Sets in the City - Tennis 2012 III

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Loves_Shizuka, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

Wow, Federer eliminated from Wimbledon the same day as the DOMA and Prop 8 rulings. It appears Christmas came early this year for me!! :shuffle: :rofl:

2. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Wow, the amount of falls at this years Wimbledon are so scary to watch.

3. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

I've been at Wimbledon the last three days - and yesterday, as you all know, was CRAZY.

I didn't get to see Fed as I only had ground tickets but I hear Stakh truly deserved it. We saw MLDB beat Sharapova - that was amazing. Maria fell/slid but Michelle played the match of her life and was in charge pretty much from the start. The crowd were loving her and she got alot of support as the underdog. She hits a very flat early ball, and reminds me a little of Azarenka.

Someone to really look out for is Petra Cetkovska. Her upset of Wozniacki has gone quietly by, partly because Woz fell and hurt herself, but believe me, Cet is talented. I saw her beat Vekic in round one as well, and she has a beautiful, elegant, almost old-skool game; variety, touch, slices, volleys, everything. Really looking forward to her third round with Stephens.

Monaco lost the opening set but came through pretty comfortably. He is very well built and bloody gorgeous in person :p

No words about Jankovic :( Sigh.

Gutted about Shvedova :( ....BUT... this is a huge opportunity for Kvitova. I hope she takes it.

4. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

I think it may be better to just hand Serena the trophy. Don't think there's anyone left that's half capable to take her.

This year Wimbledon has been so far one major WTF???!! :eek:

5. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Well, since it has been one major WTF so far, let's make Serena play the matches before handing her the trophy. Who knows WTF will happen? ;)

Not that I'm wishing an injury on her of any kind, but I would like to see someone else win.

Sloane Stephens' half looks pretty open -- nice opportunity for her to make the semis.

6. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

Also, Serena has lost in Slams before when she wasn't suppose to. Not that I would bet on it happening based on the play she is playing. Really none of the top women losing is as shocking to me as a Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, or Murray losing in the early rounds. It just seems like in the last few years or so there have been more upsets on the women's side so it doesn't surprise me as much.

7. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Let's hope it happens again (Serena losing). Then it will become interesting. Let's have some young and up and comer do some damage and arrive on a stagnant women's tour... or let's have a Kimiko Date go far and be the oldest champ ever... just, anything to make this year more interesting for the ladies.

Sad to see Rafa go, devastated to see Roger go.... come on, let's knock out Djokovic too and see if we can't get Murry and GBR a Wimbledon title!!! The stars have aligned for it, so let's go the distance!!

8. duane

duane New Member

I really thought Roger would win Wimbledon, especially after Nadal lost in the 1st round. Afterwards, I only saw Murray as the obstacle to the final, and thought Roger would beat Novak.

This outcome simply shows how much Nadal is in Roger's head. When Nadal goes out early at a slam, Roger struggles in his next match. It happened at 09 FO, 2012 Wimbledon, and now 2013 Wimbledon--the difference being he couldn't pull off the win this time. Roger's return game was AWFUL, and the few UFEs that he had were mainly on the big points.

I hope that what is arguably the biggest upset of Roger's career ends the Federer/Annacone player/coach relationship. Roger needs a coach who motivates him, and Paul's not doing that anymore. I also liked the suggestion made by Cahill (or was it Gilbert?) that Roger should consider changing racquets.

9. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Duane - did you happen to catch the excellent commentary from Courier and NYT/IT reporter Christopher Carey (who is great in skating pressrooms) -- Carey said he would like to administer truth serum to Roger's trainer, to get a fuller story about his back. Guess the feeling is (as FSUers have mentioned) both Fed and (more so) Nadal are downplaying physical issues, similar to how Sampras and Agassi may have done toward the end of their careers. Agree Fed was way, way off and the loss was a huge shock.

Hearing Ferrer's ankle is a problem.

10. duane

duane New Member

Didn't catch the commentary. I don't think Nadal came into Wimbledon injured, but might have hurt it during his 1st round match. I think Roger's problem is between the ears.

I hope Ferrer is okay!

11. fscric

fscric Active Member

What do you mean? Can you elaborate?

12. Loves_Shizuka

Bernard Tomic:

"I think a lot of people were happy when Nadal sort of lost. I think Roger was very happy," said the young Aussie. "I think he got ahead of himself, then things turned around. The players that I think don't get too ahead of themselves, focus on their matches, have the best chance of winning."

:watch:

13. Loves_Shizuka

Actually I think Sharapova's loss is the biggest shock so far (well, maybe on a par with Fed) as Tracy Austin said. She's been so consistent these last eighteen months, and although she lost fourth round here last year, it was to Lisicki - hardly a bad loss at Wimbledon. Losing 2nd round here to a player ranked 131 who's barely won matches this year is :eek:

But yea Fed was a shock too, of course.

It's bizarre that Nadal, Federer, Sharapova, Hewitt and Wozniacki - all former no.1's, all lost to people ranked outside the top 100 :eek: :eek:

Darcis - 135
    Brown -189
    Stakhovsky - 116
    Larcher de Brito - 131
    Cetkovska - 179

That's.... surreal.

Jankovic just about kept face by losing to someone ranked no.98 :rofl:

I for one LOVE upsets; it's good to shake shit up and, particularly on the men side, things have got a little predictable these last few years.

And that's why, as much as I admire Serena, I want someone else to win; Kvitova or Stephens would be great! Or Lisicki perhaps? Long shots, but you never know!

14. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

Poor Tomic, another athlete victim of the foot-in-mouth disease......for our greatest entertainment :D

15. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

I never thought i would ever read Tomic and victim in the same sentence. Tomic is really an unique piece, he suffers from a lot weird diseases.

16. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

Sounds like he should take his own advice and focus on himself and not sound off about anything & everything to the press. This is the 2nd thing he's said this week that has made me want to sit him down and yell at him Tyra style until he stops being such a brat.

Still upset about Rafa & Roger going out so soon, but this made me laugh this morning http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323419604578571424106109666.html

17. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

That's awesome, morget! :lol:

They'll be back, with bandannas ironed and folded.

18. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:lol: Thanks for posting morqet:

19. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I agree Sharapova is the biggest upset. However I think grass is fast becoming her weakest surface, and in many ways has been her weakest surface since 2008 in fact. She has only made it past the round of 16 once since 2006 now, and her movement and footing on grass looks awful most of the time. Her serve is no longer a strength for her, or even a good reliable stroke, and that was a big part to her being a strong grass player in 2004-2006. Peoples expectations of her on grass are too much, she can still make a deep run if she gets a dream draw and some players choking ala Wimbledon 2011 or Olympics 2012 but grass is by far her most vurnerable surface these days. She is nothing like the grass courter who beat Serena and Davenport to win Wimbledon in 2004 anymore.

I think part of her loss was her being downright petrified of possibly playing Serena in the final on grass. She knew it would likely look something like the Olympics. On clay she atleast was eager about the challenge, as daunting as it was. On grass it would be another total humiliation if she somehow scraped into the final vs Serena.

20. duane

duane New Member

I don't think Roger's recent rash of losses is because he's injured or too old. I think it's all mental.

21. duane

duane New Member

You think Maria's upset is bigger than Rafa or Roger's, or are you saying among the women?

22. aftershocks

I was listening to Novak's Day 4 press conference on Tennis Channel and the journalists asked him several questions about Murray having challenged Serena to play a match in Vegas (I hadn't heard that before). Nole seemed surprised too, and he responded, "Why Vegas?" The press kept egging Nole on, asking him which female player he'd like to play against. Unsurprisingly, Nole finally accepted the bait, threw up his hands and said, "Okay, I'll play Sharapova."

23. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Her upset is the biggest probably since Roger wasnt a favorite here after the year he has had, and Rafa was 1-2 on grass last year and didnt play a warm up, so nobody knew what to expect from either anyway. I am surprised both went out so early but could have easily seen both going out around round of 16. Maria was expected to make the final, especialy after Azarenka WD earlier the same day, so to most people she is the biggest upset. Although in a way I am disagreeing with that too since Maria on grass is really on decline, and has been for awhile. I dont think any of them are nearly as surprising as if Murray, Djokovic, or most of all Serena were to lose before the semis.

24. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

It is too bad that Kimiko Date Krumm finds herself playing Serena in the next round. With all of the shock losses and withdrawals, she could have easily found herself playing someone with a great shot of winning. A 42 year old in the Round of 16 would be incredible. I know there is almost no chance but I might be rooting for her against Serena, just because it would be such a big win and mean the world to her, I am sure.

25. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what this is supposed to me. Novak & Maria have been friends for years.

26. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

I'll root for Kimiko tomorrow! She is awesome. :cheer2:

27. aftershocks

^^ :huh: It is what it is. Whether or not Murray's challenge to play Serena is serious or not, it appears that Serena was also asked about it during one of her press conferences, and she gave a humorous answer. Likely if true, Murray might be interested in the publicity factor for tennis and/ or playing for charity.

The press was having fun with it in asking Nole too, and I think by pressing Nole to pick a female player he'd like to play, they were anticipating him to pick Maria (as another well known top women's player and of course everyone knows Novak and Maria are friends). The press was having fun with it and Nole was being lighthearted in response. I do think the press went on with the questioning a bit too much. Nole finally said that he didn't have anything interesting to say about Murray and Serena possibly playing each other. There was nothing combative about the exchange, nor anything unfriendly about Nole's responses.

28. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Yay - Laura Robson through to the 4th round - first British lady to get to the 4th round since 1998!!! But she made us British fans suffer there - losing the 1st set 1-6 and having to break back at 4-5 in the 2nd!!! But still she did it - :)

29. duane

duane New Member

I totally disagree. As you stated, Maria has only made it past the R16 once since 2006, while either Roger or Nadal has been in every final since 2003, winning 9 of the past 10 titles. And, Wimbledon is the LAST place anyone would think Roger's streak of 36 consecutive slam qtrs would end, especially to a player ranked 116 in the world.

30. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

I agree totally with you - Roger going out in round 2 when he had just won Halle and was the defending champion was by far the biggest upset of the tournament so far - and I doubt it will be topped. He may not have been the #1 favourite but he was definitely one of the names many considered would be there or there about come the quarters at least!! I am still a little in disbelief he is not still in the tournament.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013