Sherlock Season 3 - PBS broadcast schedule - spoiler-free zone

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Only 3 episodes. I am suffering from withdrawal. I WANT MORE !!!!

dardar1126

Soooooooooooooooo many twists, turns, and red herrings...I loved it! :D I watched it twice, and still want to see it again.

I really believed John's intensely mixed feelings about Sherlock being alive...relief, shock, anger, betrayal; I'm glad they didn't make Sherlock's return easy for him/them.

I loved the game scene between Sherlock and Mycroft where it looked like they were playing chess...and then we realize they're playing OPERATION! :lol:

I wasn't sure how I'd react to Mary...but I think I like her! :)

I liked the survival scenario scene where Sherlock kissed Molly...sexy! ;) And then later when he actually kissed her on the cheek...aaaaaaaw! :swoon: And the reveal of Molly's Sherlock-lite boyfriend was hilarious!! :p

And it was BRILLIANT to cast Benedict's actual parents Wanda Ventham and Timothy Carlton to play Sherlock's parents! :encore:

(I didn't get much sleep...may add more thoughts later....)

EDIT:

I loved the restaurant scene where Sherlock plays the smarmy French waiter...HILARIOUS! :rollin:

Last edited:

ssminnow

Sherlock adjusting his collar, tousling his hair, and kissing Molly was SO HOT. I'm just going to pretend that was real.

And his scene with Molly wishing her happiness was heartbreaking.

Last edited:

Artemis@BC

Soooooooooooooooo many twists, turns, and red herrings...I loved it! :D I watched it twice, and still want to see it again.

I really believed John's intensely mixed feeling about Sherlock being alive...relief, shock, anger, betrayal; I'm glad they didn't make Sherlock's return easy for him/them.

I loved the game scene between Sherlock and Mycroft where it looked like they were playing chess...and then we realize they're playing OPERATION! :lol:

I wasn't sure how I'd react to Mary...but I think I like her! :)

I liked the survival scenario scene where Sherlock kissed Molly...sexy! ;) And then later when he actually kissed her on the cheek...aaaaaaaw! :swoon: And the reveal of Molly's Sherlock-lite boyfriend was hilarious!! :p

And it was BRILLIANT to cast Benedict's actual parents Wanda Ventham and Timothy Carlton to play Sherlock's parents! :encore:

(I didn't get much sleep...may add more thoughts later....)

I loved the restaurant scene where Sherlock plays the smarmy French waiter...HILARIOUS!

ITA with all of this. Except I didn't know that it was Benedict's actual parents -- that's so cool! (Mycroft being tortured in having to take them to Les Mis -- hilarious!)

I'm also really glad they had the multiple versions of how Sherlock faked his death ... but never said which was the actual way. Such a fantastic way to acknowledge the fans. (And the Scottish girl's version that ended with Sherlock and Moriarty kissing ... :rofl:).

And major kudos to the writing & editing of the scene that flashed back and forth between Sherlock & and Mrs Hudson, and John in his (obviously) boring GP job. Especially:

Mrs Hudson: "And what did John say?"
Sherlock: "He said F..."
(quick cut to John): "Cough."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

kittyjake5

Brilliant return of Sherlock. I was on th edge of my seat waiting for the next revelation.
It was intense, witty, and even a little romance (the kiss w/Molly and the the kiss w/ Moriarty on the roof).
I will have to re-watch this episode because there were so many twists and turns I want to
make sure I did not miss anything. I thought that they humanized Sherlock a little in
this episode but will it last.

Artemis@BC

Sherlock adjusting his collar, tousling his hair, and kissing Molly was SO HOT. I'm just going to pretend that was real.

Did you stay tuned for the behind-the-scenes thing that came right after? I loved Louise Brealey talking about shooting that scene, and how "difficult" it was to have to do several takes. :lol:

ssminnow

Did you stay tuned for the behind-the-scenes thing that came right after? I loved Louise Brealey talking about shooting that scene, and how "difficult" it was to have to do several takes. :lol:

My local PBS station didn't show the behind-the-scenes thing :(

dardar1126

For those who may not know, Amanda Abbington (who plays Mary Morstan) is Martin Freeman's real-life partner (together for about 14 yrs, but have never married), and mother of his children**.

P.S. And she plays department head Miss Mardle on Mr. Selfridge.

EDIT:

I bought a digital copy on Amazon.com for $1.99 + tax. :)

Sherlock, Season 3, Ep. 3 "Sherlock Uncovered: The Return"

EDIT2:

**Two children...Joe and Grace.

Last edited:

Artemis@BC

Are you sure? There was quite a bit of a wait: there tons of "next week" previews, ads, and thanks to our sponsors to get through first. But since the program was only 90 minutes and the timeslot was booked for the full 2 hours (on the Seattle broadcast), I waited, just in case ... and was rewarded.

ssminnow

Are you sure? There was quite a bit of a wait: there tons of "next week" previews, ads, and thanks to our sponsors to get through first. But since the program was only 90 minutes and the timeslot was booked for the full 2 hours (on the Seattle broadcast), I waited, just in case ... and was rewarded.

Yeah I left the channel on for 1.5 hours after Sherlock ended and there was nothing except a brief preview of the next episode and an equally brief interview with Benedict Cumberbatch.

Artemis@BC

^ Aw, that's too bad. I'd write an angry email to your PBS if I were you!

It will be on the DVD though if you're planning on getting that. And as dardar said it's available for digital download.

dardar1126

More great moments...

The reveal in Serbia that the man being beaten is Sherlock (!) and one of his guards is Mycroft (!!).

That scene with Watson and Mrs. Hudson where he tells her he's met someone, and she assumes it's a MAN! :lol: Such a witty, bantering exchange that ends with Watson declaring "I'M*NOT*GAY!" :D

The very tense scenes of John trapped in that Guy Fawkes bonfire as Sherlock frantically tries to rescue him. (Nice reference point since they are about to investigate a plan to bomb Parliament...and that's what Fawkes attempted.)

Last edited:

Artemis@BC

The very tense scenes of John trapped in that Guy Fawkes bonfire as Sherlock frantically tries to rescue him. (Nice reference point since they are about to investigate a plan to bomb Parliament...and that's what Fawkes attempted.)

That was well done, and I loved how it brought Mary & Sherlock together. The scheduling of the Guy Fawkes thing struck me as odd, though. I suppose some places might move bonfire night to the weekend closest to Nov 5, but traditionally bonfire night is on Nov 5, weekend on not. So for them to have the bonfire night on Nov 4 instead seemed weird.

(And really, what idiot at Westminster schedules a big, all-night debate for parliament on Nov 5 for hank's sake? :lol:)

When they had the kids doing their "penny for the Guy" thing early in the episode (when John went back to Baker St, before Sherlock's reappearance), I did think at the time that it was foreshadowing. And it's been a long time since I read the Conan Doyle books -- was this one based on one of his stories? (I vaguely remember the first Downey Sherlock movie being about a plot to bomb parliament ...)

ssminnow

dardar1126, can you PM me the Amazon page of the behind the scenes episode? I can't seem to find it...

znachki

On the off-topic section of Planet Gallifrey (the Doctor Who board) the Sherlock discussion took a wild left-hand turn in a discussion of the accuracy - or lack thereof - and then the usual who cares/I care about the schedule and etc, etc, of the Undergound line and the type of train, and how long it took and etc., etc. Totally had me :rofl: at the irony.

Loved John's reaction to the return, loved the scenarios, loved the reveal of Molly's boyfriend and the pause Sherlock made as he put on his scarf. I love that fact that BC's real parents played his on-screen parents. And I like Mary. I just hope she doesn't share the fate of book Mary, but they've changed things up in many areas all along, that it isn't inevitable.

When I first saw the ep, my thought was, fun,lots of fan service, but slightly underwhelmed. But, I also thought that they needed to set up whatever was coming.

In other matters. The only things that seemed to be cut were a couple of words. In one case, in the bomb diffusing scene John calls Sherlock a "cock", and I think he did it in one other instance. So - that's good.

dardar1126

A very thorough recap:

http://www.thirteen.org/program-content/sherlockian-synopsis-season-3-episode-1/

A Sherlockian Synopsis – Sherlock: Season 3, Episode 1 Recap (aired 1/19/2014)

EDIT:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/sherlock-season-3-premiere-10-672349

'Sherlock' Season 3 Premiere: 10 Funniest Quotes
8:45 PM PST 1/19/2014 by Philiana Ng, Aaron Couch

Watson's mustache, Sherlock's parents and a very surprising French accent are among the standouts of the PBS/BBC show's return.

http://ibelieveinmycroft.tumblr.com...cript-from-the-duel-in-deduction-in-the-empty

TRANSCRIPT FROM THE DUEL IN DEDUCTION, IN THE EMPTY HEARSE

Earlier tonight I was asked to transcribe Mycroft and Sherlock’s little duel in deduction over that hat. I have now done so. There’s a lot to be pulled out of this for analysis, but it’s late, so I will give it to you without commentary, for now. It’s not perfect, at all. With my thanks to drinkingcocoa-tpp, theprogressofspring and cakeanddust for the corrections.

Last edited:

dardar1126

The entire Holmes family...Sherlock, Mycroft, and Mum & Dad Holmes:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BeckFttCEAAOZTB.jpg

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

EDIT: Via Twitter...

@TVGuideMagazine: Benedict Cumberbatch on how his parents landed on #Sherlock: "They're trained actors and were available!" #TCA14"

:lol:

EDIT2: More SHERLOCK nepotism...

Producer Sue Vertue is married to Stephen Moffat; her mum Beryl Vertue is also a producer.

Mark Gatiss's husband Ian Hallard played Moriarty's attorney in The Reichenbach Fall (Season 2).

Benedict's girlfriend-at-the-time Olivia Poulet played the administrative assistant in The Blind Banker (Season 1).

Last edited:

znachki

Ok, some people have waaaay too much time on their hands ... :lol:

25 references and in-jokes you might have missed

:lol: at #23

"Magical Genetic Combo". :lol:

When I saw the Ep the first time, I wondered about them, because I knew his parents were actors, so I went to look them up and found out they were his parents. I think it was her eyes.

#10 - I can't believe that none of the recaps I've read, mentioned that. It's like one of the most famous "Holmesisms" ever.

#23 - I know...why not?

dardar1126

"Magical Genetic Combo". :lol:

When I saw the Ep the first time, I wondered about them, because I knew his parents were actors, so I went to look them up and found out they were his parents. I think it was her eyes.

I agree...his facial features really resemble his mum...but he has his dad's facial shape and height.

I find his slighty odd, alien looks VERY appealing...attractive...SEXY! :swoon: Add to that the fabulous voice, intelligence and wit, and I'm a goner!! :drama:

znachki

Posting to bump the thread up, and to say that I got my Series 3 DVD's in the mail last night!!! I think I've watched each episode at least 3 times now. Always something different to discover.

If you aren't taping them as you watch, you might want to reconsider that. Just sayin.

Artemis@BC

Posting to bump the thread up, and to say that I got my Series 3 DVD's in the mail last night!!!

Region 2 I assume? Region 1 doesn't get released til Feb 11. Mine are on order. :cool:

I agree that all the episodes stand up to multiple viewings. I recorded last week's and might re-watch before this Sunday. (Even if only to spot the Tardis. :lol:)

znachki

Region 2 I assume? Region 1 doesn't get released til Feb 11. Mine are on order. :cool:

Yep - Region 2. Had to complete my set correctly doncha know.

I agree that all the episodes stand up to multiple viewings. I recorded last week's and might re-watch before this Sunday. (Even if only to spot the Tardis. :lol:)

I know - right? There are a couple of scenes that on the rewatch, had me sort of reassessing a few things. Can't wait to be able to talk about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information