Skate America 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, May 4, 2012.

1. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

'Toto, I don't think we're talking skating anymore'

But, anyway, the answer may well be 'yes' ... to which thought you'll have to guess.

2. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Kudos to the arena for showing the camera and judge placements on the chart.

I had a great time in Everett, and I'm looking forward to Kent.

3. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

It's all AJ Skatefan's fault!!!!!!! :lynch:

4. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Actually, I did for Kent, and yes there are very affordable hotel rates very near by the venue.

5. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

Don't think it's hate, they just don't care about half their fans. Few events in years, no TV coverage of major events (this applies to all coasts, but it's really bad when you can't watch OR go). They want us to take up other interests. I'm doing that.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

East Coaster here - don't feel guilty, enjoy it. I am disappointed, naturally, because I haven't been to an event in years. But there are other fun ways to spend what would have been my skating dollar if the USFSA doesn't want it.

7. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

One thing I will say to those saying that one reason for the supposed lack of bidding on events is that skating doesn't bring in the money it used to... Skating didn't always bring in the money it used to. Somehow up until the past five, maybe ten years, Nationals made the rounds of the country pretty evenly. Particularly during the pre-Nancy/Tanya years. There were fewer arenas in those days because every dinky town didn't have one. While Nationals is still a big show and needs a decent sized place, Skate America could be in a lot of places, size-wise. I'd love to know the truth of the "nobody bids" story. Is it true, and if so, why.

8. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I would love to go to Washington for an event because they sound welll run and well attended. Alas, my work schedule has no room for major vacation travel in the 4Q. After last year's awful attendance, I am just glad they found a taker that might break that spell.

9. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

It's terrific to have an event in your backyard, but there are non-stops from NYC to Seattle that would take about the same time it takes multiple flights to get to some East Coast towns, or Amtrak to get to Williamsport + the bus to Lake Placid. Also, the tickets in the Kent arena are well-priced and the hotels are cheaper than they would be in many East Coast locations. I know some folks don't like flying but hopefully there is a bright side for other NYers.

10. Lizziebeth

Lizziebeth the real Lizziebeth

Just for fun, I checked the air fares from Mpls to Seattle and they were't too bad. Apparently Delta has some competition for people going to Seattle and there are some non stop flights! Who knew? Ticket prices are reasonable too. Looks like a possibility.

11. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Yes major airlines have non stop flights to Seattle from major cities in the U.S. And Kent is not too far to the airport. Kent is, however, kind of far from the middle of Seattle and is not that exciting of a place. If people want to do some Seattle sightseeing, I'd advise tacking on a couple of days.

12. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

I think Kent not being exciting might be a bit of an understatement :shuffle:

13. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Kent is very close to the airport and the Link Light Rail System, so an easy ride to Downtown. It is also close to Seattle's HOOOOGE mall, Southcenter. Also, the scariest Wal-Mart I've ever been to.

14. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I need to find a way to a Dick's Drive-In while I'm there. I remember their burgers fondly from my trip to Seattle.

15. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

How many extra bags of stuff do you take home with you when you go to SA? :lol:

16. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

SA in Ontario? Not too far for me. Just one hour by plane.

17. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Sounds naughty. :EVILLE:

Beefcake likes this.
  18. minignome

minignome New Member

You likely won't. West coast events (if there is any live coverage), tend to start early so they can counter to the east coast folks who don't like to be inconvenienced by bedtimes. Then, they tape delay them on the west coast so that we have to stay up late to see an event that's been over for 3 hours :slinkaway

19. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I have a pretty good idea of where I'll be staying, etc.
    I won't be able to finalize my plans until Monday, though.

20. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

At least the Skate America coverage on NBC is in real time. At least, it was last year. The only annoying bit was switching between the Ice Network stream, and the NBC broadcast. I wonder which events NBC will focus on this year.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  21. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I'm just happy they've made an announcement finally. :lol:

22. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

If Johnny or Evan show up, I have a good idea....

23. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

nevermind

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  24. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

Oh, I'm almost half-convinced that they'll assign them both to SA. Because what a hype machine that would be :rofl:

25. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Who's Gregoire and why is he kowtowing/pandering for Skate America of all things? :shuffle:

Oh and will there be a shuttle? :saint:

26. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Christine Gregoire is the lame duck (not running for re-election) Governor of Washington State. I believe the poster was insinuating that she was somehow involved in browbeating someone into giving SA to WA State again. Although I'm not really sure.

27. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

:p :lol:

If you must know, I actually don't buy that much stuff--I just like the experience of shopping even if I don't end up buying anything. Some people hike in the wilderness--I like to wander around urban environments or faux urban environments or aisles inside big box stores with my mocha latte. That said, I have my usual list of stuff that I buy when I cross the border (i.e. eggs, tuna fish, pop, crackers, english muffins, condensed sweentened milk, bottled water, coffee, toiletries, etc). And as I will be here for a few days, my duty free limits are higher. And I still have my unused gift card from Kohl's...

And last time I attended SA, I got free bars of soap. If the opportunity arises again (hint, hint), I will take!

But I will say this--American grocery bags are so much bigger and sturdier! Great for taking out the garbage. And they give you lots--they don't skimp out like us Canadian cheapskates who hide behind the environment movement (looking at you, Loblaws!).

I was planning on going to SA regardless of the location (except Pheonix!)--that I save on airfare is a nice bonus.

As for shuttles, a lot of the hotels have area shuttles. But not many of them are 24-hours. Not sure they would be able to pick people up at the end of the night.

28. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

:cool: Seattle Times article re: 2012 SA

29. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

From the article:

That is small!

30. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Yes, it is a tiny venue compared with Ontario's glitzy arena. SilverFox has been there a couple of times for ice shows. She isn't sure that people will be able to walk around the whole perimeter of the arena. Hence, the blocked off end zone to the right of the judges. Maybe AJ can fill us in on that.