Sets in the City - Tennis 2012 III

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Loves_Shizuka, Sep 13, 2012.

1. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I know. I'm watching Vika now. Her match just started.

Early upsets already; Nadia P lost to Kimiko Date-Krumm 2-6, 0-6;
    Caroline W def Sabine L in 3 sets. Sabine was up 3-0 in the 3rd set and lost the next 5 games.

Venus looked really good yesterday. Healthy and stronger. Her dress was fabulous.
    http://www.tennispanorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Venus-Williams-2013-australian-open-day-1-20130113-173927-201-e1358140905475.jpg

2. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

:respec: to Date-Krumm at the age of 42 beating the 12th seed.

Murray looked impressive in his first match, though he still tends to have brief lapses of concentration. He's in the more difficult half of the draw and will probably have to beat Del Potro and Federer if he's to make the final. I have faith. :)

3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

How old was Navratilova when she played a few singles tournaments? Date-Krumm is really impressing me. Would love to see her get far!

4. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Sloane Stephens won yesterday and Madison Keys just closed out her match against Paszek. Paszek is ranked #30. Keys had a very good match last week ago against Na.

5. orientalplane

Yay for Heather Watson reaching the third round and saving three match points along the way. :cheer2:

6. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

maria sharapova has won 2 matches without losing a game!!!

7. shah

shah Well-Known Member

Stosur lost to Jie Zheng :eek:.

8. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

It's in Australia, that's not so surprising :shuffle:

9. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Laura Robson beats Petra Kvitova 2-6 6-3 11-9 at the Australian Open!!!!

:cheer2::cheer::cheer2::cheer::cheer2:

BBC Match Report

10. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Happy for Laura Robson but gutted for Kvitova. :( She's been completely AWOL so far this year.

11. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

And Kimiko Date-Krumm is into the 3rd round, having defeated Shahar Peer. She's so cool! (And in unbelievable shape.)

12. duane

duane New Member

That was said to watch. I haven't seen that kind of melt-down since Clijsters' choke against Serena at the 03 AO semis.

13. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I watched the match and Zheng is tough competitor but Sam was serving for the match twice, up 5-2 in the third. Zheng knew she was tight and just kept the ball in play.

14. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Melbourne Temperature is around 23 C, Sydney today recorded the highest temperature ever 46 C.

15. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Sharapova is looking very very good

16. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Sharapova destroyed Venus 1-3. Definitely thought Maria would win, but hoped it might be a better match than that. :(

17. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

If Vika loses the match against Hampton with Hampton having a bad back, struggling I am going to send her a tweet about her guts. She's playing tentative against her. Hampton can't run nor stretch, why is Vika hitting to her in the middle of the court?

Injured players are dangerous, you have to exploit their weakness, injury or not.

18. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Vika moves on; 62 in the third (last 5 games in a row) but that certainly wasn't convincing...

19. duane

duane New Member

WOW, the Federer/Tomic match is living up to the hype!! What an amazing first 2 sets!!

20. orientalplane

Up all night watching the Aussie Open. :rollin: Serena didn't look worried even when she went 3-0 down in the second set; she just stepped up a gear and cruised to victory. I'd be a bit surprised to see her take the title, though. Real shock to see Del Potro go out, but kudos to Jeremy Chardy. Murray's scoreline flatters him a little - he had quite a battle on his hands, though he does tend to improve throughout a competition. And you had to feel sorry for the French duo of Monfils and Simon - both injured in a bruising five setter that made them look battered and knackered. Ouch! :lol: I didn't get to see Federer, but the BBC said he was "smooth as silk and sweet as chocolate." :)

Go Andy! :cheer2:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  21. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i'm all for swagger in an athlete and believing you can win but tomic's ass just couldnt cash that check he wrote

what was up w delpo so far back from the baseline?

22. london_calling

london_calling New Member

Tomic is remarkably cocky for a player who hasn't accomplished much on the tour.

Also found this interesting:

FEDERER VS. YOUNG GUNS ON ATP WORLD TOUR - Federer is undefeated (13-0) against opponents born in the 1990s in his career:

Player W-L
    Bernard Tomic (born 21 Oct. 1992) 4-0
    Milos Raonic (born 27 Dec. 1990) 3-0
    Ryan Harrison (born 7 May 1992) 2-0
    Denis Kudla (born 17 Aug. 1992) 1-0
    Devin Britton (born 17 March 1991) 1-0
    David Goffin (born 7 Dec. 1990) 1-0
    Vasek Pospisil (born 23 June 1990) 1-0

23. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Interesting, london_calling. So the theory I occasionally hear trotted out that Federer dominates players of his own generation because he dominated them when they were all younger and "got in their head" but can't dominate younger players who don't "fear" him is not borne out by the evidence.

Jamie Hampton's got some game. Too bad her back flared up. I got the impression that Azarenka went out there with no game plan except "Hit her off the court." When Hampton wasn't going to be hit anywhere and was hitting back, Vika didn't have a plan for that.

Kimiko had a great run. Hope she stays healthy and we see a lot more of her this year. Just think how much the game has changed since she turned pro!

Federer vs. Tomic was good for the first two sets, and Fed was pretty darn divine at times. He can still really move his feet. Sometimes I wonder what kind of figure skater he would have made, given his seemingly innate grace. He'll have to be just about divine to go deep in this thing, given his draw.

Looking forward to Ferrer vs. Nishikori!

24. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

25. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

26. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

27. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Novak is being pushed all the way in his match with Stan - into the decider now - Stan playing out of his mind by the sounds of it!!

28. FSfan107

29. FSfan107

What an unbelievable match between Novak and Stan! I feel so bad for Stan! :(

30. orientalplane

Djokovic and Wawrinka serve up a feast of tennis - one of the most incredible matches I've ever seen! :eek: :cheer: Good to hear from Wawrinka that he takes more of a positive than negative feeling from this, but it must have been so tough to take after playing so well. And Djokovic marches on towards the final! Great viewing! :)