Should Rachael Flatt & Mirai Nagasu now retire?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Jan 30, 2012.

?

Should Rachael Flatt & Mirai Nagasu now retire?

Poll closed Feb 29, 2012.
  1. Rachael Flatt should retire

73 vote(s)
    46.5%
  2. Mirai Nagasu should retire

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. They both should retire

13 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Neither should retire

59 vote(s)
    37.6%
  5. Don't know

9 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

The very first post that set up the thread read:-

You will note that it is my view that neither should retire. However, that does not get away from the fact that some people have been saying that they should (as evidenced by the fact that around 60% in the poll at the time of writing have voted that one or other of them should retire) and the thread was a reaction to that. That doesn't make those 60% who have voted in favour stupid. Hence the question was asked as its a reflection of what people have been saying. Nevertheless, it is my hope that the option that neither of them should retire will win out and the more people that vote for that option and set out in the thread why they should not retire to persuade others to do likewise, the more likely it is that that option will win out.

Nobody has stated that either of them should be forced to retire. The question was couched of terms of whether those voting believed it was advisable for them to retire given current circumstances if they were in their shoes. The decision as to whether either skater does or doesn't retire is for them and them alone. As stated, it is my view that they shouldn't retire and that it is still possible for them to turn things around and make the 2014 Olympics.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

Hey, I'm from England & we would kill to have Rachael OR Mirai skate for us !
    Do you know if they fancy coming to live in blighty for a couple of British passports?!
    I could have a word with the Queen the next time I go over for afternoon tea.
    Liz is skating mad & would be happy to help !

3. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

If Rachael wants to skate a couple more seasons fine by me but if she carries on like Suguri it will be even more embarrassing since Rachael at her best wasn't as good as Suguri. But Rachael's days of contending for anything are done.

4. roma

roma New Member

Nope. Let them skate till they themselves want to call it quits. How many times have we seen skaters being put down because they had a couple of down seasons only to see them improve after? Mao, Caroline, Caro, Akiko to name a few...

5. os168

os168 Active Member

LOL... bad idea!

I am from London too, and if we are to import anyone, I'd rather pick one of the Russian wonder babies please preferably JL (I doubt we will get to be so lucky). Although the thought of Mirai going on one of those UK university binge drinking parties did make me smile. She need to loosen up and find joy and spontaneity again some how. She has the talent, she just need to get it out there when it matters.

Rachel on the other hand has fully realized her potential already and well done her. Time to give it a rest and focus on the next chapter in her life. Stanford student life should be amazing and should demand her full attention.

6. olifaunt

olifaunt New Member

Echoing the sentiment that neither should retire UNLESS that's what they want to do. Mirai still has buckets of talent. She just needs a change, whether it's in her coaching, her choreographer, her sports psychologist, whatever it takes to make her happy. Rachael isn't coming back from a broken leg anymore and she has more experience juggling school and skating. It's obvious that she still likes the sport enough to try jamming it into her schedule. I'd be quite happy to see them both around next year.

7. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

^This. Why should fans have any say in when an athlete should retire?! Mirai and Rachael will leave the sport when they get good and ready to. To be honest, we shouldn't even be having this conversation.

8. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Maria was a late bloomer. Her international career basically started at 23, and she gradually got better for the next 3-4 years from there. The year she won Worlds she was actually the clear 2nd favorite in a weak transitional field so in theory it shouldnt be that surprising she won. She basically just waited out long enough for almost everyone to retire/decline/slump and then happened to peak at the exact right moment.

As others have said it will be their decision what to do of course. I got the impression like many others in this thread from Rachels reaction after her very good Nationals LP that it was her finale and I will be surprised if she doesnt announce her retirement from amateur skating shortly. Wouldnt be surprised to see her do some shows on the side in coming years. Nagasu I have no idea what will do. If she retired it wouldnt surprise me, but if she continues it wouldnt either. I hope if she continues she does not continue as she was going about things this sesaon though.

9. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

OT, but was Butyrskaya ever a top lady for the USSR? I don't remember her ever competing internationally prior to 1993 but due to her age, it's probable she was a respectable young Soviet teen skater on the USSR Nationals level amidst the likes of Lebedeva and Rachkova, or even in the era of Ivanova and Kondrashova in their later years ...

10. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

She took bronze at the last soviet nationals.

A lot of her bitterness seemed to revolve around the federation dumping her as a child as "unpromising" and thus she had to support herself coming up.

11. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

^^This.

I hope any US lady skates late into her 20's if she loves the sport. Some of the best skating has come from ladies who've stayed in for years and made comebacks. Many people kept saying Czisny and Zhang should have retired. They didn't. They set goals and turned their skating around even when it looked hopeless.

I'd like to see Nagasu and Flatt stick it out for years to come. And I expect the same comeback stories for Nagasu or Flatt, even with younger talent coming up the ranks. Younger talent doesn't always work out. And the years of experience between these 2 ladies will only help them.

12. judgejudy27

I remember at Skate Canada in late 1992 they mentioned she had been 3rd at the 1992 USSR Championships, the last ever USSR Championships. So she missed going to the Albertville Olympics for the Unified Team as an 18 year old by 2 placings. Their representative there placed in the teens somewhere though. They also mentioned she had been told to retire at 15, so she had obviously progressed alot in her late teens in the final years of the USSR to even arrive at that point.

13. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Flatt has peaked and isn't going to be a champion. If she ever does win Nats again then the US will have hit a all time low.

14. judgejudy27

A hypothetical future comeback success for Flatt would not be winning Nationals, but winning the pewter medal someday ala Zhang this year. Also like Zhang this year that would probably be the height of the comeback story, as it would likely be mid quad like this year before a new batch of juniors makes the push for the Olympics.

15. minignome

minignome New Member

The decision for them to continue to skate should be made by them with input from their parents & coaches. Only they can decide if the joy they get from it is worth the sacrifices.

16. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I think they should retire only if they no longer enjoy skating. It seems to me that Rachael still loves to skate, even if many posters do not love watching her.

Mirai- I don't know. She got her first international medal this season, not really a retirement sign... But she also seems miserable out there.

I'd love for both of them to get back to their previous levels of success

17. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Rachael should retire and focus on school.

Mirai shouldn't retire because she has more talent and just needs to get her head together. Plus, she doesn't have a potential bio-engineering career in the making to attend to.

18. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

It is vitally important than when one fails at something, they must quit immediately. Otherwise we would be surrounded by loosers. And who would want that?

Much love,

PeterG
    Spelling Teacher

19. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

:eek::eek: How dare you make such awful comments, PeterG? You must be the worst person in the world! Meanie!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

Love,
    An expert at detecting sarcasm ;)

20. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I looooooooove this post. So, so much.

Sew I think we agree. Marai and Rachel shuld retier bcuz there scores at this years' Nashinals weren't real good.

21. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

And how do you know that?

22. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Brian Boitano had no business coming back and trying for the Olys in '94. He didn't even win his own Nationals and kept a truly deserving skater from going to Lillehammer. And he didn't even make the podium! And who did Petrenko think he was trying for the same thing? And Katarina Witt? Let's face it, Kurt Browning peaked about a year before the '92 Olympics, there was no way he was going to do well. Why he bothered to stick around after that was ridiculous. I mean, yeah, he won '93 Worlds, but that was just a fluke, really. He just made a fool out of himself in '94. And can you believe that Elaine Zayak came back in '94, ten years after her last competition? OMG! How EMBARRASSING! Why did we have to be subjected to all these has-beens, past their prime??? How utterly PAINFUL to endure!!!

(I hope you all know that I'm obviously being sarcastic here.)

23. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I know you're being sarcastic, but for all the reasons you stated above, I wish my parents had taped the 94 Olympics. That's a tape I'd love to have now that I have a VCR.

24. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Well, either one should retire when they want to, not when fans or media tell them to.

That said, I definitely think Flatt has hit her peak and it's really downhill from here. If Flatt chooses to retire now, she can be satisfied with her effort at US Nationals...her final competitive performance was a strong and emotional one.

As for Nagasu, it really depends on her- whether she is willing to buckle down or whether she has lost all source of motivation. I don't think it's too late for her to turn things around if she wants to shoot for Sochi, but she better get cracking this summer as the clock is ticking.

25. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I taped it but my VCR died on me and I haven't bothered to buy another one yet since I have a TV/DVD combo. Keep meaning to though. I want to see "Carmen on Ice" on television again rather than on youtube. :D