Skate America 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by pat c, Oct 29, 2011.

1. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

It's an odyssey when you have to take two flights to get to Albany and then drive a few hours after that to get to LP. I live in the South and my trips to Vancouver have been shorter than my trip to LP. It also adds the expense of a rental car or another form of transportation.

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    I've never been to Lake Placid.
    Much as I would like to attend events there, the available transportation options are not feasible for me.
    I'm in the South, also.

3. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Not everyone drives :shuffle:

Just to show I'm not a total East Coast hater :p - I would LOVE if SA went to Atlanta :cheer2:

4. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Lake Placid FTW. :p

5. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

Oooh, this! Indy is SO easy to navigate!

6. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Then how do you get there? :confused: I tried to see if a bus from Albany was feasible last time, but the bus schedule wouldn't work out with the flight schedule.

7. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Since it has been announced (in the JGP thread), that there's a JGP in Lake Placid over the Labour Day weekend 2012, I doubt that they would put SA there 6 weeks later.

But stranger things have happened ....

8. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

How about:

Providence RI
    Worcester MA
    Norfolk VA
    Albany NY
    Hershey PA
    Charlotte NC

I think all of those have arenas that house minor league hockey. Do they have skate club sponsors?

I'd do Hartford, Pittsburgh, Lake Placid, or Reading again too. Maybe I will finally see the Pagoda.

9. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I don't think a local skate club is needed as a sponsor for SA. It's an ISU event, so the USFSA is considered the LOC, I think.

I'd go for Hershey - that's an easy drive for me. Providence would be good, too - cheap, direct flight on SW. Same with Albany. Charlotte is also direct. I think Norfolk and Worcester are too far off the beaten path.

10. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

that was my point - the requirement of a couple of hours of driving added on to whatever other travel is necessary makes LP a really challenging location.

11. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

we should be grateful if anyone bids on it noting this years attendance

12. siggy

siggy Member

We'll be lucky if ANY city, ANYWHERE in the US will bid on SA. All I ask for is an easy airport to fly into, hotels close to arena and couple of restaurants. I'm only there for the skating.

I don't have any idea what is required to bid for the event, but there must be some reason for the lack of bids from many of the cities everyone mentions as ideal locations. Does anyone know?

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

PDF documents from the USFS site:
    2012 Skate America Bid Information (8 pages)
    Original bid timeline (outdated now):
    2012 Skate America Bid Application & Budget Forms (18 pages)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  14. jenji124

jenji124 Well-Known Member

this, and what would happen in the case that no one did bid on it? is it just assigned or is the event cancelled?

15. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

When similar stuff has happened with Regionals, USFS usually contacts a club that has hosted before and could do a good job and convinces/begs them to take it on.

If that's what SA 2012 comes to (begging a former host city), I can foresee it being in Lake Placid. Please, no.....

16. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

It's perplexing to me (as a west coaster) why Hershey doesn't get SA. I know that they have applied for events in the past. It would be a nice event for the skaters-- the Hershey Hotel could be the official hotel and it only takes about 25 minutes to get to Hershey from Harrisburg International Airport. The event would draw folks from New York, Philly, New Jersey, Maryland, DC, and NoVa. It could be a fantastic event.

17. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I thought that an LOC had to apply to USFS for it - doesn't have to be a skate club, but it can be or a skate club can be part of the LOC. I don't think lots of sports promoters or arenas will be stepping up without urging from a skate club if they saw the attendance this year, unless they have a strong skating base in the area like Lake Placid or they have done it before.

18. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Based on the ISU/USFSA demands, it is no wonder no LOCs are lining up to bid on Skate America.

Considering one of the things they ask for is a local airport (preferably with direct international flights), I don't know how the event ever ended up in Lake Placid. :shuffle:

19. emason

emason Well-Known Member

It wouldn't draw me from NY, I can tell you that. Atlantic City, though - I'd be happy to hop on the gambling bus for another trip down there.

20. peibeck

For 2012, Hilton is again the title sponsor, so a Hilton hotel would have to be the official hotel. (At least that is how I read the USFS application.)

21. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Springfield, ma did SA back in 95 iirc.
    What venue is in Albany?
    Im not sure why Prov doesn't get anymore events. Was it usfs or prov that said "never again!" ?

22. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

sometimes I'm too dumb to know when people r being sarcastic. Any who, it was the 30 year anniversary of the very first event which took place in lp before it even got slapped with the SA name, so you'd really have to kinda a dick to deny them. Then again, it's usfs. :p

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. peibeck

Yes, I was being sarcastic. :lol:

I didn't realize (or didn't remember) it was the 30th anniversary of SA (or whatever it was called when it first started) when Lake Placid last hosted it a few years ago. Honestly, I don't remember much discussion about it, as otherwise I would have at least understood why it was being held there.... so many hours away from any airport.

It seems some posters here are quite anxious to see Lake Placid as the host again. For the sake of the athletes/coaches and many people who don't want to have to rent a car and/or take a four-hour bus ride from a major city to get there... I hope it isn't. Sorry. :shuffle:

24. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

25. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

If this event had a $2,000,000 "spend" for Ontario I would be beyond shocked.

Reading that application packet really was amazing. They want the arena to just be donated with basically no real ablity to make any money. To me that's just going to be tough.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  26. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I don't care if it's LP, or Middle of nowhere, NY as long as I can drive to it :shuffle: Yes, it's all about me :D

27. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

^ This. Plus I can drive there. :)

28. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

The original name for Skate America was Flaming Leaves because it was held in Lake Placid on Columbus Day weekend, the height of foliage season tourism.

29. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

I hear you. I went to SA in Lake Placid and it's the only event I've been able to go to in what seems like years. Give us something in the Northeast please! By the way, I loved Lake Placid SA. Athletes have somehow managed to get to LP for decades, so I'm sure they'd find a way.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Same here. I like to avoid the airports if possible. Not afraid of flying, just sick of the airport hassle.

I drove from DC to NYC, stayed with a friend, then NYC to LP the next day. Great outlet shopping along the way. Loved it.

Then for Nationals, the same friend took the train from NYC to DC, stayed overnight with me, and we drove to Greensboro the next day.

We are hoping for an SA roadtrip in 2012.