Should Worlds go on as planned?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by neptune, Mar 12, 2011.

?

Do you think Worlds should go on as planned?

1. Yes, it should go on as planned.

51 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. I think it should still be held in Japan but delayed a month or so.

47 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. I think it should be held in another country within the next month or so.

85 vote(s)
    27.9%
  4. I think it should be canceled for this year.

34 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. I'm not sure, but I think the officials should wait at least 48 hours before making a decision.

84 vote(s)
    27.5%
  6. Other

4 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. neptune

neptune New Member

What do you think the ISU should do? I think they should delay Worlds a few weeks and hold it in another country, and let Tokyo have the event again in the somewhat near future. Regardless, they do need to wait at least a couple of days before figuring out what to do.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  2. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Well, I hope it's not cancelled.

If things actually are ok in Tokyo, I hope it proceeds as planned. As others have mentioned in the GSD thread, the money from it can be used to help the relief efforts.

If things aren't ok, I think they should either postpone it for a month or so or try to move it somewhere else. I think the first is probably the best option - less headache and financial loss, I think.

I just don't want it to be cancelled because there are some skaters who came back for a last shot at Worlds, like Sawyer and Bradley, and they'll miss their chance. I don't see why a solution can't be worked out.

That being said, the ISU should wait a few days to make an official announcement, which it seems like they are doing (although they were a bit hasty in making a tentative announcement today, they never said that was final and they said they would continue to monitor the situation).

3. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

As long as it's safe, and there are no aftershocks or anything, I think it should go on as planned. Only if it's safe though.

4. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

I agree that if it's safe and there are no major issues with travel I hope that things go on as planned. If for some reason it's not possible, I hope that they will move it to a new venue, in which case some delay would probably be necessary. They should make the decision as soon as they have enough information to do so and I have no idea when that would be. If they don't have enough info to be sure in the next few days then they should probably go ahead and plan on moving (or delaying) it so that the skaters and others involved have time to change their travel plans.

5. neptune

neptune New Member

The thing is, there's really no way to know that for sure. If Worlds were a month or so away, then it would be easier to assess the safety factors.

6. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I think it should be canceled. Japan is in total chaos. I think it is unfair to the Japanese skaters.........their lives, families, friends, training facilities have all been touched by this. They have to be losing training time.............as well they should. Some people can't even find their families. It is a horrid tragedy, and should be acknowledged as such. Even if Japanese travel, accommodations, and communications can be pulled together.....who can I still think it gives the Japanese skaters a disadvantage.

7. blue_idealist

Other sporting events have gone on, I'm sure, with one country at a disadvantage. Also, no one HAS to attend even if it goes on.

8. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I think the disadvantage is to the skaters who have to fly in and aren't sure if they are able to in the next week. Not the skaters who already live there, at least they could still compete.

9. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I have the view that Worlds should be moved-date and location-wise. I don't think it's such a crazy thought.

Plan B, IMO, is to cancel the WTT next month and hold Worlds then. Also IMO, the very generous prize money the JSF has put on the line for WTT should go to the relief effort (and I doubt many skaters would disagree).

I think the most important thing in this case is Japan's safety. If it's not going to benefit the people of Japan, it's not worth having. If it's just going to create hassle, it's not worth having. If it's a welcome treat and a chance for everyone to relax, it's worth having.

Either way, though, I think the best thing is a new location and a new date.

10. FrouFrou

FrouFrou New Member

That's a really good idea.

11. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I agree with this opinion.

I don't agree with this one. Shouldn't it be individual skaters' decision what to do with their hard earned prize money? Of course it would be wonderful for earthquake victims and the sport if skaters generously donate portion of their earnings.

12. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I think it's up to Japan to decide.

13. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

Sigh.

14. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

What about other sporting events?
    I think observing what others are doing could serve as a reference. What are they doing with their upcoming baseball, football, and golf tournament schedules?

15. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Of course it should go ahead. The worse thing to do when an act of god happens is to be paralysed by that event. Tokyo's infrastructure is fine, there is little damage and the risk of earthquakes is always there in Japan. Does that mean they should stop hosting events simply because there are risks?

If that is what happens then all events everywhere in the world should not be held because everywhere is a potential danger.

I can't speak for the Japanese but the 6.3 earthquake in Christchurch that my city experienced has paralysed this city to such an extent that life isn't returning back to normal. Instead of getting on with life the situation here is in my opinion paralysing this city where we're not living. Instead, by not returning to normality people are only getting more stressed out and more vulnerable.

16. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

One of the towers in the nuclear plant north of Tokyo just exploded. The cloud of radiation could go as far as California, they say. I'm not sure that I am willing to travel to Tokyo now...to put my health in jeopardy, as much as I love figure skating.

Japn now has mandatory evacuations within 50 miles of the plant. The radius may be widened later today.

My heart and prayers to the people of Japan, suffering now a 'triple whammy' - earthquake, tsunami and radiation.

17. bek

bek Guest

I really disagree here. If skaters were making millions like hockey players, baseball players, I could totally see suggesting it become a charity event. But except for maybe a few skaters, many of these skaters could really use that money. The ISU is also threatening sanctions on skaters if they don't attend-these skaters deserve to get paid.

How would you feel if someone said they were going to make you give your paycheck to the relief effort? What if you were planning on using that paycheck to pay your own bills and you really couldn't afford to give that much money. And why just the skaters, why not everyone? Its not about not wanting to be generous, its about the fact that people do have other responsibilities.

If the Japanese federation wants to donate a portion of the proceeds that would be nice. Maybe they could do a charity gala. But no way should the skaters be forced to attend an event, an event that was suppose to give them a nice pay check, and not get paid.

Its not like there aren't going to be a ton of relief efforts for the victims.

18. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Japan probably has other things to do right now. And I don't think a month will change anything. :(
    I don't want it to be cancelled, of course. So, I guess it would be better to held it in another country.

19. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Are sighing at the comments or plainly at the situation?

20. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I think the champs should be postponed and possibly moved to another location near that part of the world. They shouldn't be cancelled - it's not fair to all the skaters who have trained the whole year for this moment to have to wait another year.

21. a56

a56 New Member

I agree with briancoogaert. Worlds really should not be cancelled because so many skaters have worked so much for this moment. I think it should be moved to another country (with a delay/postponement of course to maybe later this spring or summer) in Europe, USA, or Canada. Maybe Europe would be best, since so many of the federations are there.

22. blue_idealist

Yeah, I agree with this, not because I don't care about the relief effort, but because some skaters are living in poverty. Maybe not American and Canadian skaters, and I know Adrian Schultheiss probably isn't going to that event, but I just read the article yesterday about him having to live on $900 USD a month which pays for his living expenses and his coaching/ice expenses.

23. blue_idealist

Yes exactly.

24. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

I might be wrong, I don't want to speak for victoriaheidi, but I took her post to mean that she thinks Worlds should be held instead of the WTT in April, and then the money that the ISU would have paid out if the WTT had taken place would go to charity. Not that they should still compete at the WTT but for no money.

I think Worlds should be delayed if neccessary, but it does seem impossible to tell at the moment if it is necessary or not, and as people have said in other threads it is hard to think about when so much devastation has happened. :(

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  25. bek

bek Guest

I realize she could mean that but she needs to understand to that if Worlds doesn't happen as scheduled (and perhaps WTT too) the Japanese Federation could be out a lot of money. The Japanese fed may need that money to recoop some of their own loses.

26. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

That's not what I meant. I guess I skipped something-I meant that the event is completely extraneous at this point and that the JSF should just donate the money to the relief effort.

See above.

Sorry I went to bed without explaining myself! :)

I didn't think about that so much, mostly because I assumed that the ISU financed Worlds, while JSF financed the WTT (to get it to happen). If they can't afford it, there's no point in donating it.

My overall point was that the World Team Trophy is going to be completely extraneous after this, and the money that JSF put out there would be better spent on relief-and I'm sure that most of the skaters would agree. And yes, I am saying that WTT should be cancelled.

27. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

Continuing to hold the Worlds in Tokyo confirms how self-centered and small minded some folks at the ISU continue to be. I have been through the aftermath of two major (at least then they were considered major) earthquakes. It took weeks and even months for life to return to normal for the community. Our quakes were only 6.5, not 8.9.

Yes, there is the argument that a diversion would be welcome. But, right now, the Japanese people are probably doing whatever it takes to get things back to normal. Is now really the time to bring in added security issues, traffic and the always pompus wanting to be pampered ISU officials?

I know that Mr. Cinquanta wants to hold the annual party, but maybe a delay or new location for this year is in order.

28. bek

bek Guest

I believe a hosting federation puts up quite a bit of money when they host event. Broadcasting rights, all kinds of things are involved and the Japanese federation could lose some serious money. I would think there quite a lot of money invested in WTT too.

And to be frank, I don't see why both can't be postponed. WTT is a way for a lot of skaters to make some money. Why not maybe two months from now. Of course the goal was every two years, so maybe they could just have it next year, and the year after, and then move back to the two year schedule.

The quakes though weren't in Tokyo from the reports. I think the issue is once again its not the ISU that stands to lose a lot of money, but the Japanese Federation as well. It all depends on how much life is affected in Tokyo.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2011
  29. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I wouldn't mind if both were postponed, but wouldn't that cut into skaters' prep for next season?

30. miki88

miki88 New Member

Doesn't the ISU earn profit from tickets? Frankly, I don't see how there will be a great audience turn out this year. I'm sure a lot of the Japanese fans are not in the mood to see a figure skating competition in a crisis like this. And for international fans, air travel is inconvenient and there may be fears for safety reasons. Even if they manage to go on with the event, I don't see how they'll really benefit in terms of money because there will be many ticket reimbursements.