Simonenko's interview with Majorov

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TAHbKA, Oct 1, 2013.

1. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Simonenko's interview with Majorov `I wanted to become a policeman, but I'll be a sports medic instead' for r-sport.ru

After Ulrich Salchow who was competing at the beginning of last century there weren't any significantly good skaters in Sweden. A time when the Swedish skating got a boost from Russia came and Alexand Majorov junior, the pupil of Yagudin's first coach Alexandr Majorov sr. have been the national champion for the last 2 years. Majorov took bronze in JW 2011, last season he became 6th in the Europeans. last week the 22y.o. skater won the Lombardia Trophy in Milano. Andrey Simonenko spoke there to the Russian Swede.

AS: Sasha, congratulations. Were you able to live up to your own expectations in Lombardia Trophy?
    AM: The SP was good. Better than I expected. As for the LP: we were practicing the new LP since June, but it didn't work out. So we went back to the old programme. Which I haven't practiced for half a year. It was the 2nd time I skated that programme during all that time. So it was a bit tough.

AS: The execution suffered?
    AM: It felt allright physically. But am not used to the steps, so the muscles ended up being more tired than should had.

AS: What went wrong with the new programme?
    AM: Some parts were great, some not so. My legs would be too tired after - guess the structure was not very successful. Perhaps we'll go back to it next season. We'll leave the same music and change the beginning, so it will not be so stuffed. I had to put as much effort there as in the SP, which is much shorter. I have to save some resources in the LP for later so I can skate through the whole programme.

AS: Your SP is to the music of the Russian melody `Korobushka'. Is it because of the Olympics in Sochi?
    AM: No, frankly, we haven't picked the Russian piece for the Olympics. I know many will do that. I just liked that piece. Besides, I had a Russian programme in my plans. So guess it's a coincidence - the Russian Olympics, the will to try something new.

AS: You won a spot to the Olympics for Sweden in the last Worlds. Will there be a competition nationally?
    AM: Not right now. There was one good competitor: Kris Bergtsson, but he is 31y.o. and retired. The other - Adrian Schultheiss is not skating because of his back injury. As far as I know he retired and moved to Miami to coach the kids. I think he could come back had he wanted to. I wish he did. A competition would be nice. It's boring when there is no one to compete with. One needs a competition to stay in shape.

AS: How would you describe your current level? At the last Europeans you became 6th, beating the 2 times Russian national champion Sergey Voronov.
    AM: It was a great competition for me. I skated well exactly when I needed it the most. After the Europeans I realized I can do things in this sport. Now I added the quads to both my SP and LP so I feel I can climb quite high.

AS: Do you have a goal for the Olympics? Which place would be satisfying?
    AM: Not really, it also depends on how the others will perform. It's hard to predict: sometimes nothing works for you during the practice but then during the competition everything falls into it's places. And you have no idea why. Frankly - I would love to be in the top 10 at my first Olympics. The level of men skating is very high right now.

AS: Your goal for the 2nd Olympics would be different?
    AM: Well, I would love to participate the 2nd Olympics and go to South Korea. And be even higher there.

AS: Are you a star in Sweden? Do people recognize you in the streets?
    AM: Not a star at all. Helgesson sisters are popular. They are in the news and people recognize them. I live in a small town not far from Finland, so people in my town know who I am. As for nationally - guess just those who are interested in figure skating, which is not that popular in Sweden.

AS: How did you end up in Sweden?
    AM: My parents coached here. When I was just born we were going back and forth, spending half a year here and half a year in Russia. I recall vaguely how I spent time in the countryside in Russia. We moved to Sweden when I was 4. I went to the kindergarten and the school here.

AS: Do you come often to Russia?
    AM: No. Last time was in Moscow during the Worlds 2011. Prior to that - don't remember, perhaps when I was 14 or 15.

AS: When you come - do you feel home?
    AM: Hard to tell. It've been a while since I've been to my native St. Petersburg. I hang around with the Russian skaters during the competition. Or Russian speaking. That feels familiar. It's a shame there are hardly any Swedes except for me in the competitions.

AS: Are you more Swedish than Russian?
    AM: Yes. I went to a Swedish school, now attend a Swedish university, spent most of my life in Sweden. I'm fluent in Swedish and English. Not quite sure about my Russian

AS: Almost
    AM: Well, there you go

AS: What do you study in the uni?
    AM: Sports medicine. I wanted to become a policeman, but I would have to move to a different town for that. The other option was medical, but it's too demanding and I wouldn't have enough time to skate. So I ended up in something between the sports and medicine - physio. It's also quite demanding, but not as bad as medicine.

AS: Are the best skaters in Sweden professionals? Do you get a salary for your skating?
    AM: No, none. I don't have sponsors. The Swedish federation helps me go to the competitions. They also help with the training camps. It's not much, but it is something. I could apply for the Olympic scholarship , but not everyone gets it. So no, there is no salary.

AS: What about the costumes and other expenses?
    AM: We do the costumes ourselves. This year the company H&M did my costumes for the SP and for that LP which, as I mentioned, didn't work. The rest is on our expense.

AS: What do you need to work on in the nearest future?
    AM: Everything. It's just as well I didn't have an awesome skate in Milano. I didnt' fall and remained on my feet, which is ok for the beginning of the season. Had I skated too well there would be nothing left to improve for the Euros, Worlds and Olympics, I would be tired by then. Its also hard mentally to have a so so skate after a perfect one, so I'd rather improve from one competition to the other. I'd love to medal at the Europeans, but that would only be possible if the others screw something up. Right now I do all that I can.

2. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Very nice interview, I appreciate the translation TAHbKA!

3. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

Thanks for the translation. :)

H&M did his costumes? o_O I thought they couldn't care less about figure skating. And too bad, if not too surprising, about Schultheiss retiring.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. servin

servin New Member

H&M are the official sponsors of the Swedish Olympic team 2014. The have done all the team clothes. They did the dresses for Viktoria, Joshi and Alexander.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

6. reut

reut Active Member

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.