Sets in the City - Tennis 2012 III

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Loves_Shizuka, Sep 13, 2012.

1. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

When does Andy play next ?

2. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Probably Rogers Cup in Canada in early August.

3. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Thank's :)

4. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Hasn't it been renamed Andy's Cup? ;)

5. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Whee, all-Romanian semifinal tomorrow when Halep and Cadantu will play each other in Budapest. Not sure when (if ever) that happened last time in a WTA tournament :cheer2:.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

7. duane

duane New Member

Wow, that's surprising about Maria splitting with her coach.

I hope the next player to do so is Roger. ;)

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that Sharapova has a career Slam. I knew she only won a few Slams but the 4 she won are 1 on each of the 4 surfaces. Interesting.

9. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Jimmy Connors will be Maria's new coach, apparently.

10. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Whoa! That should be... interesting. Did Connors do much for Andy Roddick?

11. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

^That's interesting.

12. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

It helped for a bit in terms of getting Roddick out of a funk he was in and had him believing that he could beat Federer. I think Jimmys purpose may be to get Maria to not be scared of Serena.

13. butyrskafanatic

butyrskafanatic Member

Does anyone think Serena has a chance to overtake Graf as the female GOAT, and if not overtake Navratilova,Evert, and Court for 2nd place. Right now the best ever female players list is probably:

1. Graf
    2. Navratilova
    3. Court
    4. Evert
    5. Serena

How far up can Serena move?

14. BigB08822

Are you mainly referring to the amount of Slams won to decide your rankings? I don't think Graf should be #1, her Slam count is high because Seles was out of the picture for so many years. I know there is no way to know how many Slams Seles may have won but I think almost everyone agrees she would have won quite a few between the stabbing and when she came back in 1996. Graf was great and deserves to be up there but I don't think she is top 2.

Anyway, yes, I do think Serena can move up in the rankings (if we are talking about Slam totals). She has looked so good this year and I truly think Wimbledon was just a blip. Grass is so unforgiving and anyone is able to beat anyone on it, it seems. I think back to all the Slams and it seems to me that Wimbledon is home to the most major upsets and crazy underdog victories.

15. butyrskafanatic

butyrskafanatic Member

Most people see Graf as #1. Tennis Channel ranked her #1, so did Tennis Magazine, so does Steve Flink, so do most international tennis polls, so does Virginia Wade and most of the BBC tennis team. The only one who has a case being before her is Navratilova, so #2 is the absolute worst anyone logical could have her, but most have Graf #1 over even her.

If you have her outside top 2 who would you have over her besides Navratilova (who I assume would be 1 of the 2 in that case). Would it be Serena already?

The consensus top 10 women would be something like:

1. Graf
    2. Navratilova
    3. Evert or Court
    5. Serena
    6. Wills or Lenglen
    8. King or Connolly
    10. Seles or Henin or Venus

Although Serena might already be higher than that now. I hope she reaches #1 all time as she is my favorite player.

16. duane

duane New Member

I don't think Connors helped Roddick all that much. Roddick was able to get that win over Federer at Miami, but I think it was more because Roger was physically spent (he had won 3 consecutive tournaments heading into Miami) than anything Connors did.

I'm surprised that Maria chose him, and wonder what she expects to gain from him. I though Hogstedt was excellent for her, and made her more of an all-court player.

17. BigB08822

I have Nav and Evert #1 and #2 followed by Graf.

18. usova94gold

usova94gold Member

Evert top 2 all time? She was great but prime to prime she would get spanked by Graf, Navratilova, Serena and even possibly Court, Seles, Venus, Henin. She still has to rank over Venus, Henin, and Seles, since her record is so much better but she probably also couldnt be that high since no matter how great her career is her ability to actually play tennis at the highest level is inferior to other greats. Navratilova beating her 13 times in a row at one point when Evert was still in her prime is testement to that. No matter how great Martina was at the time, it is hard to think of any other best ever contender who would get that owned by anyone in their primes.

19. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I remember Navratilova saying Graf was the best of all time too... while Graf said Navratilova was, lol!

1.graf
    2. navratilova
    3. court
    4. seles
    5. serena
    6. henin
    7. evert

I would vote for Graf as #1. Seles would have won more slams in the future, but she and Steffi had some great battles for the titles Monica won, so I'm thinking some would have gone Steffi's way...and then Steffi had some big injury troubles (making the rise of Hingis possible so early) , so who knows what she could have done without her injuries... And remember, Steffi stopped when she hit 30 even though she had just made 2 finals, so it's reasonable to believe she may have won more if she hadn't lost her motivation.

As for Serena, I'd say she's still not that close to Martina N or Steffi or Court. I would say she's around Monica. I would have loved to have seen an in her prime Monica vs. Serena just because the two of them would be like dogs fighting over a bone. I can't decide who would win in a battle of wills.

20. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Roger Federer has switched to a larger racket head for Hamburg.

21. butyrskafanatic

butyrskafanatic Member

No way can Seles rank above Serena or Evert all time. She never won Wimbledon, doesnt even come close to the same longevity (and almost certainly wouldnt have even without the stabbing as that would mean lasting at the top and winning slams into her 30s), and wasnt even certain to reach their # of slams even without the stabbing.

Ranking Henin above Evert is criminal and a huge slap in the face to Chrissie. The only thing remarkable about Henin's career is clay court stats in the maybe the worst clay field ever, and even in clay stats Chris the clay GOAT kills her. Unless you give Henin brownie points for being a shortie, but then Hingis should rank above Henin since she won by playing true small girls tennis rather than being a miniature bodybuilder wannabee big babe like Henin. One whose suspicious retirement had whispers of PED use too.

22. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Longevity should probably factor into the discussion, which is why Monica Seles probably should be ranked alongside players like Maureen Connolly and Suzanne Lenglen but no higher. Serena is actually catching up to Monica in terms of singles titles (only behind by 1) and weeks at #1 (behind now by 33, and will probably overtake by early next year).

That was an odd period as Chris Evert did not switch to graphite until early 1984, granted Martina probably would have still won most of those matches during that period (Chris won only 3 sets of 30 in those 13 matches) ,

23. BigB08822

I remember an amazing match toward the end of Seles' career during the hardcourt season leading to the U.S. Open where Seles fought off like 8 match points from Serena and came back to win. It was epic!

24. duane

duane New Member

Roger, Roger, Roger...

Ok, he's playing with a new racquet, which IMO is a good thing, but he played Hamburg to win to the title/add 500 badly needed points, and to gain confidence. This semis loss to a qualifier is bad.

25. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Yes, that was amazing match... I had high hopes of her wining US open that year. Anyway with standard Monica set before she was stabbed, she would have achieved a lot in the sport. I still find it so hard to believe she was stabbed at the age of 19 ...

26. minuet

minuet Well-Known Member

No comments about the Rogers Cup? Seeds falling all over the place in the bottom 1/2 and 2 Canadians into the semis! Crazy week. Top 1/2 going pretty much as expected. Wish the Sportsnet commentary was more bearable...I want to strangle Arash Madani. His voice, lack of knowledge, stupid questions, etc. is driving me crazy.

27. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Today: Del Potro, bad back. Raonic, numbness in the serving arm. Davydenko, bronchitis and quit. Murray and Ferrer and a bunch of other seeds out way earlier than one would expect. I'm just as glad Federer's sitting this one out -- too much weirdness.

The women are looking positively normal!

28. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Semi between Rafa and Novak - wish I was there in person! If only to avoid the inane low-tier-event-sounding commentary. (Wanting more bad blood between the top four men, seriously?) :rolleyes:

29. duane

duane New Member

I so agree, and on both points.

No other pairing in mens tennis is more exciting than when Rafa and Nole meet. These two bring out the best in each other (tho strangely, Novak had a total meltdown in the tie-break).

30. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

Marion Bartoli just announced her retirement from tennis!:eek: I'm shocked but I wish her the best. It's great that she is going out fresh off her Wimbledon title.