Sets in the City - Tennis 2012 III

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Loves_Shizuka, Sep 13, 2012.

1. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

He has had two early losses, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. Give him a break, he's human. He can still play tennis at a high level. Doesn't mean he'll contend at every major. He still loves tennis and I seriously doubt he'll retire before the 2016 Olympics. I mean one rough Summer and people say he needs to retire? Hold your head high Roger, you're a great champion!
  2. duane

duane New Member

And so is Hewitt. Ferrer and Robredo are 31. Thirty year old Hanchukova and 31 year old Pennetta won their matches. The Bryans are 35. Why is "30 the new-20" for everyone except Roger?

Roger is 32, but I don't think because of his age, it should now be expected that he lose in straight sets at a slam against a player he's owned.
  3. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Hewitt a former #1 who is ranked outside the top 50 you mean. Federer is still doing far better overall than all those people you mentioned.
  4. duane

duane New Member

Exactly, and the fact that Roger (who was the game's #1 player at this time last year) is now losing to the likes of Benneteau, Stakhovsky, Delbonis, Brands, and now Robredo says that there's more to the story than "Roger is 32".
  5. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

Gasquet :cheer:

Fed will retire when he's good and ready. I'm sure these losses hurt his ego, but none of us are invincible. He might need to work even harder, and have a rethink about how he approaches certain matches but there's no need for him to run off just because he's had a few uncharacteristic losses.
    FSfan107 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

:( Federer.

Really happy to see Dani Hantuchova playing well and having a good run here. The number of aces in yesterday's match was incredible! She has such a natural fluidity to her game, hasn't seen her play in quite some time and it's refreshing.
  7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

What a harsh and judgemental attitude.
  8. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

I don't agree, and I don't think Duane is the judgmental one. I also think Roger himself would agree that his age would not necessarily contribute to a loss to Robredo, whom he defeated 10 times and is all of one year younger.

I think a combination of the racquet change, lousy weather conditions (including a last-minute court change) and a tougher-then-expected challenge combined to frustrate Roger and cause him to dump easy volleys and shank more forehands than usual. One thing I've noticed, though: he seemed to get so angry at himself, he threw the match away. I think having to adjust his game, not being able to do what he likes at there most of the time, is taking a toll on his confidence.
  9. topaz

topaz New Member

I think some of Roger's issue is related to age which has resulted in his inconsistent play over the last year and a half. Aging players have to adapt their game to the changes in their body. Roger should have been working on other aspects of his game for the last few years and he has chosen not too. He rarely uses topspin in his shots, hardly any variety and then he was impatient last night. I kept wondering if he was going to adjust his margin of error on his shots, but he didnt.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  10. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Absolutely agree. Roger isn't known for his ability to adjust his game mid-match, the way Nadal and Djokovic do so often. He has been slow to change. This summer it's pretty obvious Rafa realizes his body won't tolerate as much sprinting and retrieving on hardcourt as it used to, and he's compensated with a more aggressive service return, and by sticking closer to the baseline. Roger's temperament is different; he gets impatient.
  11. topaz

topaz New Member

The big difference is that Roger is considered the GOAT. The other players don't nearly have the prowess of Roger's image or resume.

The Bryan Brothers play DOUBLES; so you know that is not reasonable comparison. Doubles is not as hard on the body and mind as singles. This is why Hingis is playing doubles not singles.

Roger needs to change and adapt his game if he wants to move up in the ranks and get further in tourneys. If he does not then he will continue to have results like he has had for the last 7 months.
  12. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Good for Flavia Pennetta, who really should have made to semis of Wimbledon this year (lost to Flipkens), and semis of US Open a couple years ago (lost to Kerber). She essentially nothing to defend until early next year so she may very well be back to top 20. Interestingly, Roberta Vinci will get another chance for a top 10 ranking should she win the quarter-final.

Roger could perhaps employ more net rushing tactics, but he's going to have to accept that he'll get passed from time to time by the top players (but still stick with that strategy). Also, the floating slice backhand returns are getting punished a little more often.
  13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I dislike some of the overtones "kicking Roger to the curb", here.

He seemed disappointed in himself during his press conference.
    I'm sure he'll re-assess whatever he has/or hasn't been doing, going forward.
    Meredith and (deleted member) like this.
  14. topaz

topaz New Member

Good Gracious Vika pulled it out 4-6, 6-3, 4-6. This was not a pretty win for Vika. Vika had 9 DF and Ana had 8 DF.

Vika determination is really outstanding, great fight.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  15. Loves_Shizuka

Vika winning ugly.

I like her dress, but she doesn't look in the shape of her life atm.

Same old for Ivanovic of recent years unfortunately. Close but not close enough.
  16. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

I'm kind of loving the resurgence of Lleyton Hewitt. :)

Youzhny, ugh, he just looks like such a thug.

I'll be there for the Men's 1/4s on Thursday!!! :watch:
  17. Loves_Shizuka

I am not.

Good or bad thing? :p
  18. Loves_Shizuka

Li Na through to her first USO semi :cheer:
  19. Loves_Shizuka

Hewitt led 4-1 in the forth set - lost it 4-6.

He led 5-2 in the fifth set - lost it 5-7.

Ouch :yikes: :(

Misha :cheer:
  20. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Hewitt totally let that momentum slip away..... :wall:
  21. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I would love to see Roger come back from this and have a longer run in the slams as I still find his style to be the most entertaining. However, as he gets older and older, it'll be tougher for him unless he makes some significant changes.
  22. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I expected Serena to win, but this quarter with Suarez-Navarro is a fast blowout so far. I was expecting more. :(
  23. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Serena takes the first set in 19 minutes. :watch:
  24. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I was there today, Ana always seems on the edge of a nervous breakdown. Vika played ugly - mostly on serve. She didn't have trouble breaking Ivanovic at all, but ugh, that serve.
    I have to say her dropshot was absolutely fantastic today; I think she won every single point and executed every one correctly.

Li :cheer:

Nole was fabulous!

All the people I wanted to win won and I saw Martina Hingis in the flesh so it was a good damn day :D
  25. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

So many FSU-ers at the Open this year... I'm not jealous. :drama:

Oh my, Carla... that was embarrassing. :fragile:
  26. topaz

topaz New Member

I can't afford the USO, I'm thinking of going to the 2014 FO, the FO is actually cheaper than the USO.

I do know I'll be attending the Western/Southern Open in Cinci next year. Outside of a GS, the Cinci tourney is best on the calendar. All the top players are there from the ATP and WTA. Plus the tickets are really affordable.
  27. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I can't afford good tickets either - thankfully, my job is a sponsor (cheap tickets, even if for the very top rows at the Upper Promenade), and Gilt City had a very nice discount for a day session at Ashe (at least 40% off) which is how we went today. Of course, I am lucky that I live in the city and don't have to travel or anything.
  28. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

I've been to the Cinci tourney several times and my problem is I can't sit in that kind of sun and heat for hours on end. I spend half my time in the "cooling off" tent. I skipped it this year and of course, it was cooler.
  29. topaz

topaz New Member

As of day, the WTA rankings would have some movement in the top 20.

Sam Stosur, current ranking is 11 and may drop to 18 or 19.

Roberto Vinci who is currently 13 and should move into the #10
    Carla Suarez Navarro is currently 20 and should move up to #15
  30. sequins

sequins New Member

He needs to retire....:lol: Seriously though this 'Roger needs to retire' nonsense, give it a rest. He'll let you know when he wants to retire, HIS choice, not ours. I understand you want him to win all the time and do well, we're use to that, but that's not reality. Even the best, the greatest, struggle at times it's nothing to be ashamed of. I still enjoy watching him no matter what and for as long as he wants to grace us with his presence I am more than happy to sit back and take it all in. He's one of a kind and no matter what happens in the future, none of it will diminish all he accomplished or all that he has meant to tennis and they are gonna miss him when he does leave, so what's the rush. He needs to go home refocus, make some changes and see what happens why give up now? He has to at least try, that's who he is and he still loves it so why does anyone want to take that away from him? He's deserves a chance I think he's earned it don't you?
  31. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Murray drops the first set in a tiebreak to Istomin....
  32. topaz

topaz New Member

LOL. You have to bring an umbrella and those new cooling towels that Serena endorses.
  33. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Berdych never learned how to handle wind. Not surprised Wawrinka is coming through.
  34. duane

duane New Member

I feel so badly for Hewitt! It would have been nice for him to make it to a slam quarter finals--something he hasn't done in ages.

WOW WAWRINKA!! Perhaps he's beginning to realize that he can become the top Swiss dog of tennis!
  35. Loves_Shizuka

Serena :eek:

Btw guys, talking of events to go to; if you're in Europe I highly recommend RG and Wimbledon of course but the Italian Open is a riot! Beautiful site, great atmosphere, well attended and now a mixed event. Stuttgart and Eastbourne are also great tournaments worth a visit.
  36. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Right?!?!? Berdych is wily and makes some amazing shots, but Stan was like a TANK out there! It was rather impressive. :)
  37. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

I managed to miss the Berdych vs. Wawrinka match. Sounds worth watching on replay.
  38. Loves_Shizuka

39. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

This must warm Flavia's heart. She used to be the best Italian but in recent years she has seen Schiavone, Errani, and even Vinci pas her by and Schiavone and Errani do things she never has done. Now it is fitting in this great comeback event she crushes 2 of those Italians along the way. It is almost making a statement she wants to be the best Italian again. I hope she makes the final. She can, Azarenka is not in form this event.
  40. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

I :swoon: for Dickie Gasquet's backhand.