Simple Poll: What is your favorite discipline?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Jan 28, 2013.

?

What is your favorite discipline?

1. Pairs

16 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. Men's

49 vote(s)
    36.6%
  3. Dance

40 vote(s)
    29.9%
  4. Ladies'

29 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Okay this is not a great poll for launching discussion, but what is your favorite portion of a skating championship? Not everyone wants to choose one, but this poll makes you. Although it would please Sweden, we will not include synchro.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I chose men's, dance is a close second.

When I was a little girl, I loved watching the ladies, and didn't like the men, but now I prefer powerful athletic skating, and there are only a few women who pull that off.

3. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Ladies, by a mile, but I appreciate all disciplines.

4. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I absolutely cannot choose between Men's and Dance. :drama:

5. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I've always been a fan of Men's skating more than the other disciplines & I go back to the days of John Curry!

6. sequins

sequins Active Member

I chose men's but it truly is hard to choose. I love them all but ladies would be my least fave, at the moment.

7. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Love them all. Voted for Men's. Order would be, probably, Men, Dance (the first two very close together), Pairs and then Ladies. But they are close enough that I care for all of them. Often it depends on the season and programs.

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I chose Ladies. Sasha Cohen got me into skating uberdom so I watched ladies since 2002. Once she retired, I stuck with Ladies by inertia but Men's is a close second, especially given the amazing talent out there now. Between Chan, Takahashi and Fernandez, I don't know whom to root for! :yikes:

In terms of Pairs, I like you if are you called Shen/Zhao. Otherwise not so much.

Dance is the least favorite although it can be amazing if you are V/M, D/W, etc.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  9. SkateBlades17

SkateBlades17 New Member

That's so hard between ladies, men and dance for me. It depends on who is skating. I had to go with ladies though because when it's good (like during the Kwan days) it's really good! It's interesting that Dance is tied for 1st because so much of the media and TV (especially in the US) acts like Men and Ladies is all that people care about and they leave out dance and pairs, which is a shame.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  10. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Me, too. I like the powerful and oddly enough more expressive skating I see from the men than ladies', I love dance. Pairs I just can't get into and ladiezzzzz is a snoozefest.

11. kalamalka

kalamalka Member

Men. I love the power, my early fave skaters were all men (Toller, Robin Cousins, Kurt), and there's nothing like the excitement of a final warmup group, esp with quads and 3As flying. After that, pairs - for the lifts in particular, but also the unison when it's there and variety of skills and elements. Dance is great to watch but I'm in no technik, and ladiezzz will always be ladiezzzz to me.

12. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

Men first :kickass: , Dance last :blah: ...

13. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Dance, for choreography holds my interest the most.

No discipline bores me overall. I get excited about anything.

14. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Ice dancing is my favorite. The men used to be up there, but have found it mostly unwatchable the last few years. Pairs is alright. Ladies is my least favorite. I think the best ladies, ice dancers, men, and pairs are actually pretty equal, but the middle of the pack ladies are the most boring.

15. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I picked ladies because ladies will always be where it's at.

I'm pleased to see many picking men. I think the men's event is the best to watch in person because of the level of skating. Lately it has also been the one with the most variety of program themes and styles.

Are people voting for pairs because they are pairs skaters, or because they like lifts, or what? I used to like pairs, but not really anymore. Even with how amazing the teams are, I have trouble getting into the spirit of the IJS scoring of it.

16. mustafinabars

mustafinabars Member

Dance. The women are so feisty.

17. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Wow, there are others than me (and Rfisher) who like the pairs most!:HA!:
    I like all the disciplines, but if I have to choose one, it is pairs.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. figuristka

figuristka New Member

Men first, always felt it was the most exciting. Dance second.

19. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Men, it always seems to be exciting, and there are the big jumps and powerful skating, and so many different themes and styles.

20. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

My favorite discipline to do is ice dancing. And I love watching and doing Compulsories.
    But I love watching Men, Ladies, then Pairs.
    Men is always the most exciting to me, because it's the perfect combinaison of skating skills, spins, jumps, steps, choreo (actually, I find Men to be more interesting than Ladies).