Sexual abuse by skating coach on CNN News

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by muffinbiscuit, Sep 26, 2013.

1. muffinbiscuit

muffinbiscuit Member

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I believe this the first time the alleged victim has come forward publicly? The accused coach is Genrikh Sretenski (there have been past threads here about his case).

3. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

I wish CNN would title the story differently. Not quite accurate in terms of describing the skater as "Olympic" level. :-(

4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

CNN likes to sensationalize everything.

(I am being nitpicky) When I saw the title of this thread, I thought CCN was perhaps a Canadian network. The link was for CNN, which I am very familiar with. May be the admins could correct the title? (I know the poster cannot).

5. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

This is very sad. I do worry it is more widespread than noted, because if the coach is successful it is scary to speak out. I feel horribly for this girl having to go through this.

But media: not every skater is Olympic! Was she a senior dancer? I didn't know her name, and she didn't have a wikipedia page, though her name appeared in an ISU bio as 'former partner'

6. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Morgan competed at 2011 Nats in Novice Dance with Luke Skala. I think a few years earlier, she competed at Junior Nats in Intermediate with Ross Gudis.

7. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

They described her as being "well on her way to competing for the U.S. at the highest levels" which is kind of vague, and could mean competing internationally at the Junior/Senior level at all, like a JGP (since those are the "highest levels"). She and her partner were 8th in Novice Dance at 2011 Nationals.

It's very brave of her to come forward.

8. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Oh brother....right in time for the Olympics season. Very sad. I thought that this story was over six months ago.

9. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Well, the civil suit is ongoing, so it's not exactly like this is old news. And, as far as it being in time for the Olympics, I would think that from the victim's standpoint, that it's a good time to get her message out that there are predators out there in the sport. Like it or not, that is the reality. All news surrounding the Olympics and figure skating can't always be all sparkly and pretty.

O-

10. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

So sorry that sexual abuse allegations are not resolved within a time frame that you approve of. You are just, indescribable. And not in a nice Las Vegas way.

11. kegra

kegra New Member

I believe in 2011 when this happened Morgan and Luke had progressed to one of the top three novice teams making the possibility of a JGP place pretty likely. Sad they never got the chance.

12. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I thought that Sretenski was sentenced in Lake Placid last January, fine paid and sent to some sort of house arrest back in Maryland. I don't understand your rudeness. Many of us work away from our homes and are not aware of every bit of local news. Kasey, I hope that you show a tad more tolerance with your family and coworkers than you do with FSUers.

13. k6267

k6267 New Member

14. kegra

kegra New Member

Correct. The 2011 nationals was their first year competing as a team and had them in 7th. The Lake placid ice championship that year was in 2010. The problem started the next year at the 2011 lake placid competition which would have been the 2012 nationals. That was the year they had a shot at the podium

15. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Actually, they partnered in the summer of 2009. They just missed (5th at Sectionals, I think) making 2010 Nats. 2011 Nats was their second full season together. So their total partnership duration was about 2 years.