Silvers beating someone supposed to lose and losing to someone supposed to beat

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, Apr 29, 2013.

1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

What are some of the cases where the silver medalist beat someone they were huge underdogs against, but then losing the gold medal anyway to someone they were huge favorites over. What a strange and unique dissapointment is that occurence for these individuals. Some cases that come to mind for me are:

Usova and Zhulin at 1994 Olympics- maybe not so much at the event itself after Europeans, but before the season Torvill & Dean were picked as shoo ins for the gold medal in their return, while U&Z had been shoo ins to beat G&P for years. Yet at the Olympics they beat T&D but lose the gold medal to G&P who had their first ever wins over U&Z that season. On the heels of a career of bridesmaid and waiting their turn, and tough luck in some big events, this was probably the most frusterating experience for them.

Surya Bonaly at the 1993 Worlds- Nancy Kerrigan and Lu Chen were the heavy favorites to win the 1993 World title, and Sato and Chouinard were probably the next 2 favorites. Surya Bonaly beat all of those skaters, but lost herself to newcomer Baiul who she had easily beaten at the recent Europeans.

Surya Bonaly at the 1995 Worlds- Surya beat the heavy gold medal favorite Nicole Bobek, but lost herself to Lu Chen, who had barely been promoted pre event.

Cohen at 2006 Olympics- Sasha beat the heavy pre event favorite Irina Slutskaya, but lost in a big upset to Shizuka Arakawa.

Cohen at the 2004 Worlds- Sasha upset pre event favorite Michelle Kwan, but was upset herself by Shizuka Arakawa again.

Shen & Zhao at 2000 Worlds- Shen & Zhou defeated the pre event favorites Sale & Pelletier but lost out in a big upset to Petrova & Tikhonov.

Joubert at 2008 Worlds- Joubert beat the overwhelming pre event favorite Daisuke Takahashi but lost in a major upset to Jeff Buttle.

Orser at the 1986 Worlds- Orser beat the defending World Champ Alexander Fadeev who entered the event as favorite, and seemed to have a lock on the gold medal due to a huge lead before the final free skate which he totally bombed, but ended up losing in a big upset to Brian Boitano.

Bowman at the 1989 Worlds- Bowman finished above both pre event favorites Viktor Petrenko and Alexander Fadeev, who both finished right off the podium, but lost himself in a big upset to Kurt Browning.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

I think alot of the reasons why noone was paying too much attention to Chen in the lead up to 95 worlds was because she had come off an injury which took her out of 94 worlds. She did skate and win at NHK in the fall with a great performance, landing all her jumps, but it seems she was forgotten as a gold medal contender as soon as Bobek jumped back into the scene.

3. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

That thread title gave me a migraine. :mad:

4. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

:lol: Say WHAAT??

5. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I wonder how many more absurdly convoluted outcomes JJ can come up with.

6. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

:lol: At least you could figure it out. I've only had 2 coffees so far this morning.

7. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:wideeyes: Uh yeah, a couple of double takes required ... "Slivers" or "Silvers"??? And really, what does it matter or mean exactly? Grammar brush-up JJ? FSU thread title writing brush-up??

Eh, yep, it's the off-season. :dog:

8. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Taking this seriously.....

Baiul was a surprise in 1993 but Surya not winning the World Champ title was never a surprise.
    I don't remember Petrova/Tikhonov winning over Shen/Zhao to be that big a surprise - their basics were much better in 2000, & neither team was very artistic at the time.
    Michelle Kwan was not the heavy favorite to win in 2004 - for one thing, everyone knew she was injured.
    Sasha was just as much a favorite as Irina in 2006 - either winning would have been no surprise.

9. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

I don't think Browning winning in 1989 was a huge upset over Bowman. Browning had defeated Bowman and Petrenko in events in the fall, and with the 3rd place finish in the LP at 1988 worlds, was one of the medal favourites going in.

10. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Ross miner beat Abbott but then was defeated by max aaron

11. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ In that case, wouldn't it be more like in 2011 the U.S. National bronze medalist beat someone supposed to win gold, but in 2013 that same former and defending bronze U.S. medalist favored by some to possibly win the title ended up with silver over poor luck Abbott once again but then slivered down to 14th place at Worlds. And this doesn't even factor in the Bradley, Weir, Dornbush, Lysacek et al back story/ scenarios. Woulda, shoulda, coulda, iffin' ... :shuffle:

And the World hasn't come to an end yet, but I doubt that will stop the prognosticators. :lol:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  12. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

The thread title alone requires too much brain function for a Monday.

But after reading other posts, I'll add Michelle Kwan at 1997 Nationals- who could have really expected her to lose to Tara Lipinski, at that point.

13. caseyedwards

Very true- 2011 had a lot of drama but the issue of the Bradley/Dornbush/Miner top 3 I think made it different because Abbott was 4th and not 3rd so I am not sure.

I think if Bobek won in 1997 that would have been like Lipinski beat Kwan but didn't even matter because then Bobek or whoever beat them both! That would have been interesting but didn't happen. It's rare to find this cases.

Fumie Suguri 2006 worlds. Total shock that kimmie meisner won.

14. judgejudy27

There wasnt enough space to put the title I wanted so I had to shorten it somehow. I cant believe I didnt think of the 2006 Worlds ladies event. That is a great example. Suguri beat Cohen the heavy favorite, but lost herself to Meissner who she went in much more favored then. Poor Fumie, had she won the Oly bronze and World gold in 2006 she would have retired after missing Worlds in 2007 for sure.

15. judgejudy27

Hmm I certainly didnt feel that way.

1. Sasha had never won a World title. She hadnt even won a U.S title when Kwan was entered yet.
    2. Slutskaya had generally dominated Cohen their whole careers, only losing two times to her.
    3. Slutskaya had only lost one event the past 2 seasons, and it was to someone who age ineligible for the Olympics.
    4. Sasha had been injured and barely competed that season.

I dont see based on what Sasha would have been equally favored to Irina going in. Even most of the U.S media was calling Irina the gold medal favorite.

16. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I didn't know that Michelle was injured in 2004. I didn't know it until 2005. I must have been sleeping.

17. Clay

Clay Active Member

She downplayed it. She mentioned not holding her layback as long (at a few competitions) because her back was sore. Then, the triple-triples were gone. Her coach knew, but didn't mention until 2006 that sometimes she would get on the ice and he knew it wasn't going to be an intense practice.

18. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

2002 Olympics. Irina beat Michelle, but lost to Sarah.

19. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Just about did me too. I had a very difficult time trying to figure it out.

20. judgejudy27

I thought of including that one, but then I remembered there were many who also expected Irina to win that competition over Michelle.

21. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Thanks, I never knew that.

22. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Oh come on, the title's not that hard. I got it. Can't think of any more examples though.

23. dorianhotel

dorianhotel Active Member

Harding beating Ito at the 1991 Worlds but losing to Yamaguchi who she had beaten easily at U.S Nationals that same year.

Galindo beating favorites Stojko and Urmanov at the 1996 Worlds but losing to Eldredge and Kulik who he was supposed to beat.

Plushenko beating favorites Takahashi and Lambiel in Vancouver Olympics but still losing in a big upset to Lysacek.

24. kukkura

kukkura Member

2011 Europeans: after a disastrous SP, Kostner surpassed Korpi's 10 point lead but was overtaken by Sarah Meier.

25. caseyedwards

I never read anything about takahashi being a favorite over plushenko. Plushenko was number one pick of almost every publication and prognosticator there was!

Maybe only the first one is really good.

Only after the SP because of course Kostner has never been an underdog to korpi.

26. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

Deleted

27. blue_idealist

Tak and Lambiel weren't favourites over Plushenko but I think they were considered more likely than Lysacek to win the OGM by most people.

28. caseyedwards

Sports Illustrated was saying plushenko chan lysacek and usa today was saying plushenko lysacek oda!

29. blue_idealist

Oda? Really? I forgot that Chan was actually favoured to medal or win for awhile and then it was a surprise to some when he finished 5th. I guess Lysacek was in there because he had won the '09 worlds, but most people seemed shocked that he actually WON.

30. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Yep, Oda was definitely a medal favorite. He had a kick ass season in the fall that year and was incorporating a 4-3 combo. There were threads on this forum saying "Who will will OGM? Plushenko or Oda?"