Shocking/disappointing breakups in FS

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

The most recent splits of ice dance (Crone-Poilier, Samuelson-Bates) and pairs (Dube-Davisson, Yankowkas-Coughlin) teams have been shocking. That started me thinking/wondering of past break ups in FS, and they are not limited to pairs and ice dance.

To me the most shocking one still remains- Michelle Kwan splitting from Frank Caroll just before the 2002 Olympic season.

Another one was Ina-Dungjen splitting after a 4th place finish at the 1998 Olympics.

Chen Lu splitting from her coach of many years after winning a world gold (95) and world silver (96) was also shocking, and it really affected her skating in 1997.

Jamie Silverstein-Justin Pekarek break up was very disappointing to me because I really liked this ice dance team. Later Jamie went to the Olympics with Ryan O'Meara but ended the partnership (retired from skating) after just one year. That was even more disappointing.

I remember being shocked when Mishkutenok-Dmitriev split in 1994 (or was it 1995 after they skated a few pro programs?). Even though Natalia did not want to go to another Olympic, I thought she would at least want to skate professionally with Artur, but I think they split because Artur wanted to continue as eligible and Natalia did not want to anymore.

The most famous has to be Rodnina-Ullanov split after 4 world titles and an OGM, but I was not watching FS then. So it's hard to be shocked or disappointed by it, particularly since Irina won two OGMs with Zaitsev after that.

2. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

The split that "shocked" me at the time was the split of Kristi Yamaguchi and Rudy Galindo as a pair team.
    In hindsight of course, it was a great move for Kristi, as two years later she won the Olympic Gold medal. Rudy had to wait a bit longer for his success, but I was very happy he succeeded to become a National champion and a world bronze medalist..

But at the time I was disappointed..

3. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think this season takes the cake for me for the most shocking splits.

I was a bit disappointed by the breakups of Marcoux/Buntin and Langlois/Archetto for Canada, but they weren't so bad as the ones this season.

Khokhlova/Novitski was very disappointing, but not at all shocking and pretty inevitable considering his injury.

4. mikemba

mikemba Active Member

At the time I was also very disappointed but I wasn't shocked. After 2 consecutive Worlds in which she did well -- but missed the podium -- in both pairs and singles, it looked like if she ever wanted to medal, she'd have to give up one. I think the TV commentators hinted at this prior to the breakup. It made sense to keep singles since the timing was great: the elimination of figures.

Although we spectators didn't know this at the time, Rudy later admitted that he sometimes had shown up for pairs practices after drinking. In that dangerous situation I would have ended the partnership immediately!

Sigh.... What fun they were to watch. It's hard to believe that over 20 years ago they did a side-by-side triple flip-triple toe sequence!

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

How about Kwan and Frank (and even Lori). That one shocked the crap out of me, especially being that it happened going into the Olympic season.

6. Vash01

That was mentioned in the opening post as the most shocking to me.

7. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

For me it was definitely Michelle Kwan splitting from Frank Caroll.

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I amaze myself. I skimmed your post quickly and read every single one except Michelle and Frank. Sorry! Then I agree!

9. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Wasn't she also injured this year ?

10. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Me, too.

11. Vash01

No problem. Happens to most of us at times.

12. casken

casken Well-Known Member

G&P and U&Z splitting and swapping partners.

It was like the stuff of skating fanfics. :drama:

13. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

For me it was when Bourne & Kraatz split just after turing pro.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Vash01

Yes, it was almost a soap opera.

15. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Do Chinese skaters have a choice as to who coaches them?

I think Bourne and Kraatz was the most shocking to me. They were just at the point where they could start making money after a long competitive career, and at that time it was so rare for a North American pair to medal (let alone gold) in ice dance.

I think it had to partly to do with Morozov. Kraatz claimed he still wanted to train seriously and apparently Morozov wasn't that into it. Kraatz said in one inter view something to the effect that 'I don't know what he is doing (meaning Morozov)'. It's interesting that he and Bourne weren't even communicating until after she divorced Morozov.

16. Vash01

Grishchuk & Platov- right after their second OGM when they should have been making lots of money as pros, they split. From what I read, years later they even had some regrets about it (at least Oksana/Pasha did).

17. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

You're kidding! Man, I'd be scared stiff to be hoisted up in the air by a partner who'd just been hitting the sauce. :scream:

18. aliceanne

Also, I think he just wasn't big enough to make it at pairs much longer.

Averbukh dropping Anissina to skate with Lobecheva was also a shock, although it worked out well for Gwendal Peizerat.

19. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I remember her spending far more time hugging Morozov than Kraatz when she found out they won worlds. :lol:

20. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

That's ok; it was shocking enough to bear repeating!

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I still wonder what the real reason for that split was?

Money?

Frank becoming an unbearable bitchy old queen?

22. The Observer

The Observer New Member

From what I remember Michelle and Frank saying in interviews at the time, they didn't have an epic big fight or anything - she got to the point where she wanted to take more control over her own skating and evolve on her own. Supposedly they remain friends.

23. miki88

miki88 New Member

The breakup between Michelle and Carroll really shocked me (perhaps still do). Although I understand the possible reasons for the breakup, I felt the timing was not good at all.

24. Cheylana

The timing was horrendous. When I found out, I said, "it's that dopey hockey player she's dating; he's a bad influence!" :mad: :lol:

25. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Frank had some kind of provision where he got a certain % of all of Michelle's money-- comps, endorsements, tours, anything. Same thing that Fassi had with Dorothy Hammill. I'm not sure how common or unusual that kind of arrangement is. I think the financial side of things impacted Michelle's decision, although the timing of the split was certainly less than ideal.

26. aliceanne

I think they had that financial arrangement for a long time.

I read an interview with Lori Nicholson where she said Michelle was starting to go her own way and wanting to do things outside of skating like going to college, while they were trying to "take her to the next level". It sounds to me like Michelle became an adult and wanted to start making her own decisions and expand her horizons outside of skating, while Frank and Lori were used to having her undivided time and attention. That seems normal to me. The timing may have been a shock, but when you're ready to go, you're ready to go. Maybe the OGM wasn't the be all end all for her any longer.

27. Cheylana

OGM or no, Michelle Kwan was a phenomenal skater and had an amazing skating career, but I still can't help but wonder what might have been had she stayed with Frank through the 2001-02 season. She was probably a triple flip away from Olympic glory; having FC at the boards might have made the difference. Or not. Oh well.

28. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Um...couldn't she decide on that AFTER SLC ? :lol:

MK was the reigning WC, a heavy favorite in 2002 and competing in her home country. I place my bet that winning the gold in SLC was numero uno on her mind.

29. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

IIRC, She had wanted to split with her coach before 97 because it wasn't working out anymore. But the Chinese fed forced her to stay with said coach which is why she was doing so terribly in 97.

30. aliceanne

She did all the right things, skated cleanly and didn't win in Nagano. Maybe she felt she needed to change her image as a non-risk taker.