Skate America 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by pat c, Oct 29, 2011.

1. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Lake Placid used to have a small airport (not too long ago), okay it was in Saranac Lake but close. Continental flew there a couple of times a day out of Albany or Boston on tiny regional carriers. I don't think there are any flights there anymore.

There's also van/bus service to the Olympic training center in LP out of the Albany airport but they refuse to take anyone else even if the van is empty. :rolleyes:

2. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

They also had TWO Olympics. I'm all for another SkAmerica in Lake Placid!

3. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I would love to go to Lake Placid someday, but....

For this event... it's not worth the cost/expense. (Although I admit after seeing the "quality" you get as "event one" on the circuit I doubt I am traveling to SA again anytime soon.)

4. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Totally agree. For most people who don't live near by Lake Placid, we can save the money and go to Worlds instead.

5. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Skaters don't rent cars in lp, they simply just get drunk and steal them! :p

6. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Yes, so...? :p Apparently you missed where I said the FIRST requirement for the host city (per the bid application) is an international airport. Hence my wondering how it ended up in LP a few seasons ago. The LOC or the USFS is responsible for getting the athletes and officials to the venue locations. That becomes more complicated and expensive, I would imagine, when people could be coming in to any of the NYC metro airports or Boston, or perhaps a more western NY airport or Hartford, CT.

Having previously hosted Olympics or other skating event is definitely something they would consider in the venue and prior event history part of the application.

And my original comment pertained to why LOCs were not bidding and the requests of the ISU/USFS in regards to location/hotels demands, etc.

If Lake Placid was an easy drive, I'd be up for it as well. :lol: However, living in the midwest it would be a very long and expensive 2 or even 3 day trek. And regardless of how "convenient" it is to some posters, I seriously doubt whether the athletes, coaches, and officials consider it a convenient location.

:duh: I knew the USFS forgot something when writing up the application info! :p

7. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

The 1980 olys were a nightmare transportation wise, and probably one of the last olys held completely in the mts. Most recent olys seem to have the outdoor events in a remote location and the base and indoor stuff like skating in a city, although socci does seem like the middle of nowhere to me.

Anyway, I'm sure an oly rink gets some points, as well as a town with experience, but I doubt the ex oly status counts for much as who cares if SA is close to good downhill slopes and gets plenty of natural snow in feb. apples and oranges.

8. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Yes, in 04. There is a mall right by the arena with a nice food court and a Hilton across the street...plus other hotels nearby..

9. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I guess if only one place bids, and it doesn't have an international airport, that is how it winds up in a place without an international airport. :D

10. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Did they even bid? Or did USFS have to go begging? Beggars can't be choosy!

11. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I keep thinking there will be an announcement in the thread :wuzrobbed

12. missing

missing Well-Known Member

I'm assuming no announcement has been made?

13. UDelpairs2012

UDelpairs2012 New Member

You can fly to Lake PLacid it isn't hard. Cape Air has flights from Boston to Saranac Lake and then you take a taxi over to Lake Placid. I did it for Junior Nationals back in 2009. The planes are very small but if that doesn't bother you it was a gorgeous flight.

14. JamieElena

JamieElena Active Member

I seem to recall reading more than a few skater's blogs about the lengthy train and/or bus rides to competition locations in Asia. And LP isn't a 4 hour drive from Albany or Syracuse. It was a 4 hour drive for me from Rochester AND.....

that drive would be much nicer as compared to 2009 SA which was the 5th GP that year and it was past peak for fall foliage. I remember saying to my sister how beautiful our drive would have been if SA had been held on it's normal schedule.

Getting to LP in October may be easier than in November because of the fall foliage - just guessing that probably there's more travel options like these flights available cause it'll still be "in season". Of course that probably means hotel rates would be higher :shuffle: too.

On the plus side, LP has a lot of the things we all grumble about there not being in other venues, i.e, there were plenty of restaurants open after comps and boy oh boy, did that little village know we were there and were totally embracing of the skate fans. I'll be totally jealous of everyone who gets to go should it be assigned to LP again.

15. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

I vote for Detroit. Retro fit the Cobo arena. Maybe re visit the 'whack heard round the world' and people to buy tickets to 'guided tours' of 'what happened behind the curtain and all of that. It won't be an anniversary of the 1994 attacks, but let's get some broader media attention on the sport to get some butts in the seats for a Skate America shall we? Given all the skaters training the Detroit area, I'll bet the stands could at least look partly more full than usual just with the family and friends contingents. Otherwise, hosting this event to empty arenas is just plain embarrassing.

16. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I'd be all about Detroit, but Skate Canada is in Windsor next year, so I don't think they'll put two international events within a few miles of each other. :(

17. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

It would make expenses for the ISU a lot cheaper-- those who have to go to every event could take a bus instead of a plane.

18. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

From your mouth to the ISU's ears! :)

19. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Given the dire economic straights of the Detroit area, for the event to be successful it would have to draw on Canadian fans, and with SC in Windsor, I'd wonder whether the target audience might not already be committed to SC. So while it might be great for the ISU, I don't think it would end up being great for USFS or the LOC.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Any rumors about bidders? (trying to plan this year's vacations).

21. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I vote for Phoenix

22. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

ME TOO! :cheer2:

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. azcalder

azcalder Member

Me three.......

24. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Phoenix would be fantastic!!! :respec::respec::respec:

25. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Is Pheonix really a possibility? I am planning on going to a US city in May and Pheonix was my #1 choice. But if SA is in Pheonix, maybe I'll go to Chicago instead...

I was hoping Vegas. Is there anyway a US Nats or SA could go to Vegas?

26. Vash01

I don't see why not, esp. for SA. The weather is a lot like Phoenix (cool/pleasant and dry), lots of places to stay and eat. The only thing I don't know is if they have a large enough arena for the ice.

Talking of Phoenix, I have not heard anything about bringing either SA or the US nationals to Phoenix. It's just my desire.

Another selling point for Phoenix may be its proximity to one of the seven wonders in the world- the Grand Canyon National park. People can see the park and the skating in one trip.

27. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

if its phoenix i bet they'll be using Jobing.com Arena in Glendale.

28. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I'd be allowed to go to Detroit. :) I have relatives there. So I vote for it. But, in all seriousness, Phoenix is a really great option (and I have a friend who'll be gone at school, but maybe I could crash by her folks? That would be nice).

29. Vash01

It's a beautiful arena. I have visited it many times for the Coyotes (NHL) games, and once for COI. It's a bit away from the center of the metropolis, but skating fans don't care.:lol: Their food selection is rather limited (not many vegetarian choices) and there are fewer restaurants within walking distance. From that perspective, the US Airways center is far better. However, the Suns play there, so it won't work for the nationals, but could easily work for SA.

30. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Phoenix IS a beautiful area, plus it is easy to get to from wherever you are coming from (a big deal for me). Detroit would be wonderful too. So would Cincinnati. There are so many good choices; I hope they choose an area that is easy to reach.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.