Sets in the City - Tennis 2012 III

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Loves_Shizuka, Sep 13, 2012.

1. liv

liv Well-Known Member

SO glad for Andy. I said before that I thought the stars were aligning for him this year and when they mentioned that it was 7/7 (of 2013) and it had been 77 years since Perry had won, I knew it was a good omen and said to my friend, Andy will win.

That last game was full of tension, but in general that match wasn't that exciting. Novak was clearly not as his best, and i wonder if that huge match with DelPotro is partly to blame and no wonder if that is the case... but it does not matter because Andy played very well and it's not like it was a case of the person with the fewest errors won. Andy played about as well as he can and I'm so happy for him, his entourage, and all those fans who've waited forever for this. I've no doubt "Sir" Andy will be in his future...

Thought Novak was very gracious in his after match comments, and Andy was quite funny describing his mother as "squealing" behind him, LOL!!

Very pleased with the outcome today.

2. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

What a way to cap off a holiday weekend! I had chills when they announced the first Championship point, and was thrilled that Andy was able to win in straight sets. Certainly did not see that coming!

3. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Pressure Mounts over Sexist Remark

There definitely is a focus in all sports on women's looks. A shame that in her triumphant moment, she get's this unnecessary evaluation of her looks.

Bartoli's classy remark about the "clumsy remark"

4. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Great response by Bartoli to that. That comment is just as disrespectful to Maria, who has worked damn hard. Her looks haven't won her Grand Slam titles.

So happy about Murray winning! No more hearing about Fred Perry and the 77-year-and-counting title drought! And Murray really did play brilliantly and showed physical and emotional grit. I think he can thank Del Potro for knocking the stuffing out of Djokovic two days ago, though Novak has come back after other grueling semifinals and won, so all credit to Murray. And I actually thought it was a pretty good match? Good ball striking, not a ton of unforced errors, lots of hard-fought points. I enjoyed it.

5. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Agreed. I thought it was a high-quality match, not boring at all.

One thing I always appreciate at Wimbledon: the awards ceremony is much shorter than that at the French or Australian.

6. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

I thought it was a pretty good match, too. The 3-sets that were played had a lot of changes in momentum and a lot of varied points. It was neat to see two solid returners trying to exploit each other's movements. The 3-drop shots in a row that Novak hit were awesome.

Congrats to Andy, very exciting to have witnessed the occasion! I think he's going to complete the grand-slam in the next two years.

7. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Andy and the Grand Slam? do you mean calendar year or career? Either way, the mountain known as Nadal at the French stands in his way. I think that man will keep winning the French until he hits middle age.... or injury gets him first. But, I agree for the most part, Andy is going to have a good time in the next few years.

8. ross_hy

ross_hy Active Member

Thrilled for Murray and today's win. Watching a replay of the final right now. I can't think of anything that would be the American equivalent of Murray winning this title. I just remember seeing his face everywhere in London during the Olympics last year.

9. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

There is also Novak Djokovic who is a fabulous clay courter, even though he hasnt won the French, and is a MUCH better clay courter than Murray. Murray winning the French would be a hercules task, but not impossible I suppose, but would probably require the draw collapsing a bit like the womens event at this years Wimbledon.

Glad he won Wimbledon though. This elevates him into higher stature than he was previously for sure.

10. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I am thrilled for Andy :) Yesterday I just had a good feeling and somehow knew that it was his time to win it :swoon:
    A great day now bring on the royal baby :D

11. AnnieD

AnnieD Active Member

I'm over the moon for Andy too! I could barely watch yesterday I was so nervous for him. Everyone here is so proud of him, when I went out shopping this morning it was all everyone was talking about in the shops - I still can't believe we've got a Scottish Wimbledon Champion!

12. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

If only Andy Murray had better results on clay, he'd be contesting for year end #1 with good results in hardcourts, indoors and World Tour Finals - as it is, #2 seed at US Open is pretty much a lock with the win at Wimbledon yesterday (unless Rafael Nadal can somehow win both Montreal and Cincinnati).

13. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Didn't get a chance to post yesterday. But Andy's win is one of the best moments in recent sports history. This is why I love tennis, it creates historical and emotional moments like no other sport.

I teared up a little and the atmosphere on the court, on grounds, near Tower Bridge and in Andy's home town were incredible, ie. the crowd standing up during the change overs, Lendl standing up in the players box with the score 5-4 in the 3rd set, Lendl looking almost to tears, and of course Andy!!

On another notes, I DVR'ed the match. At the beginning of the match, BBC ran a fluff piece narrated by Clive Owen called "Meant To Be". I'll see if I can record it and upload it. It was MARVELOUS!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Happy celebrants at the Wimbledon ball:
    http://tennis.si.com/2013/07/08/photos-andy-murray-marion-bartoli-wimbledon-ball/

Estimated earnings windfall for Andy should top 20 million GBP per year, beyond his prize money:
    http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/08/new...aign=Feed: rss/money_topstories (Top Stories)

I would love to see that.

15. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

I also think it was a good match as well - I was surprised to see some on here were disappointed with it but I guess they wanted to see a 5 setter. I was so nervous when he came to serve for the match and lost the 3 championship points - how he hold his nerve to fight off the 3 break points was gruelling to watch so I can't even imagine what it was like to play them!!

Every single paper here in the UK had Andy on the front cover as well as souvenir editions etc. Poor guy only got 1 hours sleep last night what with the press then the ball and then the TV interviews today and the visit to Downing Street - he must be exhausted!!

16. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Marion looked great!

Seeing Ivan in a tux with Andy. Lendl is in my top 5 favorite players of all time.

Did anyone see the WTA Loves 40 presentation. 17 of the 21 #1 players of the WTA got together.

http://tennis.si.com/2013/07/01/photos-wta-40-serena-williams-maria-sharapova-jennifer-capriati/

LOOK AT DINARA SAFINA....http://siusopen.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/wta6.jpg?w=610&h=495

Monica looks good too.

17. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I had rarely seen Andy play with such determination and resolve.
    Even when he was behind, you knew that he could - and would - do what was needed to win,

18. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:rofl: Unbelievable!

I'm way behind cuz I don't currently get ESPN, and I'd need the right tv cable/ digital provider in order to get ESPN360 tennis coverage online. I did catch the encore of women's and men's finals on ABC's weak limited network coverage on Saturday and Sunday. Needless to say I'm pissed that I couldn't watch live finals and semifinals.

Bartoli had been there before and she knew she was lucky to be there again. No butterflies, just pure determination. Kudos! Although she didn't even mention Monica Seles during the award ceremony, Domshabfan. :D Lisicki, now that she has a taste of a Wimbledon final, will surely make it back there.

Surprised that Djokovic didn't extend the men's final to four or five sets, but I guess he was depleted from the Del Po match and also knew he was up against not only Murray, but the entire United Kingdom in addition to the murderous on court heat.

ETA: The men's final did not have the kind of edge of your seat tension and excitement that five-setters have, and that last year's final had of course. The heat made it hard for both players, but having got there again by the skin of his teeth, Murray did not have plans to lose this one. There were some exciting moments during the match. The final game was a nail biter with Nole giving Murray a bit more of a run for his money. As a Lendl fan, I was quite happy for Lendl too in the final moments of the match. Its a great story Lendl teaming up with Andy and helping Andy slough off 77 years of drought in becoming a British Wimbledon champion and a Grand Slam champion, but moreover helping Andy win the championship that eluded him during his illustrious career.

19. duane

duane New Member

Very few players stand in Murray's way at Wimbledon, USO, and the AO, but a HOST of them stand in his way at RG. I think that even with a draw without the names Nadal, Djokovic, or Federer, the possibility of Murray winning or making the finals of RG is extremely small.

But, I still don't understand why Andy's game doesn't translate well on clay. It seems taylor-made for the surface.

20. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Yes he must have been exhausted but he certainly didn't look it :)He's fit as a fiddle :D
    I did feel a little sorry for him though .He did a lot of interviews yesterday answering the same questions over and over again .I really liked his interview with Holly Willoughby and The One Show.
    Maybe he'll take a holiday now .

21. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Agreed - his response to Willoughby was funny - 'Why would I tell you I've only known you for 10 minutes' :rofl: - upon being asked for the umpteenth time when he was going to propose to Kim. That and should he be knighted for winning Wimbledon - for goodness sake he is only 26 let him get that reward at the end of his career otherwise there will be no way to reward him for (hopefully) winning more slams and hopefully another Wimbledon or 2!!

22. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

His movement doesn't translate well to clay, for whatever reason. In the build-up to this year's clay season much was made about how he and Lendl were making adjustments, adapting his game, but in the end he was IMO wise to skip RG. I agree, even if Nadal's years of clay dominance are at an end, there are at least 5-6 other guys who would hold an edge over Murray on dirt.

23. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

It comes down to lack of natural slide on the surface that Andy hasn't yet figured out. Also, his use of drop shots and slices throughout the rallies doesn't work as effectively on clay vs. grass or even hard-courts.

24. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

That and should he be knighted for winning Wimbledon - for goodness sake he is only 26 let him get that reward at the end of his career otherwise there will be no way to reward him for (hopefully) winning more slams and hopefully another Wimbledon or 2!![/QUOTE]

Do you not think if Bradley Wiggins got a knighthhood for TDF and olympic gold Andy's achievements are similar ?

25. morqet

morqet Active Member

Wiggins got his after not just the TDF & 2012 OGM, but a ten year pro career that included 6 world championship titles, and 1 other OGM in 2004 and 2 in 2008. I see it more as a honour for all his achivements that have done a huge amount to raise the profile of cycling in this country. Given that he's now said he might never do the Tour again, it's a fitting cap on his career. Likewise, it would be more appropriate for Andy to receive a knighthood towards the end of his career too, not just for winning one tournament.

26. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I didn't know Bradley's career achievements so I can see why now.I'd never even heard of him before the olympics :shuffle:

27. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Agreed. However I think the Prime Minister himself has suggested Andy get a knighthood which I'm sure was said in the heat of the moment after the win on Sunday but I wouldn't be surprised if people are now regretting those comments. As one of the sports pages said today - not sure which one - it could make life really difficult for Andy on tour if the organisers of each event decided to refer to him as Sir Andy prior to each match. Also Andy himself might not want to Knighthood now - but if he declined (and he could) would it be re-offered (I suspect it would). The comments by one are all are a gut reaction to the Wimbledon win - no doubt in my mind he will eventually be offered a knighthood but not juts yet - as I said let it be a reflection on his entire career as many of the other knighthoods have been.

28. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Wrong thread

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  29. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Domshabfan, you're in the wrong thread. :)

30. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

haha, my bad...