Sjoukje Dijkstra

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by olympic, Feb 24, 2011.

1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

This is one olympic champ / multiple world champ I haven't seen much discussed on FSU.

She finished 2d to Carol Heiss at the '60 Olympics, then won the '64 Olympics quite convincingly [all 1st place ordinals from the 9 judges]. I believe she was a multiple world champ, too.

So, was she really strong in Figures? Good free skater? I think I read that in Squaw Valley she skated before Carol, and was really strong with the double axel which I interpreted to mean she was an athletic skater. I think I also read that she didn't score below 5.8 in the free skate at Innsbruck ['64]. This would all suggest a really dominant skater...

I was also curious to know about her post-competitive career. Any involvement in skating?

Interesting that Netherlands is radical about Speed Skating, but not figure skating.

poths and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Squibble

Squibble New Member

3. olympic

I forgot that the Dutch had a 2d skater - Joan Haanappel, who was 5th at Squaw Valley.

4. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

Well, the same judge ranked Burka 4th in figures, where most judges had her second or third, so your unstated assumption may be wrong...

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

6. floskate

floskate Vacant

It was the Czech judge and as has been said, the same judge had Burka 4th in figures for 3rd overall which is exactly where she finished. I'm not sure what your point was?

ETA: The most controversial thing I ever saw about Dijkstra was a clip of her landing a double axel at 1962 Worlds - she had an awesome double axel btw - and Jim McKay saying how amazing it was that a woman 'her size could jump so high'. :eek: Wish I could find the clip and upload it.

ETA2: Found this though - Sjoukje looking back at her 1960 Europeans victory. Seems like a fluff piece from the Netherlands version of Dancing on Ice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hryTI3C9vJU

7. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Where is she on this video ? I've always wondered who was on this video !

Anyway, from the other videos, I admit that she doesn't look exactly like a pretty princess, lol

8. skatesindreams

Blonde lady; black short dress, taller than others.

9. olympic

BTW, how do you pronounce her first name? :eek:

10. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Very roughly SHOW-kyeh (where the first syllable sort of rhymes with 'how')

this link isn't about here, but it should give you an idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gel6Jl81uSE

11. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Her name is so cool.

12. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

As was her bouffant Olympic FS hairdo! :swoon: LOVE it!

I can smell the Aqua-Net through my computer monitor.

13. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

IIRC, in Rise (the movie) Peggy mentioned her as an example of the style of skating she herself did not want to present.

14. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

Well, in a Dutch publication recently, Dijkstra said that "Puny Peggy" shouldn't look back and try to flatter herself--that she couldn't have presented that style of skating if she'd tried! ;)

ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  15. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Sjoukje looks shockingly athletic for a Late 50s- Early 60s skater, although her physical features are very typical native Dutch.

Clips I had scene in the past always made her skating look dated, primarily because they always featured that antiquated upright spin technique.

However, she is so fast and her jumps are rock solid. The curve and run out from her 2S is quite impressive to the extent that I might believe she was exiting a very powerful triple. I think my favorite combination of moves is the split lutz into axel.

16. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Me-ow! :cat:

Sjoukje Dijkstra :kickass:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  17. neptune

I guess she hadn't had her Tender Vittles yet when she said that. ;)

That's right--don't mess with Girlfriend Dijkstra! That same leg she used for jumping comes in pretty handy for kicking too!! I hear that even Tonya is afraid to meet her in a blind alley at night!!! :D

18. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

:lol:

Anyway, I don't think Peggy WANTED to try Dijkstra's style-because well it just wasn't very elegant. She was awesome but frankly I prefer Peggy's style-a combination of elegance, grace with athletic jumps which she had in her arsenal-maybe not as powerful as Sjoukje but she had them. And outside of figure skating between the two it seems it is Peggy who is more widely known-her beauty as well as her talent took her farther than Dijkstra could ever hope imo.

Had she lived-I wonder how Laurence Owen would have done versus Dijkstra leading up to the Olympics. She seemed to have the same combo as Peggy-artistry and athleticism.

If only. :(

The pronunciation sounded something like CHOW-Key DEKStrah.

Love it :cool:

19. neptune

Wasn't 1968 the first time the Winter Olympics were really televised big-time? I think Carol Heiss Jenkins said that, in 1960, you just got a little bit of coverage after the evening news--nothing hard-core. So, besides Peggy's looks and elegance, the expanded coverage probably played a big role as well.

Yeah, it's a shame we'll never know. :(

20. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Considering the time, a _lot_ would depend on Owen's figures.

Dijkstra was sort of a forerunner of Beatrix Schuba. Her size helped her figures so she had very strong lead going into the free skating.

But unlike Schuba (who apparently was thinking: "I've already won, why knock myself out now?") Dijkstra did put a lot of effort into her free skating.
    She was no fairy princess and was too smart to try to go that route (though she certainly was elegant in her own way). I think her free skating has aged remarkably well. Fast and clean and powerful.

21. olympic

that hair-do is epic :lol: Higher than Jill Trenary, and she could show those 80s gals what high hair really means!

22. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Great vids, guys.

I can't believe that 2 axel :eek: Imagine if she had have pulled in tight....she'd have been close to a triple.

I love her size and power, Peggy Flemming can feck off.

I remember hearing Dijkstra commentate on British Eurosport during the 1995 Ladies FP (she was praising a young Sebesteyen). Does she commentate for Dutch Eurosport?

23. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more.

When all is said and done, there's no better way to skate.

24. lotte86

lotte86 New Member

No she does not. I don't think she does anything with skating anymore (edit: just saw a interview from 2 days ago and she is involved, there is a new skating board (here in Holland) to help young skaters financially and Sjoukje is in the management of that board).

Joan Haanappel used to comment for the dutch eurosport, but she quit a few years ago. She is involved with the dutch skating fedaration to develop figure skating in the Netherlands.

Someone made a comment about the popularity of figure skating in the Netherlands (why it isn't).
    I am dutch and i'm not sure why it isn't popular. Speed skating is our #1 wintersport and one of our most success fullest sports ever. Figure Skating isn't high respected here, most of the people see it as only dancing in skirts and gay boys trying to be a ballerina (i ofcourse not;)). People just don't know exactly what it is. It is a popular sport during the olympic games, but other then that it barely makes the tv, so that is a also a main reason.
    We also don't seem to have the talent (at the moment) to join the top. There are some talented girls who hopefully do well in the future.

I also think that our schoolsystem is a reason why we stay left behind. Home scholing is not allowed and although there are some schools that allow more training time, it is still way less then the girls train in the us/japan/russia at the same age.

I also found a video:
    http://www.geschiedenis24.nl/andere-tijden/afleveringen/2005-2006/Sjoukje-en-Joan.html - not sure if it can be seen outside the Netherlands! This one is about Joan and Sjoukje. Most of it is speaking but there are some skating videos in between.

25. skatesindreams

I can access it in the US,
    Thank you!

26. olympic

That was me. Thanks for the detailed explanation. :)

27. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

Thank you so much for this video - even though I don't understand Dutch, it was very interesting (thanks to Google translator as well) and of course, the skating was wonderful. I loved the expression on Joan's face when she saw herself badly two footing an axel watching those films from long ago.

I believe I caught a glimpse of Maribel Vinson Owen in the press box at the World Championships in the footage. Until I saw Rise, I didn't realize that she had a second career as a reporter.

28. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I agree about the expanded coverage-but somehow I feel had the same circumstances existed in 1964 Dijkstra still wouldn't have had the same impact as a Peggy Fleming. Sonja Henie had no tv coverage at all as it didn't exist in her day, though she did have the benefit of the movies in that era-but there was something extra about her, something magical that said 'STAR' and I think Peggy had it-but not Sjoukje. And Sonja like Sjoukje was not an American-yet she became a huge movie star all the same.

Had she lived I think Laurence had a pixie quality about her that the masses would have found very appealing. I think she would have been the skating superstar of her day. Jmo.

Somehow, had they lived, I think Mama Vinson Owen would have seen to it that Laurence had her figures down to keep up with the best of them leading up to the '64 Games. Dijkstra WAS elegant in her own way but she reminds me of a skater like Arakawa-lovely elegance, great powerful jumps but her artistic interpretation imo was wanting in many ways. I think skaters like Laurence, and Peggy who followed had Dijkstra beat in that area. I think it's something you're born with.

I think in 64 Laurence just might have skated away from the pack with her balanced artistic, and athletic style-and well-honed school figures. I like to think so anyway, and I have read over the years of many who thought she would win the Games had she lived. I tend to agree with them.

29. skatesindreams

This!

30. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Absolutely!

Vinson coached Albright to OGM and she excelled at figures as well as being one of the best free skaters the US ever had. All these decades later, she still looks amazing. Not at all dated like Heiss, whom was terribly overrated IMHO.

Dijkstra IMO, was only slightly less "unwatchable" that Schuba. Slightly. And don't get me started on Sefert, who could never beat Fleming. The Dijkstra/Sefert/Schuba trio of klunky skating made was an almost mind numbingly dull decade of skating that made Owen/Fleming/Lynn trio all the more famous as a breath of fresh air. JMO.