Should Halloween be moved from the 31rst...to the last Sat.?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by FSWer, Oct 26, 2011.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Ok.I saw this on the News,and thought I'd post it for opinions. It is....Do you think Halloween (meaning Trick-or-Treating) should be moved from the 31rst,to the last Sat. in Oct.? Here's what I heard. To summerize...they said that Parents are concerned about kids not being able to get Homework done. As well as it always on a School Night. Though some people feel that it should stay were it is. I myself feel that, hey...leave the Holidays alone!! The Holidays come only once a year,and it's the 1 Night the kids can dress up and enjoy themselves. Also,it is what makes Haloween...Halloween. It has been on the 31rst forever with no problem...why change it? Also Parents have a curfew anyway. Any other thoughts?
  2. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Well, I do and don't.
    Halloween is the best party night of the year and it sucks that it's on a Monday. I have no time to drink myself silly while wearing lingerie and animal ears and make out with guys wearing gorilla masks on Monday night! Silly work and all :rolleyes: :drama:

On the other hand, Halloween on any day other than the 31st seems wrong.

(kids? Hallowen's for kids?)
  3. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Nevada day is also on Oct 31, so usually Halloween is held around here on the weekend night closest to the actual holiday.
  4. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

No changes. Hallowe'en is All Hallows' Eve- any other night is just wrong. Besides- most of the kids are finished before 8 o'clock around here- the little ones start coming before 7.

I don't see the problem for one night of the year.
  5. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

We┬┤re having our party on the 29th. Teachers need to just not assign homework or schedule any tests or projects due on November 1st. Problems solved :D
    halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  6. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

Halloween is my favorite holiday of the year. It is the one holiday I actually enjoy celebrating. And it's not for "just kids". I know many adults who enjoy it more than kids.

Any other day except the 31st would be a desecration of the holiday. It would be like changing some religious holiday like Christmas to the last Saturday of the month in December instead of the 25th.

I say "NO!!!" to any other day except the 31st of October.
  7. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I like Oct. 31st for Halloween. The parties can take place before or after. I like giving candies to kids on Oct. 31st.
    Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Chele615

Chele615 Let's go Anacode!!!

This year, our students have no school on 11/1 because of voting day in Massachusetts. It is a teacher's professional development day. In Mass, I think some of the towns will have the trick or treating on the actual day and some will pick one of the weekend nights for a specified period of time.

I have a random question and I might sound really stupid......but why do some people write Halloween as "Hallowe'en"? I have only recently started seeing it this way.
  9. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i think it is a witches' mark :scream:

boo!
  10. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

It's a contraction for "Hallow Evening" ... November 1st was once called "Hallows Day," so the evening before is "Hallowe'en." Wikipedia says it's Olde English. In US english, we use "eve" instead of "e'en."

It's called "Mischief Night" or "Hell's Night" in some parts of the US and the delinquents turn into vandals and firebugs (Brilliant :rolleyes:) The NYC Village Halloween Parade is a great public celebration http://www.halloween-nyc.com/

To answer the original question, Halloween should stay on 10/31 every year, imo.
  11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

No.

I've lived in a few cities that have moved trick or treating (you can only trick or treat during approved hours here, but they are always on the 31st), but the holiday has roots other than trick or treating. Moving it would make no sense.

I also wouldn't support Saturday. The best Halloweens were always on Friday when I was a kid.
  12. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

That's the way I learned it in school many years ago- it was even on spelling tests.

I have always spelled it that way. Figurespins is right on the reasons- that's what we were taught.
  13. JoyCo

JoyCo New Member

I lived in a town that moved trick or treating to Saturday during two daylight hours and kept that rule for at least 20 years. It was hard to get into the mood even as a candy giver. The local hospital would x-ray kids' booty, too, in case needles and pins were hidden in the candy.
  14. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Well-Known Member

I'd say move it to January 25th, have everyone dress up in kilts, and hand out Haggis instead of candy.
    cygnus and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

I've heard that Boy Scouts of America started the whole trick or treating thing to give kids something to do on Halloween besides vandalize their towns. I also heard that the whole razor-blades-in-apples thing was an urban legend.

I only hand out candy on the real Halloween. Anyone who comes to my house for candy on any day besides Oct. 31 will get nothing. It's okay to have parties before the actual day, but move trick or treating to another day? That's just wrong.
  16. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I think that is an urban legend. The origins of the custom are very old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween#Trick-or-treating_and_guising
  17. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Well, as a kid in the 1960's/1970's, I remember seeing photos in the newspaper on 11/1 of trick-or-treaters' apples that were found to have needles/pins/razor blades inside them. I do think those were copycats perpetuating the legend. My guess is that someone once got an apple with a hole and made up the oft-told story that there was something dangerous inside and that set off the dumbbells who thought it was funny to try and hurt little kids. Sometimes, urban legends do come to life, but most people just give out candy. Who wants to have the cops come visit because of a bad prank?

There was a radio DJ for either AAHSWorld or Radio Disney who had kids call in to report THE WEIGHT of their goodie haul every Halloween. I had never heard that idea before, it thought it was pretty funny and easy to determine. Cute.
  18. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

we have several kids in my building now and I need to ask the parents if they plan to go trick or treating on the 31st or over the weekend. I want to make stuff, but it'll only happen if they come around on Monday. I hate the idea of moving Hallowe'en to the last weekend in October. It just ain't right! :p
  19. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

I'm the mother of a second grader; we always manage to get our trick or treating and general mayhem finished by 8:00pm so our little goblin can be in bed by 8:30pm. In my area, the grade school teachers don't assign a lot of homework on Halloween.
    genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  20. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

It's the eve of all hallows. As said, that's like moving Christmas to make it more convenient.

Some of the towns around here flat-out restrict trick or treating to between X and Y hours, so it's not usuallly the case the littles will be staying out late anyway.
  21. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Will there be Scotch? I'm all for men in kilts, but Scotch helps. If so I'm for it.
  22. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I think teachers that give students a lot of homework due or a test on Nov 1st are just being downright crabby. You can give the students a break from time to time. Send them off without homework for one day and don't schedule a test on that day. It is simple enough. Having said that, the parents need to make sure to get their kids in at a decent hour on Halloween night.
  23. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

That is what I like too. If it were always Saturday, I would be out and I wouldn't get to see all the costumes.
  24. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I went to Catholic school, so we always had off on November 1 (All Saints Day).
  25. BigB08822

Really? Lucky. I went to Episcopal elementary/middle school and then Catholic High School. It was definitely a celebrated holiday but not one we got off from school for.
  26. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Well-Known Member

Change your last name to Addams, and claim it as a religious holiday!
  27. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

It's a holy day of obligation in the Catholic Church, which means you're required to go to mass. At my schools they always gave us off on those days so we could go to mass with our families. As if. :lol: The only times I went to mass were at school, so they should've just held classes and made us go. :shuffle:
  28. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Then there's no need to ask the parents! :D
  29. BigB08822

Yeah, we had mass AT school! lol