Sets in the City - Tennis 2012 III

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Loves_Shizuka, Sep 13, 2012.

1. duane

duane New Member

:lol:

2. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Vag, you just made me laugh at loud. So true, so true!!! Funny people we are, us skating fans. LOL.

3. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to count Vika out. People tend to label Serena as the big obstacle to both Maria and Vika.

4. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Oh dear, Sharapova having a meltdown...2 double faults to start with plus 1 more later. Plenty of other missed serves and Li is now leading 4 - 1 in the first set.

5. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I love how the 2 opening double faults were preceded by ESPN saying " Sharapova has been serving great in this tournament!"

Sharapova is not playing well at all, and Li is. But I would never count Maria out.

6. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Oh, never. I fully expect Maria to rebound sooner or later...and Li Na will lapse into inconsistency sooner or later, too.

7. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I swear, this is a match of who is less tennis dumb.

8. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Na and Serena always have close matches, I think their most lopsided one ever is Na getting 7 or 8 games which against Serena is quite a feat. They have many 3 setters too. Serena just wins all the maches. Azarenka and Serena have had some close matches in the last 18 months since Serena came back, but alot of blowouts too (Olympics 2012, Canada 2011, U.S Open 2011). Although Azarenka came incredibly close to winning that U.S Open final but Serena was unusually flat footed that day. Anyway it is all moot as Serena is out.

As for my prediction I was quite correct that no fellow top player was beating Serena here, and that it would have to be a lower ranked one. Granted we didnt see a match with a top player happen, but that seems pretty obvious seeing what Serena did whenever another top player was on the other side of the net in 2012.

9. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Li took the first set and now leads 4 - 2 in the second. Maria is just looking very out of sorts today for some reason - the amount of missed serves is incredible...

10. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Na Na Na Na! Hey Hey! Goodbye!

Na into her 3rd GS final :cheer:

11. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

Li Na :cheer2: Couldn't ask for a better result!

Sharapova, 2-6, 2-6 :lol:

12. duane

duane New Member

Excellent performance by Li. She never looked back from the first point.

13. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

And Li Na makes it into the final! My bet is still on Azarenka if she makes it past Stephens; if Stephens makes it through, it's anyone's guess...

Strange how Maria looked ill at ease throughout today's match - you'd think with the H2H against Li so stacked in her favour that'd she feel more comfortable.

14. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

Poor Maria, she didn't have her game tonight. :(

Congrats to Li Na! I quite enjoy watching her tennis as well and she was definitely terrific tonight.

Now I need to start praying for Roger against Murray tomorrow. ;)

15. judgejudy27

A Na-Azarenka final is 50/50 if it happens IMO. I wouldnt be surprised with either outcome. Their h2H history is pretty mixed. One thing about the matchup though is Na will probably win or lose the match. There is no question she has the bigger game of the two, but Azarenka has the steadier one.

16. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

And Sharapova did just what I said she has done so many times. Stormed her way through the draw to drop to her first real test. That is embarrassing to go through 5 rounds only losing 9 games and then you lose 2-6 2-6? Ouch.

17. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Li Na is FIERCE. I am not surprised she kicked Screamer's bony butt. I want Stephens to make the final. Please let it happen. We'd have a rather quiet non-screaming final, always a good thing...

18. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Wow, Djokovic is slaughtering Ferrer in their semi-final.

19. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Ah, the first bit I did not know; the second I am most assuredly aware of. ;)

20. duane

duane New Member

I say do away with the injury timeout. It is abused too often (like Vika's convenient 10 minute injury timeout after being broken when serving for the match). If a player is injured, deal with it or forfeit the match.

21. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I think Vika being singled out for it is very annoying. Is it unsportsmanlike? Probably. But the medical personnel made the ultimate call so they kust have felt it was necessary. So many players -including Nadal and Djokovic - that singling her out just makes ne think the media needs a story now that all the americans aee out.

22. judgejudy27

It is possible the media, fans, and journalists want Na to win the final so they are looking for an excuse to turn unfairly and to an otherwise unjustifiable extreme against Azarenka in the final. Who knows.

23. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

ita, so many players do it. the morons on espn act like she's the first who ever did it.

24. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

But did she do it over anxiety/breathing problems or a physical injury? Because if it's the former, that's technically not allowed under the rules.

Either way, I don't think it's as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.

25. duane

duane New Member

LOL! I was simply voicing my personal opinion. I didn't know it had become such a big story! Here's one:

THE world's top player Victoria Azarenka last night declined to apologize to rising star Sloane Stephens after taking a questionable injury time-out at a crucial time in their Australian Open semi-final.
    Azarenka is a vastly more experienced player than 19-year-old Stephens - 29 grand slam appearances to seven.

But she denied gamesmanship of any type by asking for medical help for a breathing problem in the middle of a clutch of match points.

Azarenka is trying to defend both her Australian Open title and the No 1 world ranking.

But the 23-year-old did agree her timing was unfortunate as it came after she had failed to convert five match points in the tenth game of the second set when leading 5-4.

"The timing, yeah, it was bad," Azarenka said. "The game before that when I lost my service, it kept getting worse," she said.

"I thought I would have to play through it and keep calm. But it just got worse. I had to do it.

"I had to unlock my rib, which was causing my back problem. You know, the (WTA) trainer said, 'We have to go off court to treat that'. I just didn't really want to take off my dress on the court."

In two post-match interviews by broadcast rights holders Seven Network and ESPN, Azarenka mentioned how she felt overwhelmed by nerves. She did not mention her back, which led critics to imply she had taken the medical time-out as a ploy to distract Stephens.

In the next game, Stephens served to try to stay in the match. But on Azarenka's sixth match point the young American netted a backhand and it was all over 6-1 6-4.

Wearing a T-shirt bearing the slogan "Kiss My Fast" in the post-match press conference, Azarenka said the discrepancy in her answers came down to a "simple misunderstanding".

"You know what, I think I just really misunderstood what she asked me because the question was 'I had few difficulties' and why I went off. I completely thought of a different thing," she said.

Azarenka did say she should have sought medical attention earlier in the set. But she did not feel the need to apologise to Stephens.

"Apology? I don't know if that's apology. For the timing, I cannot be in control how long it takes to fix my injury," she said.

"As I said, they wanted to take two medical time-outs, for the knee and for that. But I wanted to take one because I wanted to go back on court."

Azarenka had been hopping along the baseline in the third game of the second set after running hard to retrieve a Stephens shot. She limped on it again two games later but did not call for the WTA trainer or doctor.

For her part Stephens, who had beaten Serena Williams in Wednesday's quarter-final, said she was not affected by the time-out and didn't really care what the reasons were for it.

"It's happened to me before. If it was one of my friends, I would say, 'Oh my God, that sounds like a PP', which is a personal problem," Stephens said. "Other than that, it's just unfortunate."

Stephens' coach David Nainkin was more direct.

"I thought it was very unfair, cheating within the rules," he told newspaper USA Today."It was unsportsmanlike.

Nainkin said the rules needed to be changed if authorities found Azarenka's actions legitimate.

"Sloane sat out there for 10 minutes while someone saves match points," he said. "It's momentum swings. That's part of the sport. You have 90 seconds on the changeover and you have to deal with what just happened. That's tennis. She had 10 minutes to go inside and regroup. It's not fair."
    The pair, who share manager John Tobias, had not spoken since all the drama unfolded, Stephens said. It was the first time they had met in a WTA match.

"But I'm sure I'll see her," Stephens said. "Of course, I love Vikka and we share the same agent. We actually are pretty good friends. I'm sure I'll see her and we'll talk about it."

The Florida teenager did remark that she found it strange that "a breathing problem" should be used for a time-out.

"You just get an oxygen tank or something. I don't know. You got to figure it out," she said smiling, before adding: "I hope she wins the final, so I hope if that's the case she should figure it out."

26. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i dont think her time out was permissible under the rules either. but i dont think she's the first player to do it.

i wonder how much the US commentators would care if it was an american who did it.

27. duane

duane New Member

I totally agree that many players have abused the rule, which is why I say get rid of it.

28. aidan

aidan New Member

Interesting that during the Sharapova/Li Na match, the commentators mentioned that it was a battle of the two women are currently making the most money from endorsements.

Given the fact she has only won one GS title almost two years ago, I was surprised that she has that many endorsements. I guess it's a reflection of the times and shows how badly some of these companies want to get into the Chinese market.

29. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

She is the only successful Chinese tennis player and China is a land of billions of people. Of course there is tons of money to be made for her, probably even if she never won a GS but was just consistently a top player. Not as much, of course, but I bet she would have still made a lot.

30. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I agree. I'm giving Vika the benefit of the doubt. She's been in other emotional matches and has not don't this. I think she really may have started to feel anxiety. I will not doubt a person who fainted/passed out on a court before. Vika has issues with HEAT as 2010 USO.

Vika did not do this in the Jamie Hampton match a few days ago. She did not do this in her matches last season at the FO, Wimbledon or USO, so why would she do this now if folks beleive she's such a poor sport.

Regarding Rafa, it's pretty obvious that Rafa's knee issues were and are serious. His body will not be able to take the punishment of his game for more than 2 or 3 years, imo.