Should GPF be moved to after Worlds?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Dec 28, 2011.

1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

I'm noticing that a lot of the GPF skaters are kinda blowing it or withdrawing from their Nationals. Its pretty unfortunate to see so many top skaters really losing steam after the GP series and final- so many comps in a row really takes a toll. Would it be better to move the final so these skaters can focus on their Nationals and Euros/4CC properly?

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

No. Isn't Worlds more important than the GPF to the ISU and the majority of skaters?

3. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I don't see any skaters dropping out just because the GPF was too taxing.

4. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Oh, I definitely think Worlds is more important. But I don't think later has to = more important. GPF could be a nice relaxing April come-down comp for the Worlds skaters, some to redeem themselves or whatnot. But then there's World Team Trophy too which could complicate things. I dunno, just seems like December turns into burnout month for so many skaters. It's a bummer.

5. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

No, Worlds is the real final - the "peak" toward which all skaters are building over the season. The GPF would be meaningless afterward.

The GPF provides a motivator for serious participation in the fall's GP events, and in that sense it is useful to the ISU. If skaters anticipate making it to the GPF and are concerned about fatigue, they might need to limit themselves to two GP events, and forego Senior B's.

6. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

nope

7. shan

shan Well-Known Member

No.

8. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

No.

9. mineko

mineko New Member

Burn outs/withdrawals do not seem like an issue for North American skaters, whose nationals are set for mid-January (Canadian nationals) and late January (US nationals). So it's all a matter of scheduling - I've noticed that majority of European and Japanese nationals are held during the mid-late December.

Trade-off is that European/Japanese skaters have plenty of time to prepare for European/4CC, whereas North American skaters, especially the US skaters have barely two weeks to prepare for 4CC.

So again, it's all matter of scheduling.

10. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

No

11. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

No, it's good like this, with a first part, a break with Nationals, then Euros, Olys and Worlds.
    Maybe a team competition after Worlds was a good idea.

12. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

No, but perhaps the whole GP / GPF can be moved back a little (by, say, 2 weeks?) so top skaters can have more rest between GPF and their own Nationals?

13. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

If you move it back by 2 weeks, it will be over Christmas. I don't think that would be fair. I don't understand why in Russia plans their nationals over Christmas, although from my own selfish point of view I like it because at least we can watch it. :) Not sure if the skaters like it though! In Japan it is over Christmas too but as far as I know they don't celebrate christmas anyway because they are not Christian country.

Actually, if you want to achieve more time between their nationals and GP events, you would have to either move the nationals to later (which may not be possible because there is some deadline for submitting names for Europeans) or move the whole GP evebnts including the final to earlier, which is also not possible because before GP events are junior GP events. And if you move the JPG events too, the whole season will be longer and the time between seasons shorter. Less time to rest.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  14. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I agree with this. Worlds is the biggest competition of the season, so it should be the final competition. I have seen skaters withdrawing from GPF for either health reasons or a family crisis like in Mao's case. Other than that, I think skaters really want to compete at GPF, and most would welcome more rest before their own nationals. Four CC may be a competition that needs to its schedule though. It's just too close to worlds.

15. fan

fan Well-Known Member

Russian orthodox Christmas is later in the year - they don't have christmas at this time.

16. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

No, in the case that it could be taking place after worlds, then many of the top skaters would end up withdrawing of the event

The GPrix and GPF are the first half of the season to debut programs, get feedback, make adjustments towards the ´real deal´ that is nationals-europeans-4cc-worlds

17. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

No, in the case that it could be taking place after worlds, then many of the top skaters would end up withdrawing of the event

The GPrix and GPF are the first half of the season to debut programs, get feedback, make adjustments towards the ´real deal´ that is nationals-europeans-4cc-worlds

18. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

No but I do think US Nationals should be moved... lol

19. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

No. Remember when the GPF was in February/March and many skaters used to withdraw because it was too close to Worlds/4ccs/Euros. And it made little sense having it then. After Worlds, which is the "climax" of a non-Olympic year it would be silly. That's when they go on tours/take a break etc.

It makes logical sense to have the fall as the GP season, with the GPF as the final event. Then the Nationals in December/January, then the "continental" championships, then Worlds. It's a logical buildup to the biggest competition.

20. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Look closer.

I don't think it's all about scheduling.

If a skater has a reason to show up at nationals (say: the federation won't be too inclined on looking the other way, the athlete has to prove himself/herself, money is at stake), the skater shows up whatever the schedule is.
    Infact, Japanese nationals are always full roster, even though japanese skaters are often in the GPF.

That said: having too many events and too little time to rest and train isn't going to keep skaters healthy, nor is going to improve figure skating as a sport.

ISU should see what their ultimate goal is: whether to have fans entartained pratically all year long, or fewer events and higher skating quality.

21. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

or you could just give examples...:blah:

22. julieann

:rofl:

I don't think so, you name them.

Name the "top skaters" who appear as if they are "losing steam" after the GP series and/or GPF so much that they can't perform at a their Nationals?

I certainly haven't heard that there is some sort of epidemic that would cause they whole fall skating schedule to be changed.

23. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I know only about a few.
    Brezina - performed at nationals but his FS was a mess.
    Top two pairs were off Russian nationals (though it is because of injury).
    Somewhere I read that Morozov recommended Leonova not to do the nationals and rest instead. She did compete though.
    Tuktamysheva mentioned in the interview that it was quite difficult for her, that she felt quite tired. (and finished lower than it was expected.)

I am wondering, as most of them are Russians, could it be that they have far too many tests skates during the season? It must be difficult to stay in the top form all the time.

24. julieann

But none of those examples can be because the GP season was too taxing. K/S and V/T were injured and may have been if it were the summer, it just so happened to be the beginning of December. The other two went to nationals and didn't do as well as they had wished, what ever their excuses were.

I doubt the test skates had anything to do with because it didn't look like most of them did anything 100%.

25. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Carolina Kostner skipped the recent Italian Championships, and she wasn't injured.

26. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

No, because GPF is like the barometer on who will peak at Worlds Champ.
    in a way its a further building block for their performance

27. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I question the importance of the Grand Prix Final to begin with. The Grand Prix events are fine, but IMO the final seems like just another event the top skaters have to contend with.

28. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

See below:

I think she said she needed a break after multiple events in different continents, in order to properly prepare for Europeans and Worlds.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  29. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Oh, come on! Of course the GPF is important!

30. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Exactly! It pre-told Lipinski and Slutskaya becoming threats to the Kween in 1997 and 2000.

Plus it was really the only major senior international event that Cohen won. :p