Shiba Inu: anyone familiar with this breed of dog?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Murdoch, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Murdoch

Murdoch New Member

FH and I are looking to add to our family late fall or next spring with a Shiba Inu puppy. Does anyone have any experience with this breed (first or second hand)?

They are super cute! And they seem to be a mid-size dog... somewhere between his terrier proposal and my labrador proposal:

http://www.calgaryshibas.com/pages/perfect-puppies

It is a breed that seems to work for both of us, but we don't know anyone who has one! An advice/insight appreciated!
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about them, but they are adorable!!!! :D
  3. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

What breeds of dog have you owned before? They aren't for everybody. They can be quite aggressive if not properly socialized and trained. They don't like other animals and are so-so around children. They are hunters and will chase things that run (like kids or cats). They take a firm hand. I'd talk to a lot of breeders about temperment and line up a good obedience trainer.
  4. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Murdoch

Murdoch New Member

We have two solid breeders in mind and an excellent obedience school.

We have had (between us), Labradors, Jack Russells, Beagles and German Shepherds.

I have trained one jack and one lab - both very successfully. We would be looking to show our dog, so training will be forefront for them.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. TygerTyger

TygerTyger New Member

Yes they will :lol:
    Shibas have that Spitz temperament: stubborn, very athletic, and often rather aloof.
  7. shan

shan Well-Known Member

That sounds like some FSUers who shall remain nameless! :scream:
  8. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

:lol:

I think they are very protective and bark a lot.
  9. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

My friend has one. It was a jumper, constantly jumped up on everyone. After a few years, she calmed down and has always been a wonderful family dog. She was just a bit wild with the jumping, being overly excited. It is probable that my friend and her husband didn't know how to train her. But she's much calmer now and is a great pet.
  10. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I've also heard that the Shiba is a very aloof dog. So, don't expect the affection you get from people-oriented dogs such as retrievers or the devotion of dogs such as German Shepherds.
  11. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Ever since the Shiba Inu Puppy-Cam started, a LOT of people are familiar with Shiba-Inus. I'm not a dog person, but the one dog I was ever comfortable around was a Shiba....not too big and scary, not too small and yappy, but a nice intermediate size. They do not tend to be overly affectionate and slobbering all over you, which was also a plus for me.
  12. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

From the Westminster breed info:

"Though small in stature, Shiba Inu are brave and determined dogs. Originally bred to flush birds and small game, and occasionally used to hunt wild boar, they are now kept primarily as pets. However, they have a strong predisposition to escape at any opportunity. They can never be reliably trained to return when called, nor can they ever be trusted off lead. They also tend to be dog aggressive, so care must be taken to protect them and to protect other dogs from them. They are a healthy, intelligent breed, constantly providing challenges to their owners."

Not the traits I would look for in a dog, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be right for you or your lifestyle.