Shpilband/Zoueva Split Aftermath: What Happens Next?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 12, 2012.

1. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

FWIW, the first reports about I/K and not working hard enough came from TAT during the 2010/2011 season when they were still with Zhulin. Zhulin talked about it some in an article right after I/K left. I'm not entirely sure where the information that they didn't train between Worlds and the WTT came from originally, but I read it in one of the threads for the WTT this year.

I'll admit that things may or may not be true depending upon the agenda of the sources at various times, but if it is true that they didn't train between Worlds and WTT, then, IMO, there's no other way to classify that anything but "not working hard enough." (And if it were a case they couldn't train because of injury, they should have passed on the spot and let someone else go in their spot.)
  2. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I don't. For some people, trying to excel and be the best they can be in almost every situation they find is a very natural mindset.
  3. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I meant more of out of the ordinary meaning that the average human probably won't be able to summon the mental fortitude to put themselves through that much pressure and work to succeed in that way.
  4. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Well I hang out with triathletes who aren't professionals, just doing it for fun, and they do things like workout 20 hours a week and go on 60-100 mile bike rides once a week.

I know not everyone is like but it's not unnatural and plenty of average people do it.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Her husband was very ill and that was her priority.

She's coaching again now.

Agafonova/Ucar train with her (and Oleg Voiko).
  6. aka_gerbil

Thanks for clarifying, although I'm sad to hear that her husband was ill. :(
  7. Dragonlady

Dragonlady New Member

I&K also went on vacation in 2011 after Worlds was cancelled and didn't continue to train for Worlds in Moscow. Zhulin was seriously pissed about that. My impression was that he was glad to be rid of them.
  8. Macassar88

Are you serious?!?!?
    That's unacceptable especially considering where worlds were being held
  9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

By choosing Zueva, Ms. Davis has given up the opportunity to be trained in Italian by Ms. Fusar-Poli.
  10. Nell411

Nell411 Afterlife

I keep thinking about how awesome that would have been. It's making me sad that D/W choose to stay with Zoueva.
  11. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

12. morqet

morqet Active Member

And iirc, TAT's comments were at the start of the 2010/2011 season, complaining that they hadn't done enough work over the summer, when in fact Katsalapov had been off the ice completely for around a month due to back problems, which stopped them working on new lifts in particular & also delayed their overall progress. That year of course I/K also complained that Zhulin was to taken up with his ice shows to fully pay attention to their training.

Source? That's the first I've ever heard of that.
  13. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I dont get the impression that Meryl is an extremely nhumble person and i dont get the impression that Barbara is very meek. That could have been a very diva like power struggle. I do agree that its a shame because I think that Barbara Fusar Poli was an amazing technical dancer. She could have done great things for D&W. It's always good to have a perspective of someone who thinks you're good but not great! They see you in a way that the people who are used to seeing you dont. THat goes for strengths and weaknesses alike.
  14. Libertango

Libertango New Member

There's an article on GS with quotes from them :

The whole "we didn't prepare for this competition because we are in good shape" is baffling to me :shuffle:
  15. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Madison Chock and Babs working together???? :EVILLE:

I await with anticipation!!!!:2faced: :nopryde:
    BYTCH and (deleted member) like this.
  16. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Serious OTT going there.

(Chock & Babs)
  17. Dragonlady

Dragonlady New Member

Look in the archives. This was extensively disccuss in 2011. It's not new inforrmation.
  18. martyross

martyross New Member

gee, it's easy to pontificate on "work ethics" while comfortably sitting in a chair !
  19. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

The thing about making a big move in the standings these days is that we don't yet know if it is truly possible. When V&M and D&W made their moves up the ladder, COPs was very new, and they 'got' it faster than some others, so they were able to move up rather quickly. Now most teams have already established their PCS scores, and it's tough to improve them. The technical pieces have to be in place first-- Getting Level 4s for all elements goes a long way in helping to raise the PCS scores. But I'm not sure that a team that was 5th last year can go to the top right now with the top 3 (and possibly 4) teams being so far ahead. Just my two cents.
  20. Macassar88

But we are not ice dancers. According to that logic the judges shouldn't be allowed to judge because they can't do the skills that the skaters are doing.
    Anyway what they said about not training and how they were glad that it was the end of the season so they didn't put in 100% really irked me.
  21. aka_gerbil

Thanks for posting the link, Libertango.

Not preparing because of being in good shape is baffling to me as well.

It irks me as well. None of the other teams showed up unprepared.

During the time frame between Worlds and the WTT, V/M went home to London for that event to try to drum up business support for 2013 Worlds. They did a couple of radio interviews afterwards--from the car, on the way back to Canton. In one of them, they made the remark that they were on their way back to train that afternoon because they had another competetion coming up and couldn't miss a whole day of training.

Buried somewhere in Elena's twitter feed are a few comments about wanting to skate as well as V/M do. Well, if she wants them to skate as well as V/M, they're going to have to start by emulating V/M in getting to the bloody rink and getting to work.
  22. Dragonlady

Dragonlady New Member

What a pointless comment. If anyone here aspired to be world and Olympic champions, we wouldn't be sitting in our chairs and posting on the internet. The cold hard fact is that NONE of the other teams went on vacation prior to Moscow but I know that more than one team/skater who CANCELLED planned vacations because of the shift in the date for Worlds, as well as pulling out of shows and tours.
  23. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Quite to the contrary, this is completely new information, because one of I/K's complaints at the time was that they had to share ice with other people, e.g. Tomas Verner, who skated with their group while they were preparing for the WC in Moscow.
  24. Dragonlady

Dragonlady New Member

Zhulin complained about it publically at the time. There was an interview with translations posted here. There was also the Ice Network interview with I&K. This information may be new to you, but anyone who followed the threads around the shift of Worlds to Moscow would have been aware of it.
  25. morqet

morqet Active Member

All I remember was Nikita complaining that Zhulin wasn't around enough for their coaching & claiming that they had to work out lifts by looking at other skaters on youtube, and Zhulin countering with general comments about them not always having a great work ethic. You may be confusing his comments with TAT's earlier in the season about them having too much of a break over the summer before the 2010-11 season, but as I said before, that was largely due to Nikita's back problems.
  26. Dragonlady

Dragonlady New Member

No, I'm not confusing anything. Zhulin gave an interview wherein he said they went on vacation after Worlds was cancelled. He seemed absolutely disgusted by this. I am aware of TAT's comments at the beginning of the season and she blamed Zhulin for not booking enough ice time for his teams. At that point Zhulin initially floated the idea that the team wasn't working hard enough.

Why do you find this so hard to believe when they did the same thing this season and didn't practice for the World Team Trophy?
  27. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Maybe it would help if you found a link to the exact interview, Dragonlady.
  28. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

It seems to me that Zhulin was far too keen to blame anyone else when he started spreading himself too thin and did not have enough time to give them. I think the question should be, why are you so keen to believe Zhulin rather than believing the skaters who explained that they did not have very good working conditions?
  29. Dragonlady

Dragonlady New Member

I don't have access to the archives to do so.

When Zhulin initially complained about I&K's lack of work ethic, I thought he was making excuses for himself. TAT said they lacked sufficient ice time and I tended to believe her, but when the team went on vacation before Moscow Worlds, I started to believe that the work ethic issue might be the reason why they've shown no significant improvement since they moved to seniors. That they did the same thing this season, pretty much confirms it.

I don't see I&K getting better at the pace of say D&W or V&M who worked their butts off when they got to seniors, and continue to do so. I don't think I&K have improved significantly since they first moved to seniors. The only reason they beat B&S at Worlds was because B&S had the worst programs I've ever seen them skate.
  30. Marta24

Marta24 Member

P&B never complained about lack of ice time and they improved a lot with Zhulin's help.
  31. AJ Skatefan

Maybe you're referring to this:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78787&page=5
  32. Dragonlady

Dragonlady New Member

33. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I just read all the posts from the last couple pages of this thread and don't understand where this discussion has gone. Does any of this relate to Shpilband-Zueva? It seems mostly to be about criticizing/defending I-K, who, last I heard, train in Russia. Are they coming to Michigan?
  34. AJ Skatefan

These are all good questions. Typical FSU thread drift.
  35. AJ Skatefan

Now I'm really curious....

:watch:
  36. Macassar88

Well Elena used to train with them
  37. Dragonlady

Dragonlady New Member

It was not in the any I&K thread, it was in a general discussion thread on the move to Moscow, like who would benefit most from the delay or something like that.
  38. dots

dots Well-Known Member

All this talk about I & K :blah: those two peaked @ 5th place and it's downhill from here on! :p

A match made in heaven!! :inavoid:
  39. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

I don't understand how Barbara F-P is joining Igor S but will not leave Italy. Will she use Skype?
    BYTCH and (deleted member) like this.
  40. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I imagine she will join them for a time and return to Italy.