do A LOT of leg work before even submitting it. Rationale for doing it the new way. If SC wants to continue receiving funding from the gov't it must rotate the competitions aorund the country. In some instances the costs greatly out weight the revenues coming in. If clubs bid on it, they will have an established volunteer base, a lot of the leg work will be done for htem and in reality only bigger areas with support will bid on events. That means that SC doesnt have to rotate events but they still get their funding (we could see the same location recieve events year after year based on the new structure)

19. nyrak

nyrak Active Member

Ha ha, the event is supposed to be October 29-31, so probably.....;)

20. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Well, I hope it's not in some far-off corner of Canada...........there are a lot of them :D

I was hoping for Kingston but I guess that too much to hope for at this point, but Montreal would be nice. :)

21. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

I'm assuming that if Winnipeg gets the bid for worlds, they will want to hold a test event in the next year or two. I'm assuming this because it's what they did in Edmonton in 1996. It has been almost 10 years since Winnipeg has hosted a big event, so I would think that would be a wise plan. From that point, they can then make decisions about Skate Canada and Canadians.

But, that is making the big assumption that Winnipeg will win the bid to host the world championship. Just a possibility for the delay...

Probably more likely that the new bid process is causing some hasstles... based on what has been described in the discussion.

22. normie

normie New Member

Maybe Vancouver will get to host Skate Canada this year. It's been a while since we hosted an international skating event (he!he!).

All kidding aside, I hope it is given to Winnipeg. My goal is to visit all the provincial capitals via Skate Canada competitions (I have visited 5 of them now). I would love an opportunity to visit Winnipeg.

But which ever city is chosen, I look forward to finding out soon.

23. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

So true! It's been like WEEKS since we have had ANYTHING!!!! :drama:

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Yukari Lepisto

Yukari Lepisto Active Member

Whitehorse or Yellowknife works for me :lol:

25. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Are you me? One of my goals is to visit every Canadian province and territory before I kick it. Maybe Skate Canada will be held in Nunavut?

26. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Yes! Nunavut! I'm there!

27. newfsfan

newfsfan New Member

What's weather like and how many day light hours during that time of the year in Nunavut?

28. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Balmy, tropical. :summer: :psoty:

;)

29. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

30. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Wheee!:cheer2: