Shawn Sawyer Calls It A Career

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by AragornElessar, Apr 1, 2011.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. a56

a56 New Member

I'm not surprised. I'm a little sad, but at the same time, I'm happy for him because he seems so excited about starting his career in shows and exhibitions. Best of luck to him. :)

3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed :fragile: I was hoping I'd see his LP at Worlds. :( My best wishes to Shawn!

4. floskate

floskate Vacant

I called this the other day when talking with a friend after I heard he had chosen CSOI over Worlds. His skates at Nationals were the best of his career. I wish him the best of luck in his professional career. He deserves a great one!! :cheer:

5. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

With so few professional skating gigs these days, I'm thrilled that Shawn has such a wonderful opportunity with CSOI. This was indeed a bonus season, for him and his fans, and I'm grateful for having been able to enjoy both his tango short and his singular Mad Hatter free skate. But this guy was born to perform, so I feel like his best may be yet to come. :)

6. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

...and Samson has an injury so that means Lacoste and Reynolds are stepping onto the world team. I hope they'll both be ready!

I guess for Shawn he has to look at the big picture. If he turns down CSOI to compete at worlds he might not get another shot. He absolutely cannot miss the chance to jump start his pro career so I completely get it and wish him well.

7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I'm so glad I got to see Shawn's SP live twice this sesason, and his Mad Hatter LP once (I'm still bittah that I was on a ferry home during the Canadian Men's LP :fragile: ).

I'm sad Shawn isn't going to be at Worlds, but :cheer2: that he's going out on his own terms, and that he is able to get a nice show career out of it. He truly is an artist on the ice.

May he never have to attempt a 3A again :cheer2:

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Going out on a high note was the best possible thing for Shawn - personally, for his fans, and definitely for his career. Hopefully we may look forward to many, many more years of seeing him skate.

9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

We'll always have "Warsaw Concerto"...good luck to Shawn, one of the most interesting skaters to come out of Canada.

10. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

At least he gets to make a choice between 2 good things - Worlds and a pro job. Well done!

11. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

As long as he's still going to skate in shows, etc. I'm happy!

12. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Best Wishes to Shawn - thank you for brightening our lives for so many years in the competitive arena. Long live your professional career, be it performance, choreography, coaching, painting, or whatever you may choose.

13. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

...and, Shawn, please always remember: in the pros there are few clothing restrictions!
    So, um, feel free to innovate as you wish :cool:

14. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

Just do the Mad Hatter frequently and many of us will be happy. Also Mozart and any other program you love. It will be WONDEFUL to be able to see your performances for years to come. I hope you get to do SOI in the US too.

15. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This!

16. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

i wish PJ had not said 'walks away' i feel like shawn gave his carreer his ALL and is nbot walking away from anything he is retiring after a long and sucesful carreer and season!
    good for him and I think he was made to shows- cant wait to see waht he does next- seeing his LP at canadians this year was a highlight for me!! great job shawn!!!

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

CBC Sports may have written that headline. PJ Kwong didn't use "walk away" in her actual blog article.

I have fond memories of watching a young Shawn compete at the 2002 JGP in Montreal. I wish him all the best in his performing career!

18. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

Best wishes to Shawn. He was probably the most successful singles skater to come out of NB (Eric Gillies being the most successful overall).

Random genealogical factoid - I wondered how a Francophone like Shawn had an English last name - figured his family has assimilated eons go, but found that Sawyer can be a dit name for Jaillet...

19. feetwerk

feetwerk New Member

I'll miss seeing him. May he enjoy a long and prosperous pro career.

20. eusebius

eusebius Active Member

Lots of Francophones both in Quebec and NB have English names, though it's perhaps less common to have both an English first and last name as Shawn does. Like a lot of Edmundstonians he is fluent in English as well, IIRC.

Wishing Shawn the very best for his professional career!

21. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

I first saw Shawn when he participated in Toller Cranston's farewell show at Varsity Arena in Toronto. He was the young man to whom the various skaters demonstrated their special skill. During the show he sat on a chair at the side of the ice just a couple of rows in front of where I was sitting. Because of the way the show was edited (at Toller's direction I heard), much of the on-ice interaction and performances didn't make it to TV. That's unfortunate because it was a very special show.

A few years later I was pleased to meet Shawn when he came to train at the Minto Skating Club and enjoyed watching him interact with skaters such as Brian Orser & Lynn Nightingale. He was invited by Brian to participate in a number of shows at quite a young age and I believe that helped him develop into the performer we've all enjoyed.

Best of luck to him as he goes on to new challenges!

22. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Why couldn't Shawn have competed at Worlds and then joined the CSOI tour? :confused:

:wuzrobbed

:(

Vash01, RunnersHigh, Rex and 5 others like this.
  23. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Good for Shawn...I hope he has a long and happy professional career!

24. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I am so grateful to have seen him skate at Nationals this year - particularly his glorious Freeskate! Best of luck Shawn!!!

25. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

It would have been nice if he'd skated at Worlds again, but at the same time it would be really hard to replicate the kind of performance he gave at Canadian Nationals. I'll miss his Mad Hatter program...In the meantime, here's young Shawn in Toller's farewell show

26. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Yes, that was the 12 year old Shawn, already showing that flexibility and personna. It was a great show, seen live. The TV version, as I said earlier, was not as great as there was too much backstage stuff.

27. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Gee, I would love for Shawn to participate in the US SOI tour!

28. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

Worlds and CSOI are taking place at the same time.

29. PUNKPRINCESS

PUNKPRINCESS New Member

Wishing Shawn well.

30. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Sorry, I meant to say, "Why couldn't Shawn have competed at Worlds and then joined the CSOI tour?"

:p