Shooting at Eaton's Centre Food Court?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Jun 3, 2012.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I watch CTV Toronto news due to my own local news being just nothing but crap anymore and just before they signed off, this news broke. Understandably the details are still coming out, but it sounds like someone opened fire in the Food Court and two people have been shot that are known of.

Bay and Yonge and Yonge and Dundas are blocked off and the police presence is unbelievable right now. I'm watching on CP 24 and...Just unreal!!

2. AragornElessar

CP 24 now reporting six shot and one fatally.

3. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

My in-laws called in a panic to check that no one at our house was at the Eaton Centre. I assured her no one from this house was involved.

Watching the news on CP24 - scary stuff.

4. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:( Horrific.

5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The Eaton Center is my favorite hangout and I am usually wondering there before work on weekends. But because of all the subway troubles of late I decided to stay away this weekend. Thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families.

6. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I just called my dad to see if my uncle's family is OK. Fortunately, they are on holiday in the USA.

I hope all the Ontario fsu'ers and their loved ones are safe.

7. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

For it to happen in such a public place is extra horrific. :eek: :( And I know it can happen anywhere (look at Norway) but its just harder to accept when it's Canada.

RIP to the one dead and thoughts are with the injured. :(

8. AragornElessar

I turned it over to the Stanley Cup Final Game Two at 8pm, so haven't heard anything new since then. Anyone heard anything new?

9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

No, nothing new and the suspect is still at large.

10. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

they still have eaton's in toronto?

11. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

No.:( But the Eaton's Centre name lives on! So sad to hear of something like this. Just goes to show - can happen anywhere these days.

12. Dragonlady

It's been reported that 8 people are involved. One is dead, two are in critical condition.

The Eaton Centre and the whole Yonge/Dundas area has always been the town centre for Toronto. I worked in one of the office towers there for a year and the scene of the shooting was where I excited the subway and entered my building every day.

Witnesses talked about the fear and panic and just getting out the building as fast as possible. People from the businesses said the mall was especially busy when this happened. This will profoundly affect the whole city.

A thirteen year-old boy is said to be one of the two in critical condition.

13. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

:( I have a half brother who lives not far from Maple Leaf Gardens; he doesn't drive, so he walks around that area a lot. I hope he was at home yesterday afternoon!

Thoughts go out to all the victims and their families...

14. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

So sad! I heart Toronto and all of Canada, and hate to read these kinds of stories. My heart goes out to the victims & their families.

15. Dragonlady

The young boy has had his condition upgraded from critical, and all but two of the surviving victims were treated and released. The pregnant woman who was trampled and went into labour did not have her baby, and the shooter is still at large.

The police have asked anyone with video both inside or outside of the Eaton centre to turn it in.

Witnesses said the shooter ran off immediately. He may have just blended in with the escaping crowds. The shootings happened in the north end of the mall which means he could have hopped on the subway before trains started bypassing the Dundas and Queen Street stops, or gone outside and jumped on a streetcar at Yonge and Dundas.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I hope the shooter is apprehended soon.
    My thoughts are with the dead, injured and traumatized.

17. AragornElessar

We were watching the Diamond Jubliee Pagent coverage and after it was over, there were updates on the latest news. There was supposed to be a news conference started at 2pm, but I don't know if that's happened or not.

One scary thing for us Sports fans though...Brett Lawrie, Third Baseman for the Blue Jays was there yesterday. They were showing his Facebook or Twitter, I think Twitter, postings from last night on CBC Newsworld when talking about what the reaction online was. He also talked to the media before this afternoon's game and said at first he and his friend weren't sure they heard what they thought they'd heard, but when they saw the people running up the stairs in terror, they knew then they did indeed hear gunfire and got out of there w/everyone else.

That's *my* area of the city whenever I'm in Toronto. The hotel I stay at is only a block or so from Dundas Square and the Eaton's Centre and...I'm in shock and just so saddened. As Dragonlady said, this is going to really hit the city hard as that's usually "the safe place in the city". If that makes sense at all. :(

18. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

But wasn't it just outside the Eaton Centre on Yonge St. where the teenage girl was shot on Boxing Day just a few years ago?

19. flowerpower

That was seven years ago, on Yonge St. itself. I'm in that area all the time, and I feel very safe (but sure it's the urban core, keeping eyes open is always wise).

20. Dragonlady

It was a couple of blocks north of the Eaton Centre but it was definitely close by. This was commented on yesterday and Jane Kreba, the victim in that shooting, was on everyone's minds yesterday.

At today's news conference they identified the victim and said he had known gang affiliations. They think they know who the shooter is but have not released the name, possibly later today. They are checking on one other person involved is also a gang member but I don't know whether they meant they think the shooter or one of the other victims is a known gang member.

21. AragornElessar

True, but that was a gang shooting and seemed at least to be "understandable" in a way. Not that it didn't hit the city hard, it did, but in a different manner than this. So far, this appears to be random w/no purpose at all. At least there was to the gunman in some twisted sad way, but to everyone else? :(

edited to add...I see Dragonlady posted w/new info before my posting. Thanks for that update!!

I still wouldn't be afraid to go downtown/to the Eaton's Centre, but I also am very aware of my surroundings too. This still hit too close to home so to speak.

I did hear there's to be a vigil at Dundas Square tonight starting at six. I hope that helps in the healing process.

22. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

terrible =( so scary
    I hope that the injured are all ok- hard to come to terms with this all for them I am sure

23. flowerpower

Yonge St. has always been a dividing line between the business core to the west, and a sketchier area to the east. That part of Yonge north of the Eaton Centre has been a seedy stretch for many years, but there has been redevelopment of the Yonge/Dundas corner and shops were also opened on the Eaton Centre exterior (facing Yonge between Dundas and Queen), all good things IMO.

What's also positive from my perspective is that whereas years ago I rarely ventured east of Yonge in the downtown core, now we have fantastic shops and restaurants on King East, and gentrification is spreading north to Adelaide, Richmond's showing signs of transition, etc. There are many new businesses and employers east of Yonge that are attracting a lot of positive foot traffic. Hopefully the businesses on Yonge north of Dundas will eventually improve as well. I think that in general, the area east of Yonge is improving, but yes, there still are many sketchy elements to the east of Yonge and on Yonge itself (as there've been for many years).

The downtown areas of Toronto are very vibrant, there is a lot of new commerce and diversity, the coolest restaurants and shops open in the parts of the city that are in transition (eg. Ossington, Parkdale). But it's definitely important to remain aware of one's surroundings, like in any major city. The important thing, IMO, is for people not be scared away by an unusual occurrence like this. Then the bad guys do win. (And there's no such thing as a perfectly safe place anyway.)

24. Dragonlady

The suspect turned himself in to police and has been arrested. There is a news conference at 2:00 p.m. today. They still haven't announced the name of the suspect.

25. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Except that one of the people who was shot at apparently has gang connections.

26. Dragonlady

The police are now saying that two of the victims had gang connections and were targeted victims - Ahmed Hussain, the man who died, and the unnamed victim who has gunshot wounds to the neck and chest.

The rest of the victims were just random.

27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Latest describes what started as a "turf meeting" - thus perhaps the choice of a public place - that went bad.

I have to wonder about the thinking of the gunman - does he think he's so powerful or was he really so nervous and out of his element that he fired a gun multiple times and apparently without very good aim in a very public place with hundreds of witnesses and security cameras everywhere?

And will this very public incident serve as a warning to other gang members and thus save innocents from their disputes, or will others just tell themselves they aren't that stupid and won't get caught, and carry on as before?

It's all such a waste.

28. Dragonlady

I'm wondering if it might not lead to another police sweep of known gang members. There was one last year I think.

Sadly, Toronto has one of the lowest murder rates in decades last year but something like this will haunt the city for a long, long time, like the Jane Kreba shooting and the Vivi Lemonis shooting at Just Desserts in 1990.

29. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Glad they caught the gunman, and perhaps him turning himself in shows he has at least some intelligence. What on earth possessed him to shoot into a crow of innocent people?!