Sex and the City 2: Is the buzz as dead as the Cosmopolitan?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Beefcake, May 28, 2010.

1. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:drama: Has FSU lost its gay! This movie has opened, inescapable promos surround us all ... and yet there is no SATC2 thread? At FSU? :lol:

Well, reviewers and bloggers are apparently tossing their metaphoric rotten fruit at this flick. True, the previews were eye-rolling ... what with the 2.5 hours running time, the discovery of Aiden thousands of miles away from Manhattan, the "girls" apparently with the same ol' problems, and of course the obviously ploying decision to create buzz/controversy by filming half of the movie in the Middle East.

But I say "so what?" :p The SATC1 was a piece of perfluffle that I barely remember past Charlotte's explosive diarrhea, Carrie's hideous wedding dress, and Gilles' schlong. And I still loved going to see it. Looking forward to enjoying this one too, alongside all the girls, gays, and random husbands/ boyfriends who were dragged from their hammocks with threats or promises of :grope:.

This one's got a Big Gay Wedding featuring LiZa singing "All the Single Ladies" ... that alone will make it memorable and quotable (if not good).

[Straight] male reviewers really hate SATC, don't they?

2. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Saw it last night. As with the first one, there was some genuine funny, but also some aspects that were just trying way too hard. I think fans of the show will enjoy just because. Others probably needn't bother, since much of the humor relies on the viewer "knowing" the characters.

3. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I think you would have to be a serious, serious SATC fan to have survived the hype and commercials for the last billion days.

I only know of one person going to see it and she happens to be my airhead niece. I love my niece, but she is really an airhead.

4. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Bueller?
    Bueller?
    Bueller?

5. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Saw the first movie because I liked most of the HBO series. Really disliked the movie....writers, cast totally sold out for quick bucks, IMO, and they made them. This looks worse. Going, for many, is probably a "ritual" for some friends to get together and try to relive old times.

6. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Same here. I enjoyed the TV series (wasn't a huge fan, but enjoyed it, especially the early seasons), but I thought the first movie was horrendous. It felt like six hours of listening to someone whine. If this one is worse, then :yikes:. Also, at least according to RottenTomatoes.com, plenty of female critics didn't like SATC2 either.

7. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I am absolutely friggin' thrilled that SATC is finally in theatres -- not because I liked the show or saw the first movie, but because it means that it will only be a short time before we will be spared from seeing those goddamn promos on every commercial break on every damn channel on TV (not to mention banner ads and popups on countless websites. For the past month, there's been no escaping them except to pick up a good book (provided it wasn't written by Candace Bushnell).

PDilemma and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it yet, but it seems to be more about product placement than anything else. And the highlight of the film seems to be Liza singing "Single Ladies". And if that is the best part of the film, have mercy on them all....

9. Southpaw

Holy crap, I've been saying the same exact thing!

Maybe you and I can be part of an Eff SU foursome? We just need two more.

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

:rofl: We are not alone!! :cheer2: Sign me up!!

WRT to SATC, I have a strong hunch that Numbers123 will gladly sign on

11. Southpaw

Maybe PRlady can be our Samantha?

12. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

I hate all things SATC but I am always thrilled when Liza with a Z gets work

13. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I've read a number of reviews and the general consensus is that this is a complete insult to the original TV show, the original characters, the middle east, women, and just people in general...

I won't be seeing it :lol:

14. Southpaw

You want in?

15. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

Can I make fun of SJP? She looks like a foot with 2 eyes drawn on it. And her hands are made of older parchment than the Declaration of Independence.

ooh Liza is going to be on with that shrew Joy Behar (she has a show, really?)

16. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I want to see it because those girls feel like old girlfriends I haven't seen in a while. It was so nice to see the first movie that I didn't care if it sucked. This one I am not running to because it hasn't been very long since I last got to "see" them all. I might even wait until it comes out on video.

17. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

You bet. I would be on that Tamale Train before it left the station

18. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

You have drank the SATC Kool-Aid....

19. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Saw it yesterday. As bad as the first. A few funny moments, a few boring moments, a couple really embarrassing moments. SJP looked bad. Not as bad as the first, but still.

Will probably buy the DVD when it comes out.

20. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I didn't mind the first movie so much, but the series rocked, and nothing can change that.

21. Southpaw

OK Rexy baby, or anyone else who is a fan. Can you please explain to me why Carrie Bradshaw is a likeable character?

22. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Honey, I drank that kool aid years ago, when it was a series! I got into it as the final season began, watched every single one and finished the season finale with everyone else. I own the entire series, the only show I own every season of!

23. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Saw it yesterday........I thought it was hilarious and enjoyed all the characters except Carrie. She's such a shallow bitch :p(and I watched the whole series) Loved Samantha..........if she wasn't in the movies I wouldn't enjoy them.

24. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

I saw it on midnight on Thursday morning with some girlfriends (as everyone else did), and while I enjoyed it for what it was, I actually found it a tad offensive. I'm an anthro major who just took a Middle Eastern Cultures class so it was fresh in my mind. My best friend who is a gay man (and LOVES Sex and the City) said he thought the over-the-topness of Stanford and Anthony's wedding was too much. I don't know. It wasn't even all that which bothered me the most, it was just that the writing was so bad. :lol: I mean, it was fun to escape into this fantasy world where everyone has a different Prada, Chanel and Marc Jacobs outfit for every day of the month, but when it was over, I had the same feeling as if I had just eaten an entire bag of skittles. It was just TOO much.

Carrie is a bitch, but I think that's why everyone loves her. She's whiny and has to constantly be assured she's in love. I started watching SATC when I was 15 when it came on TBS edited. :shuffle: I finally bought the entire series last year and, wow, man it was edited! :lol:

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I will see it as a girls night out, skategods help me. I hope we have time for drinks before showtime. :summer:

I heard such bad things about it though, it might take a couple of drinks to enable me to sit through it.

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Are any of them likeable? Carrie's a whiny, insecure bitch, Miranda's a cranky, selfish bitch, Samantha's a self-important, egotistical, sex-crazed bitch, and Charlotte's an emotional trainwreck of a bitch.

Honestly, the characters from Seinfeld were positively adorable compared to these four idiots.

ETA: I suppose, though, given Carrie's equine face and parakeet-claw hands, it's no wonder she's insecure.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  27. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Will you marry me? :swoon:

I hate that effing show and all the hype around any version of it. I watched 15 minutes of one TV episode and turned it off, because I wouldn't spend 15 minutes with those airheads in real life and certainly wasn't going to waste any more of my life on them. I hate that somehow the SATC women have become emblematic of how women "really are" (gag me), and that somehow women's lives are now incomplete if they don't go out with their girlfriends and drink cosmopolitans, eat cupcakes, and wear ridiculous shoes. And this may be a revelation to the "creative" people who put the show together, and who think they are SO courageous and groundbreaking, but women talked honestly with their friends about sex LONG before Sarah Jessica Parker let out her first bug-eyed squeak.

I hope the film is a gigantic flop so that we never have to see any of these characters ever again.

(BTW I sat behind Cynthia Nixon at a play in NYC and she is very low-key and normal. So I don't hate all of the actresses anyway :p)

28. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Wait--Stanford and Anthony are married? They hated each other in the series. Gah, they did that because they're the only gay people on the show. Stanford can do better.

29. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

After seeing all the comments I will probably watch it on DVD :shuffle:

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

This.

I like Charlotte, and she's the last one I expected to like. Maybe because she's the only one of the four who's kind.