Sets in the City - Tennis 2012 III

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Loves_Shizuka, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

The Federer vs. Murray match is incredible!!! Now in the fourth set . . .

2. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

3. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

:( As a huge Fed fan, I was obviously rooting for Roger. Good fight by him even though he wasn't playing his best tennis. Great play by Murray. Hope the Murray vs. Djokovic final is great. Pulling for Murray.

4. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

I think Wimbledon is going to be Fed's best chance at another GS - Murray just hung tough after that lose of the 4th set and didn't get down as he has in past years. There is no doubt in my mind that the best thing Murray has done during his playing career was making that phone call to Ivan Lendl - it has transformed him both as a player and a person. He has truely grown up in the past 12 months and could win a handful of GS's in the next few years!!

I think Nadal will never be the player he was and though he could have a couple more French Opens in him I suspect he will not be in the mix for any other GS's - the knee injury is recurring too often. And even though I love Federer I think he will only be in the mix for Wimbledon and maybe only this year as even though he is remarkably fit he is 31 which is old for a top flight tennis player.

The dominating rivalry in the mens game for the next few years could be Novak and Andy - let's hope the match on Sunday is as entertaining as their US Open match final!!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  5. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

Yep, I know Wimbledon is where Roger has the best shot at adding more GS titles. I'm crossing my fingers he can win another U.S. Open or Australian Open though it will be undoubtedly difficult.

Rottie and (deleted member) like this.
  6. duane

duane New Member

Roger had 43 winners to 60 UFEs, only 6 aces, and had 6 break opportunities. Andy had 62 winners to 47 UFEs, 21 aces, and had 16 break opportunities. Surely with these numbers it was a quick straight-set win for Andy, right? NO, it was a 5-setter! Andy beat Roger for the first time at a slam, but there are concerns.

And I disagree that Wimbledon is the only slam where Roger will be in the mix. He had a much more difficult draw at the AO, and made it to the semis. The only player to beat him in the past 2 years at the USO has been Novak, and Nadal has been his main RG nemesis. Roger will continue to be in the mix at all the slams, and the draw will be a huge factor for him as well as for Novak, Nadal, and Murray.

7. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Sad to see Roger lose. :( Will always love the style he plays with, but he is unfortunately probably in the twilight of his career.

8. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I know Vika has faced her share if criticism for withdrawals and medical timeouts but I can't help recall the time where she probably should have called a trainer and instead collapsed on the court.

I'm looking forward to this final- slightly pulling for Vika but really would be happy with either player winning!

And yay for Murray!!

9. duane

duane New Member

Perhaps because unlike the previous matches, Vika failed to convert on FIVE match points before being broken by Sloane. It was the first and only time in the match where momentum was on Sloane's side.

10. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Great semi-final between Murray and Federer. Sadly I think Roger's best days are behind him but that's not to take anything away from Murray who played a terrific match. If I were a betting woman, my money would be on Novak to win on Sunday, but it's the same line up as the last slam and Murray surprised him there.

I'll be cheering for Andy anyway! :cheer2:

11. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Vika faces a tougher match against Hampton and didn't call a medical time out. Hampton broke Vika for a 5-4 lead in the 2nd. Vika didn't convert the break points she had and lost the set. Vika WAS in trouble in the Hampton match. She was a down a break in the 3rd set too. Vika played better and Hampton's injury inhibited her somewhat in the 3rd set.

My point was to state, Vika has played in MORE pressured, emotional matches than the Stephens match and HAS not done this before. As I stated before, for a player who has passed out on the court before, having her state she couldn't breate and felt anxiety is an illegimate response to ask for a medical time out. Vika has a history of medical issues in hot conditions. The temp on the court was over 100 F and no one is mentioning this.

12. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I'm so happy for Murray. I think he'll beat Novak D.

13. duane

duane New Member

My point is that the two are totally different situations. Vika had MATCH points against Sloane in that critical game. One conversion and the match is over, but she failed FIVE times. A huge difference between failing to convert break points. And yes, she was in trouble against Hampton, but it seemed she was biding her time because it was obvious Hampton was injured. Sloane wasn't, and seemed ready to pounce as she had against Serena.

And, the Sloane match was a HIGHLY pressured, emotional match, perhaps one of the most Vika has faced. She's trying to defend the one slam title she has, the #1 ranking was at stake (and still is if she doesn't win the title), and with both Serena and Maria out, she became THE clear favorite. That is SERIOUS pressure!

14. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

15 year old (as of last month!) Ana Konjuh of Croatia takes the girls' title - future star?

15. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Did any of you following things know there was also Para/Wheelchair Competition at this year's Aussie Open? I didn't until a few minutes when checking Twitter and seeing the retweets by the IPC and seeing Tweets by the winner of the Ladies event and a Tweet by one of the guys who got to hit practice balls w/Novak this morning. Good on Novak and it was hard to tell who had the bigger grin on their faces. :)

OMG!! Darren Cahill's one heck of a good sport and also a standup guy to boot. Last year he and Andy's Mom made a bet. When Andy made the Aussie Open Final, Darren would wear a kilt. He just walked onto ESPN's set w/it on. Doesn't look half bad on him either.

Not sure who will win this, but I've always had a soft spot for Li Na, so I'd love it for her to win another GS.

That Murray/Federer match last night/yesterday morning was out of this World!! BTW, how fitting Andy made the Aussie Final on Robbie Burns Day? Awesome match and I think he's going to give Novak a run for his money tomorrow. Will be rooting for Andy, but I love Novak too, so will be happy regardless. :)

Now....C'mon Ladies....Let's get this Party started!!

Oh....And Happy Australia Day to our FSU Aussie Members!!!

16. falling_dance

falling_dance ToT Thread For Sale

Li turned her left ankle, which is now being taped.

ETA: I know almost nothing about tennis but I think Li is going to win this one.

ETA2: Or not.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  17. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

So if the Li Na injury break wasn't dramatic enough, now there are Australia Day fireworks next door posing an even longer, but totally voidy, interruption to the match. :inavoid:

Happy Australia Day, mates! :40beers:

18. AragornElessar

But at least they knew that was coming.

NO!!! And it looks like it's the other ankle/leg this time...

19. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

AND she hit her head on the court falling down. Wow. :fragile:

20. AragornElessar

Yes Chrissie, you're right. This is one crazy GS Final. This is just unreal!!!

21. AragornElessar

I totally get the crowd reaction to Vika, but it's still a shame and a half that after she wins and defends, the crowd can't at least give her some respect for that.

And Li...Just...Wow!!!

22. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

So Viki won - but she is not a very popular winner. Oh well - congrats to her and hopefully she can get past the awful press she has been receiving. I just wish she would stop grunting!!!

23. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

This has to go down as the most undeserving slam title and tennis history, and the most unpopular one as well. I cant in all my years following tennis recall a player, no matter how unpopular, booed throughout an entire slam final, cheered at their double faults and errors, and booed after winning (if one can even use that word) the match and championship, LOL! I wonder if she will even be booed at the trophy presentation which would be another tennis first. I was fairly netural to Azarenka before this event, but now she is definitely one of my least favorite player. I hope a healthy Serena pounds the daylights out of her throughout the remainder of 2013.

24. justAfsfan

justAfsfan Member

The crowd is disgusting, this is bullying! They act like Vika twist Na ankle!

Na play better but I'm still glad that Vika pull through the hate she receive from crowd and western media!

25. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

The most undeserving slam title in tennis history? Why not the most undeserved title in the history of sport? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I have no great love for Vika but to say that she doesn't deserve that title is hugely insulting to an athlete who, as far as I know, works every bit as hard as anyone else to get where she is. I don't care how much the public doesn't like her - this is sport, not a popularity contest. If it were, Federer would be winning his 26th Grand Slam tomorrow :lol:

And I remember a time not so long ago when everyone and their uncle was lamenting the fact that we had number ones who were unable to win a slam, and now that we have one, people call her "undeserving".... :shuffle:

26. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

No kidding! Congrats to Vika. It's not her fault Na twisted her ankle, and by all accounts she's an incredibly hard worker. I don't mind the grunting and I personally find her intensity to be a relatable quality.

Congrats to her :cheer:

27. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

It's not bullying. If she can't take it she shouldn't dish it out. Between the grunting and the fake sickie the other day, she hasn't exactly done anything to earn the respect of the crowd.

I suppose you thought that the crowd mimicking Sharapova's squeals was bullying too...

28. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

A focking men. Please Serena come back and destroy this lying cheating butch.

29. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

:( Li Na. I thought she had it for a while, but too bad. I don't always like Azarenka's antics on court but she was a deserving winner.

30. justAfsfan

justAfsfan Member

I'm not even cheer for Vika myself, I want Li to to win. But the crowd clap when she double fault!! On stand there is a sign cheaterenka! And there are no real evidences to prove that she really cheat in sf. When she say different thing at two interview, it might be because she don't get the question. Grunting might be annoying but it doesn't justify the action she receive today at all.

I didn't watch Sharapova match and only discuss about Vika here:shuffle: