Should I go to the hospital?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Gazpacho, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

That's pretty cynical of your professor, bordering on offensive. The performing arts are about adopting a different role, pretending to be someone you're not, and memorizing scripts. The vast majority of counselors are not acting when they say they care and want to help.

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

"performance art" is not the same thing as "the performing arts". you may still find it cynical/offensive, of course, but I think it's a good description.

Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I see what you're saying, but he didn't mean it like that. I believe he meant as a therapist you must juggle a lot of information in your head, all the while remaining present, genuine, and engaged....not acting like you are someone else. I found that with some clients it was like walking a tightrope. It can be a tough job. A therapist does have to adopt a 'role'. They are not your 'friend', they are not your 'enemy', they are not your 'boss'. Like you said there are some qualities that cannot be taught, they are innate in one's personality.

4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

(((Gazpacho))) Sending you love and support.

5. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I think this is true, especially since a lot of therapists use scripts they learned in school, such as active listening. A Counselling Psychology program I'm familiar with teaches a lot of scripts and has a lot of 'rules' (i.e, don't give advice). As a result, they produce cookie-cutter graduates.

I also think that the best therapists are mostly genuine and able to be flexible and intuitive in responding to different clients. As a result, they do not need to act a part, though they do need to remain focused and positive.

6. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

Just a quick "Hi" and to let you all know I am thinking about you!!! :)

7. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

How are you doing Gazpacho? Hopefully better.

I am not as panicked as I was, though I am still a bit shaky. The problem is that when I get so anxious, it really effects my reflux and stomach. I have been on Prilosec for 2 weeks now, and it's just starting to not feel like I swallowed battery acid. Going to have to stay on daily for another two weeks then go back to every other day.

8. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Just want to add my wishes that Gazpacho is doing better ... I hope, cruisin, that things improve for you also.

9. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I hope it settles down quickly, cruisin. That's an awful feeling.

I'm thinking about you, Gazpacho. Now that it is summer, I wonder: do you love gazpacho (the soup)? Do you have a favorite recipe for it? It is my favorite summer soup, but somehow the attempts I make at home never turn out all that well.

10. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Waving hi to both Gazpacho and cruisin! ((HUG even though it's really warm here so I might be sweaty))

11. cruisin

Thanks to everyone. Hanging in. Still dealing with the OCD germ stuff, though not quite as obsessively. Stomach feels much better. It took a while this time for the Prilosec to start working. It's crazy because sometimes the pain from reflux feels like a heart attack. I know I have reflux, so I wait it out. Then I worry that one of these days I will wait it out and be wrong. Of corse that is complicated because I am phobic about germs and hospitals. It really sucks to live inside a head that does this when you know it makes no sense.

12. Gazpacho

:( I understand what you mean. Hospitals can be so scary even if you don't have mental health issues.

Have you had an endoscopy to investigate your reflux? Sometimes reflux is caused by other conditions.

13. cruisin

Mine was probably caused by my eating disorder. My stomach gets enflamed too. I've had 3 endoscopies. The last one was a few months ago.

Glad you posted, miss you when you don't :). Hope you are feeling well.

14. Gazpacho

After an okay to good two weeks, I'm crashing and having a paralyzing meltdown. It's as if the longer I hold it together, the worst the "recovery" is. I have a lot of things, including a long car trip, that I need to do tomorrow. The long term consequences and monetary costs of not doing them are bad. But I can't do anything except shaking and sobbing.

15. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

How awful .... still praying for you.

16. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Good luck Gaz!

17. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

:( ((HUGS))

18. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

(((((HUGS)))) and prayers that all will go well in spite of things seeming bleak.

19. cruisin

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad, again. Try to push yourself to do what you have to do. Sometimes it is the thinking about it, the preparing for it, that overwhelms us. Once the anticipation is over, and we take that first step, we feel a little better. Sending you hugs and strength. XOXO

20. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

((hugs)) Sending good vibes your way for today and hoping that it is manageable for you.

21. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

((((((Gazpacho))))))

22. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

{{{Gazpacho}}}

23. iloveemoticons

iloveemoticons Well-Known Member

((((Gazpacho))))