Serious IE bug leaves all browsers open to hack

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Simone411, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I had received an e-mail about this on Saturday. I found this article when I went to my MSN homepage this morning. Apparently, this bug can possibly affect Internet Explorer 6 through Internet Explorer 11.

There was also a suggestion from the Homeland Security for all users of Internet Explorer to use another browser until Microsoft can figure out a way to get it fixed. I just downloaded Mozilla Firefox earlier, and that's the browser I'm using right now. It seems to be working very well with Windows 7 so far. I may decide to start using Firefox as my default browser since this hacking problem has come up.

The article also suggested to not use Adobe Flash in Internet Explorer because it could also be vulnerable to attacks. That's another reason I've switched to Firefox. I still want to be able to watch videos, and without Adobe Flash in IE, it would be impossible to watch them.

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/securit...bug-leaves-half-all-browsers-open-hack-n91281

2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'm just sayin'...I haven't used IE on a regular basis in months.

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I have used it once in months because I prefer my iPad anyway.

4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I don't use IE at home, but at work we are using IE (latest version). Until 2 weeks ago we didn't even have the Mozilla Firefox option. So far i have not heard from our IT dept about this bug, but I trust it to be true. Thanks for the warning.

5. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

6. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Haven't used IE in over 10 years, except at work because the intranet only worked with IE. :p There are SO many better options now. First I used Opera, then Firefox, now Chrome because it works fastest on my computer. All are better options than IE!

7. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Anita, I'm afraid that I had always used IE up until about a month ago. I had never tried FireFox until then. I had started using it on my Windows XP laptop until April 8th came along. I found that I love FireFox. So, it wasn't a hard decision for me to start using it on my Windows 7 laptop. :)

8. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I have been using FireFox for years, and I love it. Simone, you shouldn't have a problem with it. I have found it to be user friendly, and reliable. i recommend it to the clients for whom i do tech support.

9. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

My debit card got used for an online purchase from LEGO of all places on Friday and I'm wondering if I got hacked at work where I use Explorer - it has been a nightmare trying to use other browsers because of the Firewall they have. Our IT guy is off site and I've been waiting all day for him to get back to me.

At any rate, I got a new debit card & number from the Bank and I spent the weekend changing all my passwords and user names at any site that I use my debit card for payment but I didn't realize IE was a problem and I hope I don't have to do this change all over again.

Thanks for the heads up - I am being much more careful now.

10. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I use IE only when I absolutely have to. We have a couple sites in our organization that don't like Chrome much. We're gradually moving to Chrome because we are using Google Apps. I've been using Chrome at home for quite some time now. I did use Firefox for a long time, but it seemed to become a real resource hog. I guess they're all resource hogs in one way or another now.

11. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I gave up on IE years ago too. I've been using Chrome for more than 5 years now.

12. Lizziebeth

Lizziebeth the real Lizziebeth

I have a question for people with more techie knowledge than me. I switched someone from IE to chrome but now he is getting a lot more really annoying ad popups. Anyone have a suggestion of a decent ad blocker for chrome? He would like it to be free. I think he is OK with a few ads, but it is really bad. Thanks for any help.

13. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thanks for sharing that. I'm also finding out that it is very user friendly. I also like the way it downloads compared to the way downloads are done with IE.

14. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

I know this is totally lame, but does Firefox work kind of like IE? Is it easy to make favorites? A couple of years ago I had to use Firefox because Icenetwork wouldn't work with IE. It seems like after I installed FF I had to do a lot of java and various update for FF. Tried Chrome on my husband's desktop and hated it. Couldn't seem to figure out much of anything.

Anyway any advice for someone that is ok with IE (except for this stupid bug) and isn't very anxious to learn new stuff? Oh, I am running Windows 7 on this laptop....if that matters.

15. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I use Adblock for everything. It's so good that it's able to block video ads from playing on many streaming video pages. (No luck on Hulu though!)

For Chrome and Firefox (and probably for Opera, although I don't recall exactly), it isn't called "Favorites" but "Bookmarks." Every browser has the capability of saving sites so you can go to them later. Chrome doesn't use Java so you don't have to download anything related to that, so that may be your best bet. Even if you hated it the first time. (Sorry!) On Chrome, there's a hollow star icon on the URL bar that you click to automatically bookmark something. It's also really good at remembering your history, so you can start typing part of a URL and it'll find it in your recent history or bookmarks.

IE is by far the least secure and most buggy browser (at least for web designers!). They seem to be super-slow at adapting certain web standards. I guess the reason why people still use it is because it DOESN'T change, but you can't abide by that in this day and age. Everything's changing so fast, and you bet some of those changes aren't good for unaware consumers.

Chrome is more minimalistic than the other browsers, so you'll have to click around on it more. But most everything can be found on the menu bar.

16. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Here you go. :) https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom?hl=en

17. Lizziebeth

Thank you Anita and Lara. I installed it and it stopped the annoying flickering ads, what a relief.

18. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Another thing that I liked about Firefox was that there was an option to transfer all of your favorites from IE to Firefox when I first installed it. I didn't have to go searching for my favorites and add them to Firefox. They are called "Bookmarks" with Firefox which was okay with me.

19. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

IIRC, you can do that with Chrome too.

20. Lizziebeth

Yes you can. There is a place on the chrome bookmarks that asks if you want to import bookmarks from IE or someplace else. I imported and said to put it on the chrome bookmarks bar and the title is something like 'imported from IE.' Everything is there and it works fine.