Should I Go Back to School?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Does anyone have feedback on Central Michigan U?
  2. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

:cheer2: Rex! You can do it!
  3. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I say go for it. I'm actually going back myself but am choosing the full-time route since I want to change careers. Have you taken the GMAT or GRE yet? Some programs don't require either test, but I believe Temple does (I was looking into their fast track international program, but since I got in somewhere else before I even sent the application out, I never applied).
  4. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I'm on the fence. Frankly, all the really successful people I know in marketing (who demand major salaries and benefits) do NOT have marketing degrees. They all told me that a marketing degree is a dime a dozen these days. I was considering going to back to school for it too and they said it wasn't necessary.
  5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Thanks for the words of support you two. I just found out my EO said I can start when I'm ready. He's getting more information for me today.

I'm not pursuing a marketing degree. Where did I say that?
  6. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

None of the people in my marketing department majored in marketing for their bachelors degree, but all have MBAs, and many of them did marketing for their concentration in their MBA.

My coworker's undergrad degrees are in: fine art, history, food science, business, print technology, Russian, engineering, etc. Only one person majored in business. None majored in marketing. In classical consumer goods marketing, your undergrad can be in any subject - it teaches you how to think and learn, write and reason. Your MBA gets you hired.
  7. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

:rollin:Edumacation!:rollin:
    Make sure you share what you learn here ;)
    Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

It sounded to me that manleywoman was planning on it, not that she thought you were.
  9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ohhh, my bad. Sorry manleywoman.
    Southpaw and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

CMU has a graduate program where I work. They have online and traditional graduate programs with classes that meet only on weekends. I don't know anything about their other programs, but I know something about the weekend program, if that would help you.

They do have both regional and AACSB accreditation.
  11. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Actually I was referring to where Rex said this in his first post:
    So I assumed he was looking for a marketing degree. My mistake.

But yes, I was looking at it myself as well, and that was what I was told by the most successful people in marketing I know. And none of the three of them have MBAs either.
  12. CDANN1013

CDANN1013 Active Member

At 42 now 43, I decided to go back to school as a freshman at Penn State. It was/is the best decision I have ever made. Enjoy the experience, Rex.

Carol
  13. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

What falls under the umbrella of marketing can vary from company to company.

In my experience, creative types and business development (sales) types do not really need MBAs, though any kind of advanced degree is usually helpful in breaking through to the upper-level positions more quickly.

Strategists and product/line managers usually do need a MBA or an advanced degree.

The people who can really command the big bucks are marketers with a finance background. If you can marry the two, your paycheck will be fat in no time. :bribe:
  14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

One of the best doctors I've met started medical school at 42. Go for it, Rex! :)
  15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

What do you know?
  16. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

everything.
  17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

That's Prancer :p.
  18. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Good on you Rex and good luck with it all, whether it be marketing or not.
  19. Prancer

The weekend program is a BEAR. That's what I know. Each term lasts for six weeks with two terms every calendar quarter, and this is the general class schedule: Fri 6:00PM-10:00PM; Sat 8:00AM-4:30PM

Sometimes they have classes on Sunday, too. The programs move very quickly; you can get done in about half the usual time. But you will bleed for it.

The students at my CMU branch are all military or civil service; I don't believe that they accept anyone else here. That means all their grad programs are very government-focused. The students seem to think the workload is very heavy during a term; I don't know anything about that, as I don't work in CMU programs. My general impression is that the students are very focused and competitive; none of my CMU referrals have ever been slackers--although I do wish the CMU people would do a better job of cleaning up my classroom after pizza parties.

I will say that CMU tries very hard to make students feel like they are in a real CMU program rather than just taking classes somewhere (a real problem where I work); it isn't easy, but they try.
  20. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

The speeded up courses :yikes: I did Multi-Cultural Ed in two weeks. I did nothing but read, write, research.

I would NOT do it again.
    jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Prancer

All of my classes right now are half-terms, and I hate most of them. The workload in one class in particular drives the students to tears and most of them would really benefit from more time. So would I.

But there are people for whom these courses are blessings. It just depends on what you are aiming for and how dedicated you are to doing it.

My experience with CMU students is that most of them end up having to take some time off because they can't deal with the incessant pace. But even with that, most of them graduate early.
  22. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

My undergrad program at Cabrini was accelerated. One Saturday for almost two years. 9am to 1pm. And you had to really stay caught up on the reading and homework because of the pace.
  23. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I'm so used to an accelerated course schedule, that when I took a traditionally paced course, I had to be very careful not to drift/get lost. I was so used to having to work constantly, that having that same work spread out was, at first, dangerous - I feared I'd lose my place, forget to do stuff.

You get used to the fast schedule. I actually prefer it. But it is one heck of a lot of work.
  24. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Seriously. And I was also living with my invalid grandmother at the time, and was helping to take care of her, and that cuts into study time. I found it easier to go to the campus library after classes and just stay there until 6 or so, just to stay caught up. God forbid if you should be sick and miss a class...
  25. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Only if you're mature. I know plenty of 20 somethings who sign up for intensives and skip at least 50% of the classes. Strangely, they seem to get Bs anyway.
  26. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

27. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

28. Civic

Civic New Member

It sounds as if your CMU students are in a cohort program. In a cohort program, all the students start during the same semester or term; take all of the same classes and progress through the program as a group.

29. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Naturally most of what I know about CMU concerns the marching band and the music program :p But those are both pretty good, which is always a good sign to me. And I know several people who went there and are very happy.
  30. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Just when I thought I had it narrowed down to one, my ESO found two universities that not only offer MBA programs online, but offer 90-100% financial coverage for with the TA program for veterans; Brenau Univerisity and Liberty University, the latter a "Christian" college. I could get full coverage without paying a dime, and my "payback" time to the federal gov't starts when I start class. So by the time I finish, I'd only be obligated to them for a few months at the most. But I think I'd like to stay with the government. Both schools have regional accreditation.

American Military University was my final choice, but they are $325 per credit, or $975 per semester.

Colorado Technical University called me this morning and they are very aggressive in their pursuit of grad students and have a couple of MBA programs I'm very interested in, but at almost $1800 per semester, so not doable. The Coast Guard's limit is $750 per semester. My goal is to have a final decision by summer so I can start in the fall. Most of these do allow you to start when you are ready, but I want a last hurrah before I buckle down.