Shuttlebus at Worlds 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by CoyoteChris, Mar 22, 2012.

1. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

Here is the response I received from Allen Gorden, communications Asst. ref. a shuttle bus at London and my response to him.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your interest and your inquiry.

At this moment, we have not yet decided whether a shuttle bus option will be made available. If a shuttle bus service will exist, there will likely be a fee to ride this bus which would be unique to those who have tickets to the World Championships. In addition, there would be a chance that the shuttle service may run equally or less frequently than the public transportation.

However, the great news is that the local bus system will be free to those who present their Worlds2013 pass.

As of now, this is all of the information we have available. Please note that any information regarding a shuttle bus is tentative and still to be determined. In order to stay informed, be sure to keep up to date on www.worlds2013.ca and www.skatecanada.ca as well as Skate Canada on Facebook and twitter (@skatecanada).

Thanks again for your inquiry. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.
    (My response)
    Sir, Thank you for your response to my inquiry. As I am sure you are aware, many of us could only find hotels near the White Oaks Mall, four miles south of the arena.
    I confess I was not very good at understanding the #13 buss schedule and stops from the web site. Perhaps I am reading the local bus system information incorrectly, but it seems as if there is only one buss that runs every half hour? And it makes quite a number of stops for its normal local passenger load? If this is true, I have to wonder if that will be near
    enough seats to carry fans from the Mall area to the arena and back. There is certainly nothing wrong with using the local bus system for a shuttle....Spokane did that quite effectively for their Nats...
    but they used many buses on special routes.

I applaud the decision to have the local bus system free to ticket holders. I would certainly use it if there are enough buses that would run in a timely manner. Perhaps fans staying near the Mall need to be polled to see how many actually have their own cars and how many need transportation?

I have no problem paying for an event shuttle, as long as there are enough buses to do the job. I have attended more than 15 competitions and have found that they have handled shuttles in a wide assortment of ways, both good and bad.
    US Nats Greensboro, for instance, had a hard time at first but soon got things right.

We all know shuttles are expensive. Another option would be to set up a cab stand at a certain place at the Mall and fans could share cabs to the Arena and back. That would be a much faster trip than the 1/2 hour bus city ride with all its stops and the cost per fan would be quite low, I would think.

Thank you for giving this matter advanced consideration in order that we out of town fans may have a favorable experience of the London Worlds. We rabid fans can be an odd lot. We all want to get to the arena at different times for practice, find good food in a hurry during the short breaks, and then all go back to our hotels for much needed sleep at the same time. This is usually not a problem where there are large hotels near the arena. London does present some challenges in these matters.
    I wish you the best luck.

Chris __________

2. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I live near the White Oaks mall (walking distance) and I am considering using public transit instead of driving downtown and having to pay for parking - especially now that I know it's going to be free!

3. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

Cool! Perhaps you could give us fans some insight on the local bus service.
    I used to have a brain in the last century but I seem to have misplaced it.
    I have trouble reading on-line MTA guides....
    Does the bus indeed only run every half hour and how full is it normally?
    How many stops does it make to the downtown area?
    Chris at the Quality Inn.

4. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I am not all that familiar with the bus routes, other than the 4A and 4B routes that run past my house. They stop at Richmond & King which is only a couple of blocks from the JLC. They do go through subdivisions with many stops, and take about 20-30 minutes to get downtown. Otherwise I am reading the same maps and schedules as you are....it would be optimal if they ran extra/special/direct buses during Worlds for sure.

5. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Hi Luckiest,
    We will either be at the Holiday Inn Express or the Best Western can you let me know which bus we should take.

Will have a car but with parking hassles dont want to be in trouble.

Thanks

6. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

Here is the link to the bus system.
    http://www.ltconline.ca/

I spent about a half hour trying to get the info I needed but found it very frustrating. I called them and asked for a paper guide and they said they would send me one but they never did....

7. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Can I just point out that most city bus systems in Canada revise their schedules approximately twice a year? So you are wasting your time if you are trying to figure out now what the London bus schedule will be like in March 2013. Please, take a look in October or so, and if you have to worry, start your worrying then.

8. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Overedge - we are not worrying - but researching is half the fun and creates anticipation. I will most like take taxis anyway.

9. overedge

Sending emails a year in advance to ask what the bus schedule is going to be is "worrying" in my books.

10. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Some of us need to "disaster plan" for all kinds of reasons, medical and otherwise. I know I do.

I'm going for 3 events thus far. Don't know the schedule yet so don't know when my friend and I will be there and how many overnights we'll have but, if possible, I'd like to give the occasional lift to anyone there I can. I suppose we'll all be coordinating closer to the time next year. What fun to get FSUers together! I've never done that before! A warm Canadian welcome from me!

And don't worry about the rioters. London is a pretty laid back place usually and this was certainly out of character. Last I checked, 8 had been suspended from the college and 15 arrested; no doubt more is coming.
    Getting excited for london and Nice for now!

11. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

Actually, Allen wrote me back and thanked me for all my input and since they are unsure about just what the heck they will actually will be doing, I think they were not just blowing me off. A skating event of this size is kind of a unique thing to handle in my opinion. I have been to quite a few of them and I have seen the good, the bad and the ugly from the fan's point of view. Much of the ugly didnt have to happen. I think Greensboro went pretty well in part cause the organizers came to Spokane Nats. the year before and talked with everyone they could about how to put on a skating event. Even me. Now that they have done it and have experience, Greensboro has put in for it again. Since this is basically a tourism bureau putting on this event in London, I think they would be prudent to listen to those with experience.
    Skating fans can be rather unique tourists, to say the least.
    Yes, when I talked with the mass transit folk, we did talk about how buss schedules change, season to season and even day to day. My meathod is to implant seeds into folk so that people actually see our concerns and address them in a timely manner. I would be happy with a cab stand at the mall for fans.....but I really have no idea how many fans there will be like me at those 12 hotels around the mall who need transport...and I dont think they do either. It is not too early to ask ticket holders these kinds of questions.
    Happy, contented fans are more likely to spend money in your town, which is the whole idea.

12. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Yes, we've seen from past shuttle bus threads that skating fans tend to be a prissy, whiny, entitled lot with few social skills and even fewer walking skills :shuffle:

13. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

I'm just confused as to what exactly a "buss" is. :confused:

14. Lutzcy

Lutzcy Active Member

:rollin::lol:

15. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Well, one meaning is "kiss" as in I'd like to "buss" Peter T.

16. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Excellent approach, CC. I attended the first season of Battle of the Blades and it was clear that they were flying by the seat of their pants. It was horrible the way fans were treated, especially disabled ones. Second season was much better at a film studio where lineups were well handled and kept short. So they learned. I have found Air Canada Centre in TO to be excellent for SOI. Since this is a first for London, they will be wise indeed to tune into this group.

17. overedge

Of course they are unsure about what the heck they will be doing. It's almost a year away!! Maybe, just maybe, at this point the organizers have larger issues to worry about than shuttle buses for fans.

And of course he responded to you politely. Why would he not? But to be blunt, the London transit system's job is to provide service to the people who live and work there full-time, not to cater to the unique needs of a relatively small group that will be there for a week. Frankly, given some of the remote locations I've stayed in for skating events, you should be thanking your lucky stars that your hotel is in an area that actually *has* regular scheduled transit service - not getting in a tizzy because there might not be a special shuttle.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  18. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

The only people I see getting into a tizzy are those who think planning this far ahead (or at all) is unnecessary and those who are just being rude. The thread is clearly labeled, hint, hint.

19. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

A "buss" is an electronics term I used for 40 years in my work...that and for some reason I gave up on spelling in the third grade....:lol:

20. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

Yes, Prudent marketers always do focus groups, obtain input anyway they can. The object from their perspective is making bucks. You do that by giving folks what they want when they want it and I cant remember an event when they did that where folks complained about paying for quality care. This trip will cost me $4,000, with tickets, airfare, hotel, food, etc. Make things easy on me, give me good food, get my skinny butt to the arena and back and make me feel like you appreciate my business. I dont care if I have to pay 10 percent more if I am happy!

21. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

I think to a young person who isnt involved with major project planning, a year seems like a long time. To seasoned citizens such as myself, who have done major project planning, a year is the blink of an eye. Its all perspective.
    Its also alot of very hard work. I know Toby and Barb as aquaintances, who put on Spokane SkateAmerica 2002, Spokane Nats 2007 and 2010. Despite the success they had in the eyes of us fans, they tell me they wont promote a skating event again...well, never say never but getting all the players on board, obtaining the funding, working with the restaurants and mass transit.....while everything they did in 2010 went right, they are just burned out, IMHO. And the state of WA not coming through with their $100,000 pledge if Spokane got the nats didnt help either....

As far as the bus.....I really dont care if there is indeed a cab service that can handle the load...it would be nice to have transportaion provided for a fee in the form of frequently running mass transit buses (like Spokane) or a private event shuttle bus service that worked(like Greensboro) but we shall take what we will get.

22. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

Unfortunately, there are those (at least two individuals) at USFSA galactic headquarters in Colorado Springs that believe that is exactly a great description of us American fans and donners to the USFSA.....or to use their own words, we can be "difficult and opinionated....." Well, I try not be be that way at the friends of figure skating breakfasts but only if I get my favorite skaters to sit at my table!:lol:

23. overedge

I wouldn't assume that people who are disagreeing with you don't have any project planning experience.

24. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

OK, I'll bite. How long do YOU think it takes to do a promotion of a major skating event (Nats or Worlds)? This would include, but not limited to:
    Securing an arena commitment for a certain time period for a certain amount of money. And a practice venue.
    Obtaining hotels without major commitments for certain amounts.
    Obtaining sponsors for the bid.
    Securing transportation for the athletes, coaches, etc.
    Obtaining security, on and off the premises.
    Working with the local police depts.
    Working with the local media
    Obtaining and training volunteers and paid help.
    Attending other skating events for info and to sell tickets.
    Working with the governing body to satisfy their needs.
    (I would also assume there would be insurance issues to deal with but I dont know that)
    Much of this work must be done before the bids are decided....I was at the presentation of the Spokane Promoters of just how they got Spokane 2010 when the call came in that Spokane had won the bid....sure, the room exploaded...but you could see how much work was ahead of them...
    Putting on an event of this size takes alot of work even if you do it badly....and its alot harder to do it well.......

25. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

This is the most important item in this whole thread IMO. Nooooooooooooooo! Spokane has been a total :kickass: host for skating (and yes, I do know how much work goes into the planning and don't begrudge the planners for being burned out).

26. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I'm confused about this thread? .. there is a 'frequently running mass transit bus'..

http://www.ltconline.ca/

So unless you are on a private tour - why would the organizers even bother to get a shuttle.. would they just not expect visitors to catch the bus.. catch a cab.. walk or rent a car.. :confused: especially considering all the other 'project management' issues to be dealt with..

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  27. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Just a note on the Spokane organizers -- not sure it's a terrific idea to continually post how you personally know they never want to work on a skating event again. It smacks of unprofessionalism on their part to bandy with fans about how hard a time they had organizing nationals and Skate America. It is almost assured that Spokane will host future events, and while I am certain Toby and Barb are very successful, the time might come when they wish to put aside whatever differences they had with USFS, the skating clubs, etc. and promote another competition.

28. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

where did you infer that they had differences with anyone? it reads to me like planning an event on this scale is time consuming and challenging and they are experiencing burnout from doing 2 events in 8 years...nothing controversial about that.

29. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Not a question of controversy. Let's put it this way. Say you make your living as an event organizer, and you do weddings. At the reception, you tell guests you are burned out, it's too challenging, there are too many details, you will never do a wedding again. Those guests planning their daughters' weddings (or any other event) are not likely to call upon you, because 1. it's unprofessional to kvetch in public at an event you were paid to organize; and 2. you've already made plain you don't want the work.

Now, Toby and Barb may indeed never want to work on a Spokane skating event again, and that is fine. But in my book, business owners sometimes regret burning bridges.

30. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

One assumes you mean "donors" - though I suppose that certain American followers of this sport do tend to cannibalize those skaters who don't live to hype or expectation. ;)

On that note, have you considered donating your time and experience to the city of London and/or the event organizing committee to lead/chair/be involved with the planning and execution of this supremely important logistical situation?

One might imagine those parties falling on bended knee, overwhelmed at such an generous offer.