Skate America 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, May 4, 2012.

1. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I'm just happy they've made an announcement finally. :lol:
  2. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

If Johnny or Evan show up, I have a good idea....
  3. sus2850

sus2850 Member

nevermind
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
  4. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

Oh, I'm almost half-convinced that they'll assign them both to SA. Because what a hype machine that would be :rofl:
  5. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Who's Gregoire and why is he kowtowing/pandering for Skate America of all things? :shuffle:

Oh and will there be a shuttle? :saint:
  6. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Christine Gregoire is the lame duck (not running for re-election) Governor of Washington State. I believe the poster was insinuating that she was somehow involved in browbeating someone into giving SA to WA State again. Although I'm not really sure.
  7. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

:p :lol:

If you must know, I actually don't buy that much stuff--I just like the experience of shopping even if I don't end up buying anything. Some people hike in the wilderness--I like to wander around urban environments or faux urban environments or aisles inside big box stores with my mocha latte. That said, I have my usual list of stuff that I buy when I cross the border (i.e. eggs, tuna fish, pop, crackers, english muffins, condensed sweentened milk, bottled water, coffee, toiletries, etc). And as I will be here for a few days, my duty free limits are higher. And I still have my unused gift card from Kohl's...

And last time I attended SA, I got free bars of soap. If the opportunity arises again (hint, hint), I will take!

But I will say this--American grocery bags are so much bigger and sturdier! Great for taking out the garbage. And they give you lots--they don't skimp out like us Canadian cheapskates who hide behind the environment movement (looking at you, Loblaws!).

I was planning on going to SA regardless of the location (except Pheonix!)--that I save on airfare is a nice bonus.

As for shuttles, a lot of the hotels have area shuttles. But not many of them are 24-hours. Not sure they would be able to pick people up at the end of the night.
  8. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

:cool: Seattle Times article re: 2012 SA

9. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

From the article:

That is small!
  10. LadyNit

Yes, it is a tiny venue compared with Ontario's glitzy arena. SilverFox has been there a couple of times for ice shows. She isn't sure that people will be able to walk around the whole perimeter of the arena. Hence, the blocked off end zone to the right of the judges. Maybe AJ can fill us in on that.
  11. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

:D I did say it was all about me.

East coasters stop whining. Go when an event is close and buy a subscription to either Icenetwork or Universal sports online for those that aren't. The subscription is waaaaaaay less then tickets, hotel, food, etc., and they cover the entire season's events. Skating can be watched if you really want to watch. I manage to see all the GP events (except those in Asia broadcast in the middle of the night and that's my choice because I don't get up to watch), Europeans, Worlds, Russian nationals, US nationals...all for less than the price of one ticket. I'd go to a live event if it were close and convenient, but when it's not, I don't worry about it.
  12. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Told you!
  13. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Well, I could walk around the perimeter when I was there to watch hockey but this may be a different story. I do remember that the concessions were good. Many different types of beer and fresh roast beef sandwiches. But yeah, small.
  14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

They did host Cirque du Soleil in a big tent in the Boeing parking lot for one show. (I don't remember which one, because I thought it was a snooze.) That's about as exciting as it gets there.

If the host hotel Hilton is by the airport, there are plenty of airport hotels in the area, with shuttles to and from the airport where there is light rail (LINK) into downtown Seattle for $2.75 each way, and it's relatively quick. Alas, by then, free downtown bus service should be gone. For anyone who wants to rent a car, there are plenty to be had at Seatac.

manhn, you're forgetting the two outlet malls north of Seattle. Wheeeee! for the $400 customs allowance for 48 hours out of Canada!
    LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  15. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

Just got my tickets.....they are very cheep for row #3. $125 plus "fees" I wasnt even going due to the cost of Worlds next year but since it is a short drive away from Spokane and the nearby hotels are cheep, I figured I might as well.....(BTW, they are using a sane ordering technique...you can pick your seat......thankfully.)
    Miki, Please come!
    Chris
  16. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

East coast will get Nats2014 before Olympics.....you heard it here first.
    I have spoken.
  17. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

BTW, If you want your tickets tonight, the three letter secret code just MIGHT be the abbreviation for the United States of America. Expires at Midnight....
  18. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I know, isn't it great? We totally rock! :respec:
  19. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

On NO! Yes, once again I am famous....look for me 23 seconds into the 30 second promotional video...there goes Davis and White...but who is that shadowy figure in the front row seat, next to the railing...indeed, the only front row seat in the section...the seat that all the skaters and coaches who come up from the underworld , past the railing, have to walk by....yes, its the old Coyote.....:biggrin:
    All aligations that I tried to grab Alissa and Carolina are totally.....uh.....what did your president Clinton say....plausable deniability?....yeah, something like that....
  20. jlai

jlai Title-less

So...how do you get to Kent by flight? Fly into Seattle? And then what do I do?
  21. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Kent is, like, a 15-20 minute drive from the airport. A lot of the hotels will have an airport shuttle.

I don't know if it's an American thing but Seattle seems to have a lot of small little cities. It seems like every block has their own city named after them.
  22. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

Shuttle! Drink! :nopryde:
  23. LadyNit

Use google maps to locate the Seatac airport and then get directions to go from the airport to Showare arena in Kent. Google says it is approximately 18 minutes by car, 54 minutes by bus and they show the bus route#s to take. Or call the hotel you are interested in and find out what they suggest for transportation.
  24. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Never mind the drink! Are you going to be there?????
  25. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

Yep! Now if people want to start posting hotel recommendations that would be most helpful. :)
  26. jlai

jlai Title-less

There are three hotels listed on SKAM's website. Two of them are airport hotels, and Hampton Inn is over 2 miles away?

There seems to be a Quality Inn & Suites within walking distance and that's the only one I've found so far. And no airport shuttle. I'm totally going by google map though
  27. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I use expedia. They have a list of all the hotels in the Sea-Tac area with their fees, amenities, etc.
  28. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

According to Wikipedia, the arena has a capacity of 6,500 for hockey. Judging by this photo from inside the ShoWare Center, I'd assume the 6,500 number is closer to correct than 3,940.
  29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The "Seattle" airport, Seatac, is halfway between Seattle and Tacoma, Washington. It's actually closer to Kent than to Seattle.

It's ten miles by taxi to the arena. From the airport itself, it takes as long to get to the arena as it does from Seattle (~45 minutes) because of the transfer, but if you walk and extra .2 mi (.3 mi altogether) to International Blvd. the road at the back of the airport, you can take the 19-minute direct ride on the MT-180.
  30. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

31. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Well. At least it's not Spokane.
  32. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Now now now, I've been all 3 times in Spokane ('03 SA, '07 Nats, '10 Nats) and they were awesome hosts each time. ;)
  33. LadyNit

But if you look at the arena layout for ticket sales, they have blocked out the whole right end of the arena. If those seats aren't for sale, I'd guess they knock the total seat count down by at least a 1000+.
    Really and (deleted member) like this.
  34. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Okay...some sweet person *coughcoughmanhncoughcough* got tickets, and I've book at the Doubletree for Mr. Really and me. No, he won't come watch the skating, but he'll be there...:)
  35. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I'll wait to hear from a couple of folks (ya know who you are) before I make hotel arrangements. I usually stay at the Hilton Garden in nearby Renton. Since I will be driving, I don't need to be too close.

Especially since I read that the arena has free parking. Uhm, really? Awesome! Or I'll just park at the nearby movie theatre or mall.
  36. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

And the Davenport Hotel has a fantabulous bar! :nopryde:

Kudos to the event organizers for making the ticket buying process the easiest I've ever encountered! Loved being able to pick my desired section and click right on the seats I wanted. And we aren't forced to sit opposite from the judges for TV purposes!
  37. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

LURVE the Grand Hyatt in downtown Seattle. :psoty: :rockstar:
  38. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Joshua Farris should skate senior next year and be picked for Skate America: he was born in nearby Renton, 8 mi. away from the arena.
  39. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Kent Reporter article: Figure skating insider helps Kent land 2012 Skate America
    Excerpts:
    Another excerpt from the Seattle Times article (the link was posted earlier):
    ETA link to this Seattle Weekly blog article: Skate America Chooses Kent (of All Places) and the Financially Struggling ShoWare Center
  40. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Just a tip for folks going to Kent. A bunch of us went to Kent for a Disson show this past season. ShoWare is newish, nice and compact, clean and neat with great sightlines. Nice smaller arena, very comfortable.

As several people noted the hotel rates in the area are favorable and decent food costs are not high (and the salmon is fantastic!).

One warning - quite a few members of our group found taxis from SeaTac airport to the Hampton Inn (10 minutes worth, maybe a bit more) in Kent inconsistent from traveler to traveler and very high (and I mean VERY). After one day counting on taxis we decided to rent a SUV and it helped enormously (the rental rates from an airport-based car rental were very reasonable - be careful, not the same rates as non-airport rental bases, research and compare).

I would suggest being thoughtful about ground transportation and do the best you can for yourself in terms of shuttles, shared car, etc. or you could easily blow your budget. To say that there nothing to do in Kent is an undertstatement but that shouldn't be relevant as you have downtown Seattle (the light rail is terrific!) and of course the skating. There's an excellent Italian restaurant across the road within very short walking distance of ShoWare - there are other restaurants in that extended strip mall diagonally across the road so that's very helpful and again, reasonable.

Yes, the big mall is fantastic shopping if shopping is your thing - again, it costs real money to get there if you don't have a car (it was after the round trip cost to the mall that I threw in the towel and rented the SUV - taxi costs were ridiculous and I'm from NY and very used to cabs!). Downtown Seattle is just wonderful. The light rail into town is fast, clean, cheap, just great - again, the trick is the cost of getting to and from the light rail station.

Getting your ground transportation sorted out should ensure a great trip with a controlled budget.