Silly kids songs?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Mozart, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

I am trying to find some silly kids songs appropriate for elementary aged kids. The ones I have found so far are not really that great. I am looking for unique songs which would make grade 3s laugh but with melodies that are easy to learn. Thanks!
  2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Are Raffi songs too young? I know a lot of pre-schools use them, but I think they might still be fun for elementary schoolers (especially if they didn't hear them as kids). I found a few lesson plans for 2nd-3rd grade that reference them.

It would be a problem if they knew them as little kids, as they might think of them as baby-ish, but he isn't that popular anymore I don't think.
  3. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

The Barenaked Ladies album Snacktime! is all "silly kids songs," and a lot of them are very singable.

The first song that came to mind when I read your subject line, though, was a real oldie: "Marzie Doats" (Mares Eat Oats).
  4. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

Thanks I'll look them up :) I have a silly gross song cd but they have heard that one a million times ;)
  5. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

^ This.
  6. mocha-ice

mocha-ice Active Member

What kind of songs? I know a bunch of camp songs... For example, Herman the worm is one that kids seem to enjoy no matter the age. It doesn't have much of a melody though, but it's very easy to learn.
  7. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

The Chenille Sisters have a couple of kids CDs with some amusing songs. My favorite was always "Deepest Africa" from Teaching Hippopami to Fly.

Third graders, though...that's a tough age.
  8. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Many, many They Might Be Giants songs are delightfully silly and completely clean. Particle Man, anyone? And your life prep song can be "MINIMUM WAGE!! HYAAA!!"

I also keep trying to push all the multiplication songs we learned from Mrs Green and Mrs Brown (I'm not kidding) in 3rd grade on my daughter, who refuses. I still remember them and still use them.

You could also try Ralph's World. Not sure if his stuff would be too young at this point, but I remember his stuff being fun without that condescending tone of so much "kid's" music.

Burl Ives had some good stuff, too, but again, not sure if it's too young for these modern whippersnappers.
  9. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

10. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Is the Arrogant Worms a little too advanced? Some of their songs might be ok.
  11. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

My instinct says no ... but there might be the odd one. You could probably do some fun classroom stuff with the chorus of "Rocks and Trees" -- much like they do at their concerts. :cool:

Of course I'd be really reluctant to share that outside our fair borders. :D

Woah, flashback! My two favourite (well, only) kids albums when I was wee were the Burl Ives one and the Pete Seeger one.
  12. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

"Silly songs with Larry", from Veggie Tales.
  13. restful urchin

restful urchin New Member

14. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

These will never fly with today's third graders. They're all very savvy and into way more advanced things then you'd ever imagine. Most of them are bopping around to Ke$ha, Katy Perry, Black-Eyed Peas, and LMFAO. Seriously.

I agree with whoever said third graders are tough.
  15. eusebius

eusebius Active Member

TMBG has several kids' albums also. My favourite song from those is:

I Never Go To Work

Another kids' group I love is Trout Fishing In America:

My Best Day
  16. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

What's weird is that my Girl Scouts LOVE these silly songs. But I bet they'd hate them at school. Because at school, they need to be cool. I think the most a music teacher can hope for is that the kids secretly like what they are working on, even if they all pretend to be way above it.
  17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I did a search to confirm the lyrics to "My Reindeer Flies Sideways" that I learned in Girl Scout camp, and found this, sung to Pomp and Circumstance:
    http://aprismaticlife.blogspot.com/2009/04/my-reindeer-flies-sideways.html

Although the lyrics I remember are:

My reindeer flies sideways
    He's better than yours
    My reindeer is smarter
    He can open the doors

My reindeer is purple
    Yours is a pea green
    I love my reindeer
    He is peachy keen (okay, it was the 60's)

and then, there's always this, which I'm sure kids would love:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc8L1ytMXLg
  18. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Do a search for Marlo Thomos's "Free To Be ... You and Me" Some of the songs on it may be too young for 3rd graders today but it might be something different for them.

(I can still sing bits of "Some kinds of Help" and the Smothers' Brothers little ditty about the daisy on my toe.)
  19. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Our favorites were always "Kids Songs"

http://www.kidsongs.com/

The videos are cheesy, but each one tells a story through the songs with outlandish costuming and situations. They're really fun for young kids through age 8 or 9.

This one was my favorite and has the best songs, imo.
    DVD: http://www.amazon.com/Kidsongs-Very...1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1329845055&sr=1-1
    CD: http://www.amazon.com/Kidsongs-Very...1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1329845131&sr=1-1-catcorr

YT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eMIQ3Prwuc
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  20. Auntie

Auntie New Member

21. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

YES!!! "Oh where is my hairbrush?" and the Cheeseburger Song are probably my favorites.