Should Rutgers College Basketball Coach Be Fired?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by jenny12, Apr 3, 2013.

?

Should Rutgers' College Basketball Coach Be Fired?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    90.9%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

2. Jem X

Jem X Skate America arrives!

I am so happy this video came out, because I think that the AD at Rutgers would have kept the coach on otherwise. The video is leading to widespread condemnation of both the coach and the AD at Rutgers. Also, the B1G's commissioner, Jim Delaney, will probably advise Rutgers to terminate Rice before they join the B1G.

3. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Waaaaaay over the top. Too physical, too much verbal abuse. There is intensity, then there is crossing the line to abusive stupidity. The fact that he loses players to other programs should be a red flag to the school administration, especially the AD. Either it didn't catch their eye or they didn't care. Whatever. He's got to go. The same with the AD.

NJL

4. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

He just got suspended after that video? What would he have to do to get fired? Kill someone accidentally?

There should be no place for that kind of behavior.

5. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I agree Coco.

6. jenny12

Looks like Mike Rice was fired this morning which I think was obviously the right call. I know there has been questionable behavior in the past from coaches like Bobby Knight but I don't believe this should be tolerated no matter who it is from.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  7. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

He should have been fired a long time ago.

8. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I like to hear why the two voters think he shouldn't be fired. I personally can't comprehend why someone would think he shouldn't be fired, so I'd like to understand the other side's reasoning better.

9. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

10. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Wow. I'd heard about this video but hadn't watched it. The guy was really out of control. What he's doing is assault and battery, and it's hard for me to see what he's communicating to players except rage.

11. rudi

rudi Well-Known Member

I'm glad he was fired and that this story has gotten national attention.
    He was "caught" on camera, but there are other coaches in various sports that get away with more than they should. There is a fine line between being tough and being abusive, and some do cross that line. Maybe this will cause those coaches to think twice before saying or doing something that is detrimental/can cause long term damage to a kid's well being and/or self esteem.

12. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I was talking to some people at a sports bar recently, and almost all of them thought that the media attention was over-the-top. Their reasons were that it's a part of sports and toughens people up, that basketballs being thrown at you don't hurt that much, that they were grown men and could have defended themselves if they wanted to or had avenues to complain but didn't, and that all the people reacting aren't part of the sports scene and don't understand the culture.

I mainly responded with asking why are people so ready to excuse or justify abhorrent behavior and what amounts to abuse of authority when it comes to sports? I also doubt young adults out of high school, especially if they want to keep their scholarships or place on the team, really know what to do in a situation where someone of unequal standing acts in certain behavior the students wouldn't tolerate from anyone else. Of course, many kept comparing this to the Penn State situation and how because it's "nowhere near as bad" as what went down with Penn State, then Rice's behavior really wasn't so bad.

13. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I absolutely 1,000% agree that he should have been fired.

Then the assistant coach quit, then the athletic director, I am sure they were both forced to do so.

I hope the process of the terminations was clean so that none of them has recourse for unfair termination practices by the university. Coach was warned and fined in December, but if I understand correctly the video was from before then, so I don't think he repeated any horrible habits.

Also, he had some clause in his contract so that he is being given a $100,000 bonus for staying multiple years at Rutgers. Really?

I wonder if any one of them will be hired anywhere else.

I don't care how tough the culture is in college basketball, those poor kids were abused.

14. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Lacey - I was shocked, but not surprised as it seems to be business as usual for both sports and corporate business, that he had a clause allowing some sort of bonus despite his being fired.

Any body, any where, any profession should realize that all interactions are subject to videotaping and place out on any web site.

15. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

FBI Investigating Whistle Blower

This just keeps getting dirtier everyday.

16. jenny12

Yeah, I've heard that point as well. Certainly this was nowhere near as bad as Penn State, but if we judged everything by Penn State, then nothing is as bad. Obviously not every coach acts like this, but those that do, need to learn that there are many other ways of motivating people.