SHOW OF CHAMPIONS with JOHNNY WEIR!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by mancow, Aug 1, 2012.

1. mancow

mancow New Member

2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Hello mancow! Your first post, congratulations! And thanks for the information. Wish I was still living in the New York area. Please those lucky enough to attend, I can't wait for your reports and vid clips!

3. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

4. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Not only attending but have on ice seating and attending the meet and greet afterwards, can't wait!

5. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Just ordered tickets. Johnny & Michal, here we come! :D

6. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

It seems likely that Johnny at least will debut an SP, since he's been out of competition for a few years

7. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

Excited to see Michal :swoon::swoon::swoon:

8. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM New Member

Be careful, I'm sure his girlfriend will be there! :lol:

It's a possibility, but maybe he'll wait until after he gets feedback at Champs Camp to show his programs?

9. flipforsynchro

Oh shoot. I forgot about her :mad:

10. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Show cancelled, not sure why

11. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

We received a recorded phone message stating that the show was cancelled due to low ticket sales. :( Feeling bummed out since we were really looking forward to this (and having the chance to see Michal skate in person for the first time). Johnny is always entertaining, and of course we wanted to see him (again) too!

12. flipforsynchro

:(:(:(MICHAL!!! I'm sobbing.

13. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I never received a message so I found out from people talking about it on Facebook. So sorry not to see Johnny skate but maybe if the Ice House had actually promoted the show, more people would had bought tickets.

14. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

15. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Not clear that Ice House is totally to blame for this one. JW and his management company seemed to be producing or co-producing - they were accepting the VIP reservations, etc. I agree that there was too little publicity but it's not at all clear who was primarily responsible for promotion.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  16. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Johnny's management only did VIP reservations, all others were through the rink and the only advertising I saw was from Johnny, no newspaper ads and only a small mention on rink website.

17. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Are you sure the rink was only doing non-VIP reservations? This seems to suggest they were handling them all:
    http://icehousenjfsc.org/1877/ice-house-show-of-champions-featuring-johnny-weir/

18. Willowway

Regardless of who took reservations for what, it's not immediately clear who was producing this. Sometimes (often) a producer will hire the facility and the support services (box office coverage, day of event house staff, etc.) or conversely, this could have been an Ice House Production with an assist from JW's management company. I don't know who was producing and who was responsible for promotion of the event. Whoever it was didn't exactly do a bang up job.

19. overedge

Yes, and if the public announcements were not clear about which kinds of tickets were being sold where, that probably hurt the ticket sales as well.

20. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Well all I know is that everyone I spoke to who bought tickets did so directly from the rink and even Johnny had twittered the rink's phone number for ticket sales. Somehow I can't see Johnny's management being in charge of this because when they are, they plaster their name all over the place and that wasn't the case here.

21. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Johnny's management had a special platinum VIP package which included a skating seminar from the ice house coaches, the show, meet and greet and lunch at the rink. Regular VIP tickets were for show and meet and greet (on ice seating) and regular seating was in the bleachers and did not include meet and greet.

22. overedge

Well, that should have been clear in any and all of the publicity about the show. Obviously there was a problem with consistent messaging about the ticket options.

23. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Johnny posted on his twitter several times the phone number to buy tickets and all the ticket information was posted on Johnny's Facebook page and official website. Honestly not sure if any of the other skaters scheduled to skate in the show talked about it to their fans. The Ice House had a small message about the show on its website but no advertisements were taken out in the local newspapers to let people know of the show. Given that I've just got confirmation that the rink was producing the show, I place the blame strictly on the Ice House. The rink is closed on the weekends and has hockey camp during the week, who did they expect to come to this show if the only advertisements were in-house?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  24. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I´m sure calling it an Evening with Champions and then actually seeing the list of names didn't help with ticket sales. :shuffle:

25. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

A rink that is closed on weekends? That's just odd to me.

Is it possible too that one of the skaters got injured?

26. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM New Member

I saw that on their website. I think it's for the summer.

It looks like they just don't know how to organize and sell the show.

27. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

The rink is closed only on the weekends in July and August, no injuries just poor promotion by rink. I also know several people who wanted tickets but no one was answering the phone at the rink to sell them.

28. Willowway

If you look at the freestyle schedule the rink is only closed several Saturdays all summer (I think there's only one dark Sat. in August). It is however closed all Sundays in the summer.

29. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Closed to public skating and no birthday parties over the summer

30. Willowway

Right - folks were saying the rink was closed all weekends over the summer. It isn't. No public skating but freestyle is available most Saturdays. Given the level of attendance at public skates in the summer in the northeast if my rink is any indication (very few people there and fewer in August than July), I can see why they might use the time otherwise or save the money by not hiring subs for vacationing staff.