Shpilband/Zoueva Split Aftermath: What Happens Next?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Here's a chronological compilation of North American article and press release links to date...

Detroit Free Press articles by Jo-Ann Barnas that broke the story:
    Sunday, June 3: Coach Igor Shpilband out at Canton's Arctic Figure Skating Club
    June 4 (includes excerpts/quotes from USFS' press release): U.S. Figure Skating confirms top American teams to stay in Canton after Shpilband dismissal

IceNetwork article (June 4): Shpilband searches for new rink in Michigan

Associated Press article (June 4): U.S. endures ice dance shakeup

Skate Canada press release "Olympic Champions Virtue and Moir Confirm Plans for 2012-2013 Season" (June 7): http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/1763/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Canadian newswire article by QMI Agency (June 7): Virtue, Moir split with coach

Carry on...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  2. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

There are rumors (Artur Verner again, I'm not sure if this source is reliable, but still) that the Shibutanis want to join Krylova's group :shuffle:

3. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I hope it's true, they should make a clean break.

Responding to Allezfred's comment on the other closed thread. Part of the reason for the Shib's less than awesome programs was the fact that they are brother & sister. Very limiting.

4. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Cruisin in the first thread wrote:
    I just would like to say that when I interviewed him he seemed a very down to earth man. I was a 21 years old girl who was (is, and will always be) no one in the figure skating world, and he treated me very respectfully, making compliments about the website I work for and being very nice and calm. I have never had the chance to talk with Marina but she looks like someone with a strong personality, who can have a deep influence in people, and I can understand why the top three skaters decided to stay with her.

5. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Some of the posts in the previous thread are really confusing me. Someone mentioned Igor as a great technical and developmental coach. Igor was always known as the creative force and choreographer back in the Coates/Shpilband days. She was the technician. That was why many people were scratching their heads when Igor teamed with Marina- two "choreographers" and no one to teach proper technique on compulsory dances, etc.

I also don't consider him a developmental coach. Skaters go to him at the Junior or Senior level usually. Someone else does the developing. I can think of two skaters he had a a very low level: Shannon Wingle and Jamie Silverstein. To me, a developmental coach takes a skater from the ground up (Juvenile-??) and builds a successful skater/team. Yasa and Yuri did that and the Wheaton coaches are doing that now.

Maybe Igor was distancing himself because he's burned out being the "technical coach" as that was not what he was originally known for. Perhaps he wants a fresh start doing what he loves: creating.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That's a very bad excuse.

If anything is limiting, it's doing the usual romantic shtick that has been done to death.

Look at Kerrs. They thrived on having to come up with various other concepts and showed us some very original and creative routines.

Lanna, PeterG, flutzilla1 and 3 others like this.
  7. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

But why is this? D/W are "just friends" but their programs are not limited...

8. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

If Marina did get Igor ousted from AE, her politicking must be improving ;)

9. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I've had the same experience. I have no idea what he's like with his students or other people in the skating world, but he's always been very kind and appreciative of the support my friends and I have given to Team Canton. He seemed very proud of his group and excited to see such a strong show of support for ice dancing.

10. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I agree.
    They should try something voidy.
    Then again, North American ice dances never do.
    I guess they will be back doing some fox trots routine again. blah

11. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I have seen him work with his teams and he is intense but not anything like what you would imagine a mean Russian coach to be (see Johnny Weirs account of Galina or Tarasova)with his students. He does demand excellence and does not like to see people repeating mistakes and not being serious. Again, he's intense. I can imagine that there are prospective teams that think that what he does is magic and he knows its hard work that gets them to the top level. He is confident, organized and committed to his craft. Confidence, being self assured and demanding excellence is what he's supposed to be. People think that coach/pupil relationships are supposed to be warm and fuzzy.Thats not Igors thing...

12. cruisin

Different experience. I did not interview him :)

I totally agree. I actually touched on this myself, in the last thread. Though your post has more information than mine :).

But, that's my point. As original and creative as the Kerrs were, they were consistently under marked. I think the judges like the romantic shtick. There is also this mentality that there has to be passion in ice dancing, and that brother/sister teams can't show that. I'm not saying I agree, just that its there.

They don't have to actually be romantic, they just have to make it look like they're "in love" on the ice. Brothers and sisters can't do that. And I know it's unfair and ridiculous, but...

You make a point.

Just heard some :secret: info. I can't reveal much, because it is hearsay, but it came from a source who is connected. The kids were NOT involved with pushing Igor out. They knew nothing about it. The problem was between Igor and Marina, but it goes beyond what we've seen in articles. There are other people involved. I can't say who, because it would not be right. Suffice it to say that it was a big mess and Marina got what she wanted.

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Re-posting Charlie White's mother's comment in reply to the person who likened the ice dancers to "spoiled brats" and "egotistical athletes" (posted in the Comments section of the June 3rd Detroit Free Press article):

14. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

The Kerrs were marked fairly enough and mainly suffered on their technical score rather than PCS. It was always a struggle for the teams who had to adapt to IJS from 6.0 to get the technical levels.

The Shibutanis have the opposite problem. Technically great, but very limited artistically. Judges are like the audience. They want to watch something that is interesting and not a repeat of a previous year's programme.

15. cruisin

Jacqui white's comments, re: the kids being put in the middle and being used as pawns, were validated by my source.

16. Anjelica

Anjelica Well-Known Member

Igor arrogant? No I don't think that I agree with that statement. He can be the most charming man on the planet when he wants to be and he does demand commitment and hard work from his students. I would not call him mean, moody at times but not mean. No offense intended to anyone but he is Russian and thinks like a Russian coach! The guy is a genius at what he does and he is a Master politician; again, this is simply his pattern repeating itself ~ after his teams have 'peaked' he always loses interest in them and focuses on his up and comers. So no surprises at all here; ask B & A and L & T if you want confirmation of what I said.

17. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

The Shibs need to go all Duschenay-like to win over the judges and audience again. Then the talk of being limited will stop.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

As much as this could help them develop artistically, the Krylova/Camerlengo camp seems full as it is.

No, they weren't.

They just totally failed on technical elements time and time again and their basics weren't as strong as those of other top teams.

Duchesnays lacked passion?

19. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

The Kerrs are exciting, but technically sloppy skaters. I can't think of a single program of theirs that I didn't enjoy, but when even someone in no teknik on ice dance can see multiple errors per performance, they've got problems. I was hoping they would go into choreography.

20. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

He's had many teams at lower levels. I have seen him at Sectionals coaching Novice teams, for example. We just don't hear about it because those teams tend to break up 10x before they get to the Jr. and Senior level. Also, it's been less and less true over the years and I think that's part of the problem. He likes working with those younger teams but right now he only has Senior teams. (Well, had. :lol:)

The last time I saw him with a Novice team was 2004 or 2005?? I can't remember. I bet Sylvia does.

He can be a steamroller when he's working. If you've been run over by him, you won't necessarily like him.

21. cruisin

He's also raided teams, not so cool!

22. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Question, does Igor's wife teach at Artic?

23. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Regarding Igor's record as a developmental coach, he teamed Belbin and Agosto in the late 1990s and coached them through Gotenburg. As previously noted, he also did well with Jamie Silverstein and others. He has several junior teams now, and may well coach more at the developmental level in the seasons ahead. One may post opinions about his personality -- I have found him to be understated and professional at practices and events -- and who did what to whom at Canton, but Shpilband's track record and ability is beyond question, as is Zoueva's.

Being a cloying Pollyanna, maybe this split will work out well in the end, and two impressive ice dance camps will be created where there once was one. Certainly there seems to be a lot of ice in the state of Michigan.

24. sk8ers

sk8ers New Member

Yes--Adrienne Lebda

25. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

He had a Novice Team at that time- Shannon Wingle and Kurt Lingenfelter. I don't remember ever seeing him with multiple young teams (Juvenile/Intermediate). Novice is typically as low as he goes, skaters usually go to him after they've had some success at the lower levels. I can't think of one team he put together at the lower levels that gained success. He had Jamie/Justin and Shannon/ Kurt.

26. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I think he started coaching Madison Chock when she was in Intermediate. When he started working with Charlotte Lichtman, she was at the Junior level, but she was new to ice dance.

27. cruisin

Neither of which stayed together. Shannon, in fact, has had multiple partners.

28. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Also the duchesnays
    I wonder whether this means that other teams leave as well. Hoping for Tessa and Scott to go somewhere else (maybe even to Igor)

29. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Igor coached Silverstein/Pekarek, and young B/A, with Liz Coates. Liz was the one who was credited with giving both teams strong basic skills. When Liz left, S/P were no more, and people started criticizing B/A for sacrificing technique for speed.

30. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

There's still good time for that
    They are making good money touring though