Senior B's

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by hippychick, Aug 8, 2011.

1. hippychick

hippychick Member

Just curious how many senior B's slots are available for the US per discipline.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I don't know the answer, but there are 3 Senior B competitions listed on the US International Assignments page -- Nebelhorn, Finlandia (no pairs here), and Coupe de Nice.

BTW, I've started threads in the Kiss and Cry forum for Nebelhorn and Finlandia.

3. midori

midori Well-Known Member

I have been wondering this for a long time... how do you know if a competition is meant to be "Senior B," or just an ISU sanctioned event? I cannot find anything indicating on ISU site.

I know there are rules available on ISU communications but it is not easy to tell if each competition meets all the criteria. Or is there a special way to know if you are an elite skater who needs some points?

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Refer to: International Figure Skating Competitions 2011/2012 - Color Version
    July 2011 (Updated Version July 11, 2011) -- direct link to PDF: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db/files/serve.php?id=2704

From ISU Communication No. 1629 (titled "ISU World Standings for Single & Pair Skating and Ice Dance / ISU Season’s World Ranking") -- skaters/teams that place 1-5 can receive ISU World Standings ranking points at International Senior Competitions (Senior Bs):
    1st place = 250 points, 2nd = 225, 3rd = 203, 4th = 182, 5th = 164.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  5. midori

midori Well-Known Member

The color pdf has Japan Open and Adult Competition on the list. It does not tell you if each competition can be Senior B or not.

So, there is no way to tell if you could get any point in those competitions, other than by checking all the rules by yourself?

Some said Asian Figure Skating Trophy would be Senior B but I know it is not because the entry list is too short. It does not really matter to me but it should matter to skaters if they were going to compete there to get some points. Were they trying to make Asian Trophy Senior B but failed to match the criteria, or were they never? Is there any way I can find it out?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  6. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Japan Open is an invitational event and so no Senior B points.

Regional competitions like the Asian Figure Skating Tropy could become a Senior B if enough skaters from outside the Region (Asia) competed AND if the tech teams for the event consist of members from 3 different countries. If there are very few competitors, chances are it will not be considered a Senior B.