Sets in the City - Tennis 2012 III

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Loves_Shizuka, Sep 13, 2012.

1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I support great play (and players) in general; but, Federer and Murray are my favorites,

2. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I love Murray the most, partly because of the traumatising childhood he had, which none of us can really imagine. I think his more pleasant and accessible emotions have really come to the fore in the last couple of years (e.g. crying at Wimbledon), and he seems much less brash and hard. I can't help but like Federer too because he's such a nice guy and a good sport. I have grown to like Novak because he's good friends with Murray and he is also a good sport (I just wish his celebrations after winning were more endearing).

Not long until the French Open! :cheer2:

3. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I love Novak and Federer; respect but am bored by Nadal and cannot stand Murray :p

4. orientalplane

Why not?

5. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

He just always seems so dour and negative on court.

6. tchaikovsky_177

tchaikovsky_177 New Member

Djoko all the way for me. Hate Federer and Murray, and am mildly annoyed by Nadal. :lol:

7. orientalplane

'Hate' is a very strong word to use against two other human beings who (presumably) have never done you any harm.

Occasionally FSU is infected with nastiness.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  8. london_calling

london_calling New Member

I don't like negative players, which I find Murray to be. He was absolutely awful when he was younger, swearing at everyone and everything. He's thankfully gotten better but it's still so unpleasant for me to watch him.

It's why I never liked Roddick either.

9. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Really we don't know these athletes intimately so the like/ dislike must have more to do with how we perceive their behavior/ looks/ the way they play on court/ and the way they present themselves in interviews. They are probably all fairly decent human beings, and from all appearances each have a great deal of respect for each other. They all know how hard it is to be on the tour and how hard it is to make it to the top. Tennis matches are so physically and mentally grueling. Andre Agassi does an excellent job of describing what a tough marathon match is like in his book, Open.

With all of that said, my favorite players are Nadal and Murray. I also like Del Potro, but I wish he would play with more motivation and excitement. I enjoy watching Tomas Berdych too, and I used to enjoy James Blake (wish he had won some big ones), and I always loved Andre Agassi more than Pete Sampras.

I too am not enamored of Djoker's elaborate displays of breast-beating machismo after his wins. As much of a bad boy and really unpleasant sportsman as Jimmy Connors was at times, his spontaneous celebrations during play upon winning hard-earned points were enlivening and exciting as opposed to Djokovic going overboard in tearing off his shirt and celebrating after his victories. I mean, even Rafa's fist-pumping and jumping into the air after his wins is more naturally spontaneous and not as long and drawn out as Djoker's OTT displays. However, I do admire Djoker's determination and the hard work he has put in to claw his way to the top over Federer and Nadal. Djoker also had to overcome physical issues (he solved some of his problems through a change in diet) in order to be fit enough to go the distance. But it doesn't seem that he ever had too many difficulties in terms of psychological and mental belief in himself, despite his seeming tendency to wimp out toward the end of some of his matches before his physical breakthrough. OTOH, there have been occasions where I have felt that Djoker took advantage of his opponents by using physical timeouts as a psychological strategy, so that's another reason I'm not too fond of him. I can't fault his talent, but I don't root for Djoker that much, despite the fact I do admire his abilities as a tennis champion.

I think Federer is an amazing player, so beautiful and elegant to watch on the court. And, he's a gracious human being. I'm not a Federer fanatic however, and I disliked the way in the early years of his rivalry with Nadal, that the media and commentators were so blatantly prejudiced against Nadal in favor of Federer. Nadal may not be considered a beautiful elegant player, but he is a great player with courage and fierce determination. Moreover, Nadal possesses a beautiful, elegant spirit and he's such a pure gentleman (as is Federer) off the court. Nadal taught other players what it would take to beat the unbeatable Roger Federer. And Nadal taught everyone what it means to never say die.

I seriously hope Nadal can win another French Open this year and keep the streak going. And, I want Murray to win Wimbledon!

10. orientalplane

Are you aware of what happened in his childhood? After that I think he's done well to turn into a decent person. Some negativity is understandable in my opinion.

11. aftershocks

^^ I don't think Murray has allowed the tragedy he endured/ survived in his childhood (in the school shooting incident) to define him as a person or as a tennis player. And "turn into a decent person," is not the best choice of words, IMO, but I understand you seem to mean he grew up to be a productive human being. That would probably have been the case regardless due to his family and to the upbringing he had. I think it's wonderful that Andrea Jaeger is one of the people responsible for making an important impact on Murray's life after the tragedy. I believe the opportunity he received to concentrate on and further develop his talents in tennis was quite helpful to Murray in the aftermath of such a traumatic experience.

Sure Murray used to display negativity on the court, as have a great many players, which probably has more to do with personality quirks and/ or bad habits. Murray's negativity has usually been mainly against himself for his poor play and it has never worked to his advantage. His current coach, Lendl, has largely been able to wean Murray away from such self-harming patterns of behavior on court. It seems to be rooted in negative thinking, which generally doesn't work for anyone. John McEnroe was the kind of player who used angry emotions to rev himself up in a positive fashion, but how that seemed to work for McEnroe is definitely an anomaly.

Lendl is another great player who I've always admired. Lendl knew himself and he understood how hard he needed to work in order to succeed because he was not as naturally talented as some of his opponents. He also possessed a great deal of deadpan wit which tended to go over the heads of the media. McEnroe hated Lendl during their playing days, but has come to respect and admire his greatness as a champion.

12. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

I used to really dislike the way Murray came across and found it very hard to root for him at all. Now I think he has really improved in that respect. However I am sure I will still find myself being the only person in a pub cheering for Rafa this year if tennis is on tv (which has happened many time before when he plays Murray). :p If Rafa isn't playing I will probably root for Murray now.

13. orientalplane

Unless you personally know him, I can't see why you think you're an authority on the matter.

:lol: It was exactly what I wanted to say. :p

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  14. aftershocks

^^ I don't know Murray personally -- I'm simply speaking my opinion based on watching Murray's matches, seeing Murray and his Mom in interviews, reading about his life and about the school shooting incident in Scotland, and about Andrea Jaeger's contributions in the aftermath. I don't think I'm any authority on the matter either, as I'm certain none of us are. I am a long time fan of tennis.

I don't think "turn into a decent person" is a great choice of words simply because such phrasing infers that Murray as a child was other than "decent," or that having survived the tragedy meant he was in danger of being indecent, but hey if it's what you wanted to say, then certainly it's not decent of me to voice any objections. ;)

Of course the incident impacted Murray's life, but it seems to me that he has tried to keep his thoughts and feelings about what happened fairly private and to separate that episode as much as possible from his life on the tennis court.

15. orientalplane

LOL, unless English is not your first language you should know that the opposite of "decent" is not usually "indecent", but whatever.

No more arguments from me; I think we must be boring the other tennis fans.

16. aftershocks

^^ :lol: Enjoy the upcoming French Open ... I hope you will be rooting for Nadal on clay and Murray on Wimbledon grass!

17. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Just in case you thought they were BFFs or something, Sloane set the record straight. :watch:

Sloane Stephens blasts Serena Williams

Frankly, Sloane needs to move past the drama and concentrate on winning some matches again, but it must be frustrating to keep getting questions about someone who doesn't give you the time of day.....

18. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

19. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Connors .... where to begin. If what he is implying happened, I am sympathetic to him and other men in a similar position, and of course to the women. But. for. the. love. of. Christ! You don't spew about it in a for profit book years later. Jesus!

The mainstream American sports media seems to want to stay far, far away from this story.

20. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Well, that does explain why the marriage was suddenly called off. I was a kid but remember the headlines at the time. They'd hardly be the first young couple to be in that situation and resolve it that way. It's a shame the decision, either way it went, wasn't mutual. However, I'm sympathetic to a female athlete approaching the peak of her career feeling that it's her body, her decision. Nineteen-year-olds tend to be a bit self-centered anyway, and elite athletes tend to see everything through the prism of winning at their sport.

I'm more interested in Connors' gambling addiction, which I didn't know about. That (like any addiction, I guess) can be severely life wrecking.

21. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

In Madrid, the only one of the "Big Four" to make the semis is Nadal. Djokovic, Federer, and now Murray are all out!

22. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Poor Sloane. She's young and her comments were a little too open, but that's how you learn. Just hope she can refocus and start playing well again.

Now, Jimmy vs. Chrissie.... eek. I can't believe that was put in a book... wow.

Awesome for Rafa to win again.... I"m still seeing him as the major threat for the French, no matter what he says. It must be disheartening for other players to hear him say he's not 100% and then still get beaten. He is just beyond awesome on clay.

23. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

If Rafael Nadal retired today, wouldn't his status as the GOAT on clay be uncontested? And does anyone move better on clay?

24. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

for someone with dying knees, nadal is having a relatively easy time w berdych today

25. aftershocks

Ummm, I think Wertheim makes some good points:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/te...tephens-serena-williams-bernard-tomic-father/

Plus Serena's response to queries about what Sloane said were pointedly gracious, sooo not exactly a b**chfest.

http://tennis.si.com/2013/05/07/serena-williams-sloane-stephens-madrid-open/

OTOH, Sharapova's entry into the fray via media queries seems to show that Sharapova has a bit of a bone to pick herself with Serena's dominance/ swagger, heh, heh, although I always thought Sharapova respected the Williams sisters, if not admired and desired to emulate them. Sharapova notably admits in her response: "I’m [also] not the one to strike up a conversation about the weather and know that in the next few minutes I have to go and try to win a tennis match. I’m a pretty competitive girl. I say my hellos, but I’m not sending any players flowers."

In any case, the above link also indicates that Sloane has realized as per her latest tweet on the matter that she personally is "guilty of being naive," and the drama with Serena is over, at least for now. ;)

From the below link, it also appears that Sloane thought her comments to the reporter while eating pizza, were "off-the-record." :duh: Sloane sought out Serena to clear the air privately. Serena later described their private conversation as "between us, and I think it's just best kept that way." :lol: Serena is bound to be even more pumped-up on the tennis court the next time she meets either Stephens or Sharapova, or for that matter, whomever.

http://tennis.si.com/2013/05/14/sloane-stephens-serena-williams-comments-italian-open/

Re Jimmy Connors' revelations, uh, mayhap he should have been a lot more discreet. :eek: Chrissie's comment on the matter: ‘I am extremely disappointed Jimmy Connors has misrepresented a private matter that took place 40 years ago, and made it public, without my knowledge. I hope everyone can understand that I have no further comment.'

http://tennis.si.com/2013/05/04/chris-evert-jimmy-connors-book/

Not exactly a b**chfest by Chrissie, although I can imagine Chrissie's eyes slicing Jimmy like daggers the next time they inadvertently (oh boy) chance to meet!!!

26. duane

duane New Member

It was stupid of Sloane to make such comments. How will she be able to focus on her tennis when now, the focus is on her comments? And, Serena likely has been dying to payback her loss to Sloane on the court. Now she has more reason.

27. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Roger today = ouch! Didn't see the S. Williams vs. Azarenka match, but it looks like that was one-sided, too.

Oh well, on to the French!

28. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Geez, that Nadal/Federer final was painful to see. Almost as bad as that one Roland Garros final.

29. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Murray is out of FO with his back, which he says has been bothering him since 2011. So I guess his clutching at his back may not entirely be a tic born of angst.

30. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Absolutely. I think, overall, Murray's record for defaulting, withdrawing and calling in trainers is more minimal than some other top players.' His oncourt demeanor of grimacing, cursing, limping, hanging his head, etc. is part of his persona, just as time-wasting rituals are part of Nadal's. Both players' eccentricities have gotten a bit less marked, IMO, as they have grown older.

Rottie - if you've never seen the 2007 Indian Wells Murray-Haas match, or haven't seen it since 2007, take a look on youtube. I think Haas is still complaining about Murray's behavior.