Should I go to the hospital?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Gazpacho, Jan 31, 2014.

1. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I've heard of Latuda, but I don't think it's been licenced in the UK where I live. I know that almost all anti-psychotics make you gain weight, but it might be worth it if the drug helps you. I encourage you to read up on any new medication, as well as asking the medical staff. If you really are going to come off drugs that your doctor has prescribed, do it slowly. Don't do it cold turkey; I tried that a couple of times and it was a nightmare.

By the way, there's no need whatsoever to be embarrassed when going to the pharmacy. The pharmacists see many psychiatric patients. My own are fully aware of my psychological state and my drug regime and they go out of their way to be helpful. You have a serious illness; for your own sake please don't add unnecessary embarrassment into the mix.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

(((Gazpacho))) I understand your concerns. It must be scary to take a medicine you have not taken before. When I feel like this, I trust the doctor as he/she is the expert. It never hurts to try. If you have problems with the drug, contact the doctor immediately, but don't shy away from trying. Not doing anything keeps you where you are right now, and you clearly don't like that.

You can do it. We are your cheerleaders. Take one small step at a time, and sooner or later you will find happiness. Keep that dream alive. I wish you success.

3. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

I don't want to gain weight. When I went on Seroquel, I actually felt it was doing something until I stepped on the scale and saw how much weight I gained. That sent me into a pretty scary depression.

I'm going to cold-turkey the Wellbutrin. I've done it before and had no withdrawal effects at all. The Lexapro I'll try to taper down.

Except when you hear, "Wow, that's a lot of meds". And when you go to the doctor and have to fill out the form of medications and there's no space, and then you overhear the doctor and her medical student trainee wondering if the symptoms I'm describing are hypochondria.

Latuda will cost several hundred dollars a month, bringing my monthly prescription total into the thousands despite insurance coverage. (They only cover certain drugs and only up to a certain dosage.)

I've spent the past half hour crying and pricking myself with needles because I'm so frustrated.

4. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I mean this kindly, but sometimes you have to accept that your drugs are not absolutely ideal. It's going to take a long time before anything approaching a cure for various mental illnesses is found. As for the weight gain, could you keep to a calorie controlled diet? That's what I've always been advised to do when given an anti-psychotic.

Yes, as far as I understand the US health system, that may not be possible for you. As for the first quote, it's quite possible that the pharmacist was sympathising and not criticising. You need someone to discuss the monetary side of things with an expert. But sorry, I don't know who that would be in the US.

I can sympathise; I've done the same thing many times. But in the end, while hurting yourself often makes you feel better momentarily, it solves nothing.

Don't give up.

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  5. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

I'm sorry you're experiencing so much pain and frustration. I wish you felt better. I hope you do soon. I'm glad you're staying in touch and sharing what's going on.

6. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Are you sure you don't want to stay on them for a little while? Did you ask about Effexor as a substitute for Wellbutrin or Lexapro? I looked up Latuda. There is the requisite list of side effects and warnings. The only one I would be concerned about is that it can raise blood sugar levels. So, if you have high blood sugar (diabetes), make sure your doctor knows about it. It sounds like it is similar to Abilify. My father was put on that by his psychiatrist. I found out and called his PC doctor, because my dad was a brittle diabetic. Found out Dad's blood sugar had spiked into the 300s. He had to go off. Unfortunately, most antidepressants and antipsychotics will cause weight gain.

7. cruisin

I can too. It's as if physical pain distracts you from the exquisite anguish of emotional pain. But, you're right, it solves nothing. And you could accidentally give yourself an infection or cause scarring.

((((((((Gazpacho))))))))) I'm so sorry you are going through this. I wish there was something I could say or a magic wand I could wave to help you.

8. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Fcuk them. You have to take care of yourself. That's by far the most important thing.

No matter what you decide to do, let your doctor know. Or at least the pharmacist. Even if he is unhelpful in letting you try new drugs, the doctor or the pharmacist know these meds and of any possible dangerous mixes.

9. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Don't let your Dr. make you feel bad about yourself! Find a new doctor!!! They aren't there to judge you, they are supposed to be there to help you. :(

10. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Gazpacho ... you might check the website of whatever pharmaceutical company makes the Latuda to see if that manufacturer has a program to help with the cost. A lot of drug manufacturers do that. If the drug works and you feel better, you may feel up to getting more exercise ... which will help with the weight gain.

11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Oh, Gazpacho. *hugs* I'm so sorry they made you feel bad about yourself. But their opinions don't matter. Your life and your health are what matter. You do what's best for you and don't give a crap about them.

12. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Latuda is manufactured by Sunovion. Here it the number to call to see if you qualify for assistance: 1-877-850-0819. There is also a link on the Latuda site to apply for discounts: http://latuda.com/

I got the number from this site: http://www.pparx.org/en. PPA is who we would refer seniors to who could not afford their meds. I couldn't find any age restrictions, so I am assuming it's not just for seniors.

Gazpacho and (deleted member) like this.
  13. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

{{{Gazpacho}}} I am sorry you are still suffering so much. Please talk to your doctor about the meds you are not willing to take. He/she should know, and you should be partners in your care and treatment. If you're not taking prescribed meds, and something happens, your doctor won't understand the situation fully. Pleas hang in there and keep posting. We do all care about you. We're like a circle, a line that never ends. And in the middle is you....

14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I hope that you are able to work with your doctor(s) to find a solution.

15. cruisin

Hope we hear from you today. Hope you have some good news that you are feeling better. Sending lots of XOXOXOXOXOXOs

16. Vash01

Gazpacho, I hope you feel better.

17. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

THis is important. If an emergency should arise, or if you are somewhere far from home, it needs to be on record what you are taking, and it's important to talk with your doctor about what you will and won't take and why.

So sorry you are still feeling rotten. Well, beyond rotten. mental illness is very frustrating and it can be hard not to feel "stuck" and I totally hear you saying how "stuck" you feel. But you WILL get better.

18. immoimeme

How are you feeling today? Please let us know :)

19. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Hi Gazpacho -- thinking of you tonight --

20. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

So glad to see you've checked in the last few days and I'm praying for you.

I hear you about location. I'm in rural Canada and none of us are able to drive. Thank God for Good Neighbours, but it's still tough w/all the appts between tbe three of us. As for leaving a Pharmacy w/a bag of meds...Been there, done that. I let them know I'm a Kidney Transplant Recipient and that usually does the trick. When it doesn't & they're being smarmy idiots, then I just let it go....Until they're out of earshot and then I'll say something under my breath. Those idiots just aren't worth worrying over. I also do know how hard it is to say and do, especially when it's been very vicous and mean.

I hope you try the new med after you check it out and learn what it's all about. If it doesn't pose an interaction problem w/your other meds, then it's worth giving it try.

Hang in there and keep fighting and checking in w/us. You know we're here.

succubus and (deleted member) like this.
  21. jlai

jlai Title-less

I hope everything turns out ok. Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  22. Vash01

Gazpacho, please continue to post here. I am thinking of you.

23. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Hi Gazpacho,

Thinking of you today. Have you been able to talk with anyone? We miss you.

24. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Thinking of you, Gazpacho! Please check in when you can!

25. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

(((Gaz))) We're thinking of you.

26. cruisin

Hi Gazpacho, Hoping we hear from you today. We all want to know how you are feeling. Please, just a few words, so that we know how you are doing. XOXO

27. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Adding to all the concern, support and prayers you are receiving.
    ((((((Gazpacho)))))))

28. immoimeme

Please let us know how you are.

29. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Hey, Gazpacho, thinking of you today. ((HUGS))

30. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Thanks for your concern. Things were slightly better yesterday, but then I had a horrible nightmare last night and feel drained and anxious. I have started getting into the Olympics but have a lot of catching up to do. Looking forward to the pairs competition tomorrow. Go Tatiana and Maxim! :)