Shephard Clark on EOE

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by A.H.Black, Feb 18, 2012.

1. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I ran across this video interview of Shephard Clark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qr-3wmMhQI For me it was pretty wild, but I know there are still a lot of Shephard Clark fans out there that will love it.

2. Civic

Civic New Member

I can't open the link. Is he working for the Equal Opportunity Employment agency?

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

it's something called eye on entertainment hosted by a someone who looks to hulk hogan's ex wife as a style icon

shepherd has a very nice white pussy

he's an interesting guy, his eyebrows look like he uses crayons to draw them in

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  4. livetoskate

livetoskate Member

Ugh, that was weird and so pretentious. Shep looks like he's pushing 50, and the woman seems to have had so many face lifts & Botox injections that she can't move her mouth to talk anymore. I remember seeing him perform at my local rink when he was about 13 years old. What did he say about his skating career ... that he beat out 4 people who went on to become Olympic gold medalists? That he did quad loops? It was so annoying that I stopped watching it before the half-way mark.

5. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was weird. I remember Shep as being hot looking back in the day, he looks awfully doughy here, and the eyebrows? Why is he being interviewed?

He had a nice lyrical quality as a skater, and nice long lines, but he wasn't a consistent jumper, he had those low tight spinny kind of jumps. Funny that he should brag about his jumping ability, he certainly wasn't noted for it when he competed at senior nationals.

I remember Dick Button laying him out at one nationals (Clark was a perennial top10 finisher, but never medalist). Button said he should either make some serious changes to his training or give up competing. Clark did eventually move to Boston, but it was very late in his career. He competed at nationals until he was 28.

6. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. Shepherd said that people often spell his name wrong... and he's right :lol:

Wow, his eyebrows are fascinating. I actually think his eyebrows are the strangest thing about the video (other than the host ;)). Otherwise, I think Shepherd's passion and enthusiasm about his projects and about helping people and stray cats is quite exemplary. At least he's doing something with his life beyond being greedy and materialistic. He seems to have a strong faith and optimism after coming back from wanting to commit suicide. More power to Shepherd. I fondly remember enjoying watching his skating.

Shepherd's references to records he set during his skating career is also very interesting. I think Shepherd's record of sectionals wins and consecutive Nationals appearances speaks for itself. What about his references to difficult jump combinations? Is a 3-axel, 3-loop something that is still considered impossible, and is he the only person or one of a few to ever complete this combination cleanly?

I wish Shepherd lots of good luck with his many projects, and with trying to incorporate figure skating with his ambitious endeavors. :)

7. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I think Russia's Alexander Abt and Canada's Jayson Dénommée attempted the 3A/3R once or twice. Not sure if they were ratified though.

8. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Well, he didn't used to look like that when he was a teen to twenty something skater. I listened to the whole recording here, and I'm still not sure what he does.

9. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

That is something Mrs Slocombe from "Are you being served" would say. :lol:

Hmmm I really couldn't watch it, which I started to because of the eyebrow comments, but she was just "Huh?".

lemur and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

He was a jewelry designer, last I heard. I tried to look him up, but his Wiki entry (which sounds very much like he wrote it himself :shuffle:) doesn't say.

I also found this extremely odd piece: http://www.inmag.com/profiles/shepherd-clark.html

Er, what?

I kinda miss Shepherd at Nationals; there was always such suspense with him. Would he show up? Would he have trained? Would he have a program or would he just go out there and kind of wing it? Would he skate to the 1812 Overture again?

Wheee! You never knew what you would get with him.

ETA: Ah, here is a fairly recent article about Sir Shepherd the jewelry designer, so I guess that is still what he does: http://www.prlog.org/11753430-sir-s...gh-tea-by-the-sea-at-the-chateau-del-mar.html I guess this is his website? http://shop.houseofshow.com/main.sc

11. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I like how they call him "former figure skating champion" when his highest finish at Nat's was fourth. As for his skating, I liked the fact that he did a layback spin.

12. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Active Member

:rollin:

Shepherd has always been like an eccentric gay character from a Dickens novel set in the 19th century. Still will never forget being at 2000 Nationals, where rumor had it that was inviting other male skaters up to his room to see jewel collection and one skater brought his mother up with him. :rofl: (Hey, she wanted to see the diamonds. ;)) .... Oh and then the teary-eyed w/d mid-SP, cringing in pain, to a standing ovation as he took a lap around the rink waving to the crowd while crying. :encore: :p

He actually was a very talented skater.

13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Time was, without Shepherd, there would have been very little representation from the South at Nationals!

14. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I couldn't bring myself to watch the entire video. (I hate it when people act like their pets are miniature people -- I think it's disrespectful.)

But I don't have any problem with Clark calling himself a champion figure skater. He made it to Nationals for many years and even won the pewter medal and he's one other competitions. He was an elite figure skater and that's what "champion" means to most people not involved in the sport.

15. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

He was very talented, and I would pay good $$ for a clean copy of that last SP. It was epic.

16. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Clark was US junior champion, so I assume that's what he means if he referred to himself as a US champion. He also won a couple of senior B events and plenty of regional and sectional titles over the years.

17. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I actually really enjoyed this interview. He seems very excited about his art, skating and jewelry, it's nice to see such passion. Sure he's unique but in the art world he's very normal. He's just proud of himself and should be, it's extremely hard to get a pewter medal.

18. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

He's turned into Norma Desmond.

19. aftershocks

I was in the audience and remember the performance. Does anyone have a vid clip available?

20. aliceanne

I don't have a problem with him being proud of his skating, and I knew that he was into jewelry design, but I find this interview disturbing. His appearance, treating his cat like a person, the random interview topics, the set, the bizarre looking interviewer - it's as if he's sunk to doing anything for attention. This isn't arty, it's just weird.

21. mikemba

mikemba Active Member

I remember that, and found it a very inapproprate thing for Dick Button to say. Shepherd seemed to skate for the sheer joy of it, and also seemed to take great pleasure in the audience's enjoyment of his skating. I was one of the many people who thoroughly enjoyed seeing Shepherd skate. He got some huge ovations over the years.

It seems that Dick didn't realize that Shepherd should skate for his own reasons, not to do what would make Dick Button happy.

22. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

^ I remember that, too, but Uncle Dick has said things like that about many skaters. He always seemed to take it a bit personally if a skater didn't measure up in his opinion.

23. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Active Member

^ I can't recall exactly what Dick said either, but he only said things like that if you had potential and talent. Shep had both in spades but things came easy to him and he preferred the performance aspect of skating, couldn't focus and train with the consistency needed to be a champion. Shep frustrated Dick and quite frankly, me too... :slinkaway.

massive triple axel with classic Shep flourish
    http://youtu.be/J8tKS72xIaU?t=56s

quintessential Shep!
    http://youtu.be/pG0yNIsFBoE?t=8m17s
    (Watch the whole thing http://youtu.be/pG0yNIsFBoE?t=4m13s for a performance that starts with two ginormous triple axels, a 3lutz3loop and and power, speed and brilliant stretched positions from beginning to end.)

Much like Rohene Ward, I feel the same about Shep: wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed of a great champion, but feel privileged to have seen him skate.

24. aftershocks

I disagree with how you perceive Shepherd based on this interview. I don't think Shepherd was treating his cat like a person simply because the cat wore a jeweled collar, and was spoken to by Shepherd and the host. Frankly, Purrl is quite lucky to have found a home with someone like Shepherd to love and care for her. Shepherd indicated that he finds homes for other abandoned cats, and that's wonderful. If there were more caring people like Shepherd in this world, it might be a better place. Eccentric, passionate, or whatever, I'm glad to see that Shepherd did not go the route of suicide, but found a reason to continue living, and is busy pursuing creative and business-related goals, helping other people, rescuing animals in need, and not simply navel-gazing, web-surfing, or hoarding his wealth. Everyone who lives long enough will one day reach 50 and beyond. It's inevitable, so be prepared to live through it, endure it, survive what that stage of life might hold.

snoopysnake and (deleted member) like this.
  25. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Gosh, I would love to have Shepherd's talent as a painter. His work certainly has a Toller Cranston flair to it.

The first time I saw him skate live was at the 1988 World Junior Championships in Brisbane where he won the short. He really was the class of the field that day.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  26. aliceanne

I think that Button felt Clark was spinning his wheels, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  27. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

aliceanne, that's how I interpreted his comments, also.

28. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I couldn't even focus on what Shep was saying. The woman conducting the interview had so much plastic surgery I had to :yikes: and :scream: about 5 mins into this.

29. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I found the interviewer's appearance and voice extremely distracting and unprofessional (she looks like a hooker or a Vegas stripper to me). Other than having gained some weight, though, that's pretty much the Shep I know - verbose, grandiose and full of enthusiasm for his projects. Any conversation with him is verbal roller-coaster and I generally end up more confused than enlightened. But I know he's been working on this show concept for many years so it's nice to see that it's getting off the ground at last. I wish him the best of luck and I'm happy that he seems to have found his niche.

30. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

That's how I looked at it as well.
    I actually kind of enjoyed Clark's skating. But he always looked, at least on camera, rather large and muscley for a singles skater, even bigger than Boitano.