Shephard Clark on EOE

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by A.H.Black, Feb 18, 2012.

1. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

The last thing She was when he was skating was large and muscly! Tall, yes. As he says in the interview, he's a little over 5'11" which is tall for a singles skater but I think when he was skating he tried to keep his weight in around 140 pounds with something around 4% body fat. (He's always been obsessed with stuff like that.) His difficulty with training was always that he had trouble doing the same choreography every time out. He improvised a lot which played havok with his consistency. But a nicer, friendly guy you could never meet. And a devoted cat lover.

2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

He looks muscley in this pic.

3. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I think it's the angle. :)

4. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Here he is in 1993 in a strong technical performance (not his highest placement in an event though). He was about 22.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ammB0JJj9_I

In the late 90's he started wearing tights, which made him look longer and thinner.

After watching several of his vids I take back what I said about him being a weark jumper. His problem seemed to be more that he ran out of stamina in the long, and started improvising - adding missed jumps, leaving out elements he was too tired to do.

I think that was not unusual in the 90's, when skaters won based on how many triple jumps they completed. Yagudin admitted to skipping footwork in his Olympic long in order to save himself for the jumps. So much for figures and 6.0 system adding to artistry!

5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

It made me feel sad. Google the interviewer's name and you will see all sorts of bizarre inflated and unsupported claims about her credentials, acting "ability", accomplishments, etc. If Shepherd wants to publicize his upcoming show and his activities, great, but he's really hurting his credibility by associating himself with someone as pathetic as this.

6. Morry Stillwell

Morry Stillwell Well-Known Member

Misty, my cat takes exception at any one refusing to recognize her as a person.:)

Shephard has always been an intresting person.. I was Team Leader when Shephard was part of the U.S.Junior Worlds Team in Sarajavo, Yugoslavia. He was a joy to deal with at that time.

BTW, we won the Ladies that year.:kickass:

7. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Every cat I have ever met has considered itself superior to mere humans.

I wish Shepherd Clark all the best, but sometimes when it comes to art more is less. That interview set reminded me of Toller Cranston during one of his periods of wretched excess, and Toller is my favorite skater of all time.

By the way Morry, you must have quite a photo alblum.

8. Morry Stillwell

I do have a lot of pictures, but my organization of those sucks as they are not digita. Pictures that I take next week at a competition in Yucatan, Mexico will be saved on my computer.

9. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Well he's definitely on a different wave length than most of us, but I love his energy and he seems very happy. Nice to see.

10. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

or The Madwoman of Chaillot:eek:

11. lemur

lemur New Member

His smile reminds me of Liberace! Anyone else think so?

12. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yes, there is perhaps some similarity in their smiles, at least visually. :)

:respec: Misty Stillwell

13. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Attn Johnny Weir:
    Please watch this video. It's you, 15 years from now.

14. aftershocks

^^ Hey FunnyBut, you might think that's funny, butt ...

Shepherd and Johnny have different personalities, different lives, different upbringings, vastly different skating careers, different physiques, have made different choices, e.g., I don't think Shepherd has ever been married, and I doubt Johnny ever seriously contemplated suicide, but in fact we do all have challenges to overcome in our lives. Also, Johnny's pets of choice are dogs, not cats. While both Shepherd and Johnny may be gay, love sparkly costumes, and are both very kind, self aware, and inspirational as people, so what? Surely those similarities are not why you say in "15 years" Johnny will be Shepherd in the posted video? Even Shepherd will not be the same as he appears in this video in 15 years.

I don't know if Shepherd and Johnny have ever met, but I'd be surprised if Johnny felt that the way Shepherd appears in this video is something to abhor, detest, be teased about, be afraid of becoming, or see as some kind of threat or downside to his own choices, his own identity or his own life. Right on, Shepherd! Right on, Johnny!

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  15. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

I think all of the quirkiness and eccentricity is fun and cute when you are younger like Johnny - however when you get older - you just turn into that creepy older man - like Shepherd...

16. aftershocks

^^ Really? Ya think? Hmmm, so "when you get older," I guess "you [will] just turn into that creepy older man [or woman]" too, "like Shepherd..."

As if, Shepherd is all that old, in any case. Your comment makes me wonder just how old you are apatinar. Really old I think is when you reach 80s and 90s. If you live that long, I believe (having had wonderful friends in that stage of life -- and also having known one set of my grandparents), you become very wise if you have developed self-awareness and have a sense of humor. Or, quite often older people develop various forms of dementia (one form being Alzheimers), or experience strokes and/ or other illnesses. Everyone who reaches a grand old age, or just even their 50s, 60s and 70s will experience various forms of physical breakdown. As has always been said, the key to good health is eating right, staying active mentally and physically - taking good care of yourself, but also caring about others and giving in whatever way you can. Still, there is no guarantee that one's body or mind will not break down ... well, especially the body will deteriorate, that is a given. Oh the wonders of medical technologies which allow for hip and knee replacements.

BTW, apatinar, just in case you weren't aware, "quirkiness and eccentricity" just as "fun and cute" do not apply strictly to people who are labeled "gay" or "lesbian" or "bisexual" or "transgender" or _____________ (fill in the label).

17. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I miss his style of skating.

18. Morry Stillwell

Shepard never wore a foreign jacket while representing the USA. Johnny went beyond eccentric with that stunt.

19. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

Not really sure what gerontology has to do with the conversation however I am in my 30s and I am a gay male myself....
    It has been mentioned several times in this thread that even though Shepherd is in his early 40s, his appearance and demeanor now looks as if he is someone in his 50s..even being compared to Liberace who was way over his early 40s in his prime... still not "old" by any means but older than twenty something Johnny Weir who wears avant-guarde fashion which is age appropriate and all of the other silly things he does that are indicative of a young person who is experimenting and finding themselves.... there is a reason that you don't see 50 year olds walking down the fashion catwalk.. Quirkiniess and eccentricity definitely are not limited to persons of the LGBT community-just making a comparison between Johnny who is young enough to get away with it and Shephed who now looks like the stereotypical crazy lonely old man with a cat..which is most probably why the earlier poster warned Johnny to take a look at Shepherd- get all of this stuff out of your system now before you get to the point of no return...

20. aftershocks

^^ Ah well, to each their own way of looking at life in three dimensions, apatinar. Good grief re all the inaccurate spellings of Shep's name in this thread ... :lol:

"Shephard" "Shepard" "Shephed" NOT! -- It's "Shepherd" as in "One who guards sheep." ;)

In any case, apatinar, hope you enjoy your 30s while they last.

Morry Stillwell, hello! How is Misty doing? I ask because like Shepherd, I too love cats. :) BTW, did you ever ask Johnny why he wore a "foreign" jacket during practices at the 2006 Olympics? Were you also aware that Toller Cranston once wrote about the fact that Olympic athletes often exchanged uniforms as souvenirs? Johnny's jacket happened to be a gift from Tatiana Totmianina, and yes it probably was ill-advised of Johnny to wear it during practices, despite the "quirky" innocence involved (some might and probably do characterize his youthful "innocence" otherwise, I'm sure).

I think Johnny has moved on in his life quite a bit, and how refreshing to see how he has grown ... he's even happily married to a very handsome and seemingly very kind Russian gentleman. I wish them both well.

And I wish Shepherd well too. Thanks also to Shepherd for all his contributions to skating, to animals and to helping others in need.

21. Morry Stillwell

22. aftershocks

Awww, Hi back to you, Misty! My cat Safira sends her meows too ********!#&! Safira is gray and white, Misty. May I ask your color(s)?

Perhaps you and Morry will enjoy reading about another gray and white cat whose name also happens to be Misty. Apparently, your namesake is quite advanced technologically. She is a secret agent cat who works for the government, according to her human friend/ companion:

http://cats.about.com/library/guest/ucfeature8a.htm

Best wishes, Misty and Morry :)

23. Morry Stillwell

Great article.:) Back to Shepherd - I have known Shepherd since 1992 when I was team leader for Junior Worlds in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia. Shepherd was unique even then. You had to love his positive attitude. The exchanges between Shepherd and his coach, the great Carlo Fassi, at that competition, were awsome. BTW we won the Ladies with the help of Surya Bonaly.

24. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member