Septoplasty (Deviated Septum) Surgery

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by kylet3, Sep 20, 2013.

1. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever had this done before? I know it's a fairly common surgery and I'm scheduled to have it done on October 30. The only thing I just realized is that I have a meet and greet and concert with the Dixie Chicks two nights later. I'm just wondering if I should call and see if there is an off chance I can re-schedule it. Dixie Chicks being my all time favorite band ever and this will be the only chance I ever get to meet them. Has anyone had this procedure done? The concert will be about 55-60 hours after the surgery. I know my nose might be a bit swollen but come hell or high water I'm going to meet them.

Has anyone else ever had this procedure? Had a difficult recovery? I'm just getting a deviated septum fixed, he's not actually going into my sinus cavity. Any insight would be greatly helpful.

2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Postpone the surgery, go meet the Dixie Chicks and tell us what Natalie's husband Adrian Pasdar looks like in person :inavoid:.

3. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I postponed it to November 20. I figure there is no point of risking looking like a giant squirrel face when I meet them. 20 extra days really isn't much of a difference.

4. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

I had sinus surgery a year ago, but mine was more for a completely blocked and infected sinus that had resulted from a deviated septum. So the surgeon went into both sinus cavities to clean them out and then fixed the septum. I went home after the surgery then went back to the doctor's office the next day to have the packing removed.

I had a facial bandage under my nose for that first 24 hours, but once the packing was removed, I looked fairly normal. I didn't have much if any pain. The only negative was I was not allowed to blow my nose for 6 weeks. As I'd normally been blowing my nose every half an hour for years, that was hard.

Within a week, the swelling was down, I was able to breathe freely through my nose and was no longer snoring. I just wished I'd had the surgery ten years earlier!

5. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Euterpe - I have to have this surgery (I also have to have polyps removed) and have been told it will be two weeks of staying home to recover. Thinking of having it done after I get back from Sochi, but I cannot imagine being bound to my apartment for two weeks. Did you stay home for two weeks? I wonder/hope my doctor is exaggerating.

6. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

My sinuses showed as clear, right now I've got this stupid allergy cough with the seasons changing and it wont go away. So I'm hoping with things being allowed to drain properly and the damn allergies will be reduced. Mine isa badly deviated septum. I'm just so sick of all the sinus infections and antibiotics. Drives me nuts.

7. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

I had polyps removed as well---that's what caused the blockage and infection. No, I didn't stay home for two weeks.

Actually, I was originally going to have the surgery a week before I was going to Lake Placid last September, but changed the date when the doctor told me I couldn't blow my nose for 4-6 weeks after surgery. I have several outdoor allergies and couldn't imagine how I could go to a place where I'd be walking around outdoors a lot without being able to blow my nose.

The doctor didn't say no LP after having the surgery, he just said I couldn't be lifting anything heavier than 10 lbs. So he agreed that since I would be moving luggage around, it might be better to have the surgery the week after the LP trip.

If you have a job that requires heavy lifting, I could see where you couldn't work for two weeks. You also have to avoid bending over, but that's no big deal. I resumed all my normal activities, including driving and grocery shopping as soon as the nasal draining stopped, which was within two days after the surgery.

I had dreaded the recovery period because I knew someone at work who said it was extremely painful, but I had little or no pain. The only thing I didn't like was having to use a vaporizer at night for a week after surgery, because the humidity turned my hair into a fuzz ball!

8. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Euterpe, thank you for your response. Much appreciated!

9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Hope your health improves.

10. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Member

I had sinus surgery back in 2004, he repaired the deviated septum and did some other things. I don't remember any pain, and I don't believe my nose was swollen in appearance. I just had a solid week, of not being able to breath out of my nose. The worse part I found, was having such a hard time eating since I couldn't use my nose to breath. I was just drinking a lot of soup. Once the packing came out, it felt wonderful to breath again. The outcome was so worth it, as I used to get so many sinus headaches and infections.

Good luck with your surgery, and glad you decided to postpone it for a bit.

11. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Had my surgery yesterday. So far I feel a little bit like hell but that's to be expected, the worst part for me is not being able to blow my nose since there's all the not so good stuff, so I'm finding I have to use a Q-Tip gently with warm water to clean what I can out of there :(. I know it's going to be a couple weeks before i'm back to normal, but guh, I feel really awful.

12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Sorry to hear that, kyle3. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

13. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Do you have splints in? I found that as soon as the splints were removed (I think 3-4 days later, but it was over 23 years ago so exact timing not sure), I was much better. If you are not taking prescribed pain meds on a routine basis (like the script recommends 4 -6 hours) you maybe having pain breakthrough that takes too long to recover adequate relief.

14. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

No splints no, the nasal packing was taken out a couple hours after surgery, I probably should be taking the pain meds a bit more, but I'm finding it's tough to eat since everything is still so sore and congested.

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Perhaps you could try soft foods like after a wisdom tooth extraction so you don't have to chew too much? Apple sauce? Oatmeal?

16. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I hope you feel better, kyle!

I also hope you enjoyed the concert!