Silver and bronze medalists for men (behind Chan) at Worlds this year

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, Nov 20, 2010.

Silver and bronze medalists at Worlds this year for men

Poll closed Mar 30, 2011.
  1. Takahashi

84.6%
  2. Joubert

11.5%
  3. Abbott

35.6%
  4. Oda

19.2%
  5. Brezina

2.9%
  6. Rippon

7.7%
  7. Verner

24.0%
  8. other

8.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

You guys clearly don't appreciate TheChan. He wuzrobbed at both of his events, and I can't believe he didn't win against Verner. All you have to do is look at how deep his edges are, how he flies across the ice and how incredibly expressive he is when he performs to understand that he is probably the best skater we will ever see. Plus, he always comes across as so humble and intelligent. ;)

2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:rofl:

3. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I am starting to love Chan more and more just simply for the hate on for him :rofl:

4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I think the scoring system needs a tweak to take away points when a skater has multiple falls. It's very disruptive to the flow of the program and it should affect the PCM scores.

I don't see anything extraordinary in his musical interpretation. Takahashi does it the best- JMO. BTW I think his LP is gorgeous, choreographically, but he did not deliver it.

5. Vash01

Sorry. I think the days of rewarding jumps are over (much to my disappointment). Chan has been inconsistent but he is given high marks. There is no reason to believe things will be different at worlds.

6. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

7. NMURA

NMURA Member

It matters at prestigious events like WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS or OLYMPICS. Is there anyone won worlds with 2 or more falls? The judge are obliges to prevent such things to happen by unwritten rules. He couldn't sneak into the final flight of Vancouver Olympics with a flawed SP. I suspect Patrick Chan can't win anything bigger than Skate Chanada in future.

8. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I highly doubt he'll win Worlds with four mistakes (unless Worlds ends up being a splatfest). He hasn't won Worlds before with mistakes. The GP events don't even put World medalists against each other until the GPF. So top skaters aren't even facing the strongest fields until December.

Honestly, the strongest competition he faced at both of his events have never even medaled at Worlds. This isn't to knock the skills of Abbott (who I love), Verner, Oda, and Rippon. They're incredible skaters. I'm just pointing out that it is much easier to win with four falls at SC or another GP event than at major competitions. I don't even know if four falls will get him on the podium at the GPF. I think it's a bit premature to anoint Chan the WC.

9. Vash01

I think this whole thread is meant to be in jest. You may be taking it too seriously. However, to answer your question seriously- not so far, but judging from the way Chan is being overscored, he could become the first world or Olympic champion with 3-4 falls.

10. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I actually like Chan but this thread is :rofl::rofl::rofl:

11. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Wow, all this hate for Chan even when he loses the gold :)

I think most people would feel better if after a fall, the music was stopped and the skaters were asked to leave the ice.

:watch:

12. senorita

senorita New Member

I dont believe this thread gathered so many posts :D
    Kozuka for WChampion 2011, please put a banner there!:respec:

13. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

The world needs him period. His edges are so deep that they create valleys so animals and peoples can live and water can flow. :watch:

RFOS and (deleted member) like this.
  14. cem2

cem2 Member

I think most would only like Chan to leave the ice, but not to worry these people also have lots more Canadian skates to share the hate...C&P and M&M bashing all over the threads...it's like a Mastercard moment......PRICELESS

Rafter and (deleted member) like this.
  15. NMURA

NMURA Member

Actually, Patrick Chan is yet to prove he can win anywhere but Canada with four falls. The event called Skate Canada is getting nothing but a farce. Two years ago, Patrick Chan "won" by the 7th highest TES, and this year, "won" with four falls. Is there anyone who "won" GP event with four falls before? Maybe, creating the new "history" is the sign of his "greatness". Anyway, with all the bad reputations on Patrick Chan Scores, rule changes on PCS seem inevitable after this season.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  16. senorita

senorita New Member

I m really starting to like Chan more, after all the critics, I have a tendency to root for bash-able skaters :D Afterall he is not the threat of universe, he just won a gp, it was worse when Lys started winning everything and got 10 points pcs up from the end of one season to the next, I much prefer Chan even not clean. And he doesnt even have the World champion boost marks yet! :)

17. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I still think people are blaming the skater and not the system, it maybe his fault for falling but it's sure not his fault for the scores he gets.

No one (including anyone here) would take off their medal and throw it in the judge's faces and say you should have given it to someone else.

kimkom and (deleted member) like this.
  18. heo-wikki

heo-wikki New Member

Can't believe Chanada isn't using him in their international relations. I mean he could solve the NK/SK problem...with his edges he could create a canyon between the two, and his footwork would solve all the nuclear issues. If all else fails, he could just fall on Kim Jong-il.

The USA needs to realize he might be the biggest threat to national security. Those edges could slice right along the boarder setting the USA adrift in the Pacific.

Chanada could become the greatest superpower of all. With one swipe of his blade; he could till rows in rock to plant crops, create new waterways for the drought-ridden and the inundated. Just imange what those skating skills could do.

"O Chanada, we stand on guard for thee. Chan keep our land glorious and free!"

:scream:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Imagine what would happen if Chan teamed up with the USA's skating diplomat!

20. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

I was so happy for Jeff, too! But I do not believe the PCS worked in his favour against Brian, as Brian outscored him in this (which I find to be absolutely ridiculous--Jeff's insanely difficult choreography against crossovers--arghhh!) I thought Jeff should have won by an even bigger margin.

I hope that the PCS is scrutinized more as it is more often than not used to prop up skaters (and I am not only referring to Chan here). These skaters work so hard and I think as fans we can all agree that we want skaters to have a fair shot.

I was soooooo thilled for Tomas and cannot wait to see him at the GPF! I am giddy just thinking about it. I am also happy we got to see an interview with him on CBC--so interesting to hear his thoughts on the system and the new changes.

I actually love a lot of the male skaters right now (which is strange as I used to find this event the least entertaining). Along with Verner, I am pulling for Abbott and Oda...they have been through so much and would love to see them have breakthroughs. I would also like this to happen for Kozuka, though he is a bit younger. I just love to watch him stroke...his blades seem to kiss the ice. Chan and Daisuke are two of my favourites ever, so I am always rooting for them...but I can't help but really pull for those who, in spite of their immense talent, haven't yet won medals. I think the only prediction I can make is that we will be treated to some outstanding skating--with such a deep field in the men, I am sure we will see some truly memorable performances.

21. mia joy

mia joy New Member

:rofl: :lol:

those Chan threads are so much fun :watch:

22. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

wonderlen and heo-wikki, you are both too funny! I'm glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read your posts because it would have gone everywhere! :rofl::lol: heo-wikki, yours may be THE POST OF THE YEAR for me - HYSTERICAL!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  23. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Yes, without a doubt, Chan is a better skater and would make a better World champion than Evan.

24. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Takahashi and Oda, or Takahashi and Abbott, but probably Oda, I would say. I hope Chan doesn't get the gold medal if he doesn't deserve it.

25. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

How on earth can you say someone doesn't deserve a gold medal just because you don't like them and the competition hasn't even take place? :rolleyes: Sheesh! It's just about as :duh: as this topic (although some of the posts have been :lol:)

26. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Evan seems alot better than Chan in one basic important skill however. To actually keep the seat of his pants off the ice. :D

heo-wikki and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

To be fair, Evan has fewer transitions in his programs. He has transitions, but not nearly as many as Chan. Which still begs the question in my mind: maybe Chan's programs are just too busy?

28. NMURA

NMURA Member

That is the most important skill at World championsips.

I think one of the Japanese men will win with clean performances. Perhaps, Oda's has the best chance. I'm sure Chan won't receive 12 points higher PCS than Oda in Tokyo.

29. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Evan has plenty enough transitions, you shouldnt need anymore or it becomes excess. And yes Chan has too many transitions if anything, it makes his programs overly busy and distracting and he obviously cant handle them and deliver the performance with it. Evan's clean and all around good performances he won major titles with I would take over Chan and his 4 falls per event and the embarassing that is for the sport when he wins like that anyday of the week. And I am far from an Evan fan.

30. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Not to bring rationality into this thread or anything :p, I've often wondered if that isn't part of Abbott's problem too. When nerves get the better of him does he lose some of his ability to perform the large amount of technical moves in his program?