Simon & Garfunkel Question

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Catherine M, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen Simon & Garfunkel in concert before?

they are the headliners for the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival on April 24th. Normally I avoid the big acts on a weekend and stick with going on Fridays but my friend really wants to see them and before agreeing to go with her, I was just wondering if anyone has seen them in concert recently and was it any good.

2. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I saw them on their reunion tour in 2004 and they were amazing.

But I'm a lifelong fan.

3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I haven't seen them live, but I'd go if I had the chance.

4. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I'd go.

5. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

I've got tickets for the May 8th show... but that's not going to give you any information in time.

6. Catherine M

Thanks for the input! I really do want to see them but the crowd can be a bit much on Saturdays at the fest.

Anyway, I looked at the schedule again and a couple of other acts that I really like (Treme Brass Band, Better than Ezra, Tab Benoit, Rockin Dopsie, Jr.) are on for that day too so if the crowd at the Simon & Garfunkel stage is too much, I'll just move my lawn chair to another stage and pick up my friend at the front gate.

7. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I am completely jealous. Completely. Sob.

8. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

^^ ditto. Love S&G!

9. Weegie

Weegie New Member

Love Simon and Garfunkel! I saw them at Comiskey Park in Chicago in the early 80s. It's still one of the best concerts I've ever attended!

10. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

They were pretty awesome at the 25th anniversary of the rock&roll hall of fame concert back in October and all the live videos from the past few years on Youtube. I would go if I got the chance. I adore them though :)

11. icecat

icecat Active Member

I saw them in Chicago too! Absolutely no sound quality at Comisky but no one cared. amazing concert....saw the Beatles there too, of course, then all you really heard was the screaming. I still have a jelly bean that George scraped off his boot and threw into the stands. sigh
    Holy cripes that was a really long time ago, I saw a Paul Simon solo concert years later. Good times! Go..by all means go! They are icons.

12. stanhope

stanhope Active Member

Don't hesitate for a second to see S&G live. I'm going to see them live for the first time this May and I couldn't be more excited!

To get a good idea of what they sound like live in recent years, I'd do a youtube search. But here are a few of my favorites from the last five or so years:

2003 on David Letterman
    America:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ninu6q5jc4
    The Boxer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr-5zaSjfmA&feature=related

2009 Australian Tour
    Leaves That Are Green
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmPN_ZMGf5w

Speaking of S&G reuniting for a small US tour this year, I was thinking about songs I wish they would sing that are not part of their normal set list (i.e. songs like The Boxer, Scarborough Fair, Sounds of Silence, Bridge Over Troubled Water, etc...). I would love to see them include the following songs, even though I know some of them are just wishful thinking:

Bleecker Street
    Wednesday Morning 3 AM
    Anji (maybe Paul can't play this anymore)
    For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her
    Dangling Conversation
    Poem on the Underground Wall

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  13. Marilou

Marilou New Member

I'm so glad to see people's positive responses to the OP. My husband and I have tickets to see them at the end of April in Vancouver. We are really looking forward to it :)

14. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Me too! Their voices are sublime! :swoon:

15. nyrak

nyrak Active Member

Go....and take me with you!

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Oh, hell, if I had known I wouldn't have booked a trip to Dallas over that weekend :duh:

But have a wonderful time, and please report back on it :cheer2:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  17. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

We saw them in the early 1980's at Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands (Northern NJ). Excellent! Go for it. They are legendary! :encore:

18. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Saw them in '67 and enjoyed it very much. They shared billing with the Lovin' Spoonful who were also a lot of fun (though Zally had left by then). Yeah, you'll enjoy!

19. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

I so want to go to that but I thought it might be a little much considering we're already taking my niece and my boyfriend's mom to see The Lion King in July. If they were coming to Victoria I would totally be there, but when you add ferries and hotel on top of the ticket it gets pricey :(

20. Catherine M

Couple of days late with this but here are my thoughts on seeing Simon & Garfunkel on Saturday at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival.

First of all, we had biblical rain on Friday so the festival grounds was a sea of yucky mud on Saturday. Anyone who has ever been to Jazzfest after a rainstorm knows what I'm talking about. Its GROSS. And stinks of horse manure. But my friend and I were determined to go so we put on our plastic rain boots and headed off to the fairgrounds pretty early, even though the forecast was for even more thunderstorms.

The weather gods must be Simon & Garfunkel fans too as the rain moved north and except for some drizzle in the afternoon, the weather was great. We found a place to put our chairs about 3/4 of the way back from the stage, with a great view of one of the video screens. Then we asked a lady sitting by to watch our chairs and we headed off to check out some of the other music stages and get something to eat. When we got back, we assumed the position and waited for the show to start.

Its was very exciting and the crowd was really getting into the build up. When Paul & Art came out on stage, you feel the electricity in the air and the sun was beaming down! But then during the first song, my friend turns to me and says "there is something wrong with Art's mic as I can't hear him." But it wasn't his mic, after the second song, he started to speak and he was totally hoarse and could barely talk/sing. Said if it wasn't New Orleans, he wouldn't have come at all but so wanted to be at Jazzfest for the first time. Needless to say, it was very difficult for him to keep up with Paul and he actually left the stage for awhile and let Paul do some of his solo work. Hearing all their great hits in person was great and I'm so glad we got the chance to go but it was disapointing that Art wasn't 100%. He wasn't even at 50%. But I give him kudos for showing up and not canceling.

21. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

aww that's too bad because their voices together are to die for.. but you're right, they could have cancelled. Are you glad you went even though the conditions weren't ideal? :lol:

22. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Glad yall had fun. I went with a friend yesterday to see Jonny Lang. Saw some others too but none that I knew by name. It was my first trip to the JazzFest and I really enjoyed it. My goodness it was HOT, though! I was so thankful Jonny Lang played in the Blues tent because we went in there way early to get out of the sun and ended up staying in there until the day ended. It was just too hot and crowded to be walking around for me. It was nice when we first got there about 11 because it wasn't so crowded but that changed quickly. The food selection was just mind boggling, this was no state fair!

23. Catherine M

Very glad. We were talking about it at lunch how it was a once in a lifetime eventas who knows when we'll get the chance to see them in person. Though I'm hoping that since Paul Simon has been to Jazzfest a couple of times that he'll get Art to come back soon and with a strong voice!

I go to Jazzfest every year so I'm use to all kinds of conditions but Saturday's mud was the worse for me in a long, long time. Going back on Sunday to see one of my local favorites, Luther Kent and am hoping for a dry weekend.

24. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Sorry Artie's voice wasn't with him :(

I've seen him solo twice. The first time was in the dead of winter and he coughed into his hands a time or two and was, I'd say, about 80%. The second time was a few years ago in July in Kansas City and he sounded like it was 1969 and seemed to know he was in great form, as he sang four more songs than on the tour stops the night before or after that!

25. stanhope

stanhope Active Member

That's too bad about Art's voice :( I hope it is better in a few weeks when they start their North American tour! I saw Art solo last year and his voice was in fine form. Hopefully, he just had a cold and will be better soon.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

26. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Well, I just learned today that the neighbors for whom we had been picking up the mail since Friday had flown off to the New Orleans Jazz Festival. And saw Simon and Garfunkel. Harumph. She thinks Garfunkel's voice problem is more than a temporary problem, but I guess we'll see. The mud was apparently pretty gloppy where they were.

The neighbor on the other side whose mail I was picking up this weekend also went to Louisiana for a high school reunion. The world went to Louisiana this weekend, and I stayed here for three inches of snow overnight. Not fair. Not fair at all.

27. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Never saw them live, but I'd love to hear Kathy's song live ! :swoon:

28. slicekw

slicekw #FixingTheInternet

Sorry Art's voice was bad.

I saw them on the first reunion tour in the '80s in Three Rivers. They said it was one of the top 3 performances ever of "Bridge over Troubled Water" and it was magnificent. I've seen Paul solo since - he should never sing "Bridge" without Art. But "Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes" was amazing.

29. silverstars

silverstars New Member

My mom was at their concert in Central Park in 1981. SO jealous.

30. Marilou

Marilou New Member

Sorry to hear Art was struggling with his voice. Hope it's somewhat better for tomorrow night.

ETA: Just learned tomorrow night's concert has been postponed! :( :(

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010