Shae Lynn Bourne as a choroegrapher

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Blair, May 16, 2011.

1. Blair

Blair New Member

I was just thinking about some of the great programs Shae has choreographed the last couple of years. I thought it might be a fun off season retrospective to back look at her work. I simply love the orignal steps and musicality to her numbers.

Jeremy Abott's A Day in the Life
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W3RQ--TZwA&feature=related
    Kevin Reynold's jazz short
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR_VVZji2Fo
    and Joannie's stunning tango short from the Olympics
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQYoyKBR9bM&feature=related

Can anyone help me comile a list of some of the more memorable pieces she's done since she began choreographing for elite skaters? Has Shae done any high profile long programs?

2. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

3. midori

midori Well-Known Member

Akiko Suzuki's West Side Story (2009-2010, FS)

Not competitive but Joannie's Burlesque program this year is fab.
    So was Shizuka's It's a beautiful day.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

Didn't she also choreography W&P POTO FD last year? One of my favorites.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I would like to see Shae Choreograph Miki Ando's programs!:D Awkward.

6. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

:lol::lol:

I didn't know she did Dai's short last season!!! I hope more skaters go to her. I like that her style has more attack and energy and is not so pwetty pwincessy.

I'd like to see her and David Wilson replace Lori, who has been really :blah: the last ten years, as the top Canadian choreographers.

ETA: Anyone think Shae would be good for Rachael Flatt? She improved Kevin Reynolds about as much as was possible (considering she's not licensed to cut hair). Maybe she could get Rachael to move with some speed and flair since she has similar problems to Kevin IMO.

7. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

She did Kiira Korpi's Somewhere Over the Rainbow SP this past season, and I think Kiira will work with Shae on her 2011-12 LP.

8. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Love that program.

9. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Yes, she will!

10. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Shae is an excellent choreographer. What she did for Kevin Reynolds was nothing short of amazing. She has a knack of bringing out the musciality of each skater.

Much as I love David Wilson (and I think he is tops) there is a certain sameness to his work. Or perhaps it is just that I have seen so many of his pieces. Shae's work is always a surprise.

11. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

Whatever happened to Yuna's SP (that was one of the causes of the Yuna-Brian drama) that Shae Lynn choreographed?

12. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

IIRC, Yuna was planning on skating a flamenco SP to be choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne, but then I guess she changed her mind and did Giselle with choreo by David Wilson instead, don't know why she switched though.

13. SkateSkates

SkateSkates Member

I would like her to branch out and do that Flamenco program. Now that would be interesting!

14. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was a good one ... shades of Desi Arnaz. I found it interesting how many Spanish-themed programs (which of course are not that unusual in skating-- RyanB had a great mambo program in 2007) seemed to spring up among the men, after David Wilson's choreo for Johnny Weir's 2009-2010 sp to slow then fast Spanish-themed music.

Shae Lynn Bourne is fast becoming a great choreographer. Maybe Lori Nichol peaked in her work with the Kween, because a lot of Lori's choreo in recent years seems kind of generic (e.g., some of the stuff she's done for Evan), not outstanding.

15. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

From all those programs that have been listed, I agree that she has done some fabulous choreography for those skaters. They have all been very different but suited each skater she has worked with. That is the sign of a good choreographer.

16. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

I think it's worth a try. I like Shae's work both as a solo skater and as choreographer, so her working with Flatt sounds good.

17. emilieh

emilieh Active Member

I love most of Bourne's work as a choreographer, and I think she's improved quite a bit in the last couple of seasons. For the first few years that she was choreographing Rochette especially, I felt like she was always giving Rochette a program that she (meaning Bourne) would have skated, not necessarily something that really suited Rochette. But in the last couple of seasons, I think she's shown a lot of versatility in choreographing different kinds of programs to suit a wide variety of skaters. I do wish she'd get some new CDs, though. I feel like she almost always picks a "skating standard," and I think she could create even better programs by choosing music that is less familiar. I think that less familiar music with great choreography can make a bigger impact on an audience, because they have less of an expectation and aren't comparing it to what they've seen before.

That being said, Abbott's "Day in the Life" is one of the best men's competitive programs ever, in my opinion, even though the music was something that I had associated before with someone else. I thought the program was so spectacular and the way that Abbott skated it was so compelling that it drew me completely into the moment.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Something that is not often discussed is how hard it is for a choreographer to run out of ideas, inspiration and to sell out to popular opinion. When Lori started with Michelle, no one knew of her. All of a sudden though, everyone wanted Lori. Its like a fashion house. Every designer has their knack. Dianne VonFurstenburg’s garmets LOOK like her work. Alexander McQueen… same thing. I say that to say, Shae Lynn is just incredible on her own. What other ice dancer is so incredible that they can do solo routines, and have amazing careers as a solo skater? NO JUMPS!!! With that, since she is untapped, I believe that what we are seeing is a freshness in her work.

A name that comes to mind as it pertains to falling off is Sandra Bezic. I remember when pro competitions were still amazingly competitive in the 90’s. Brian Boitano and Kristi Yamaguchi both used Sandra a lot. Well, over time, her work grew a little stale and Lori was introduced into the market. Sarah Karahawara and Lee Anne Miller come to mind as well. Very good but very past! I hope though that without having as much work, Lori can re invent herself and remain relevant. The only choreographer that has remained relevant over the years though I think that her reign is coming to an end is Tarasova. Other than that, its tough to be that creative when you work with the top 10 skaters every year on the circuit when you look internationally as well as in the US and Canada. Lori probably needs a break. I am actually shocked that Igor and Marina can be as creative as they are with their dancers.

On a last note, I do wish for a resurgence of Sarah Karahawra or another more avant-garde/original/non conventional choreographer. The work she did with Michelle on her Scherazade number that Michelle revealed at the goodwill games before she watered it down completely was really stunning. The steps at the end; the way they were placed and their complexity was nice.

19. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I think it is really important for a skater to have input to their music because music has to come from the heart. The one thing that seems to have come across with Shae-Lynn's choreography is she has worked to the skater's strengths and their own musical sensibilities. So it becomes believable for that skater who in turn can bring the best out in their music. I think to a certain degree Shae-Lynn has really been fortunate to work with great skaters who have that ability.

20. BBI*CEO

BBI*CEO New Member

ITA Aussie Willy! Well Said! I also agree that choosing relatively unknown music instead of standards does make a greater impact when paired with phenomenal, unforgettable choreo. That's how good music can get known in the first place! Shae's career is growing of its own accord and people are beginning to watch and take notice. She'll be ready for it.

21. discoduck

discoduck Bringing Albinoni Back

Didn't she do Pang and Tong's long program that won them the silver medal in Vancouver? I might be wrong about that but I think I remember hearing that at the time.

22. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I thought Davd Wilson made this LP for P-T

23. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Shae was credited with Camerlengo for W/P's programs last year, but I can't find a breakdown . Did she do the short ,he the long ? or vice versa ? Or did both create parts of each ? Anyone know ?

24. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Deleted...

Last edited: May 29, 2011