Selling an old iPhone?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by sk8pics, Nov 17, 2012.

1. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience with the various websites out there for selling an old iPhone? I just got the iPhone5 and it would be nice to get a little something for my old iPhone4. I know there are a bunch of possible sites. Just wondering if anyone has any comments about any of them. I could sell iron eBay, but I'd rather do something easier than that.

TIA.

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Have you asked around to friends and family? My bf gave his iPhone 4 to a friend who manages a Sonic. She took it to work and sold it right away for him. The kids like to buy them with their spare cash and use them for the wifi or something. They don't even get phone service apparently. It just becomes like a fancier iPod touch I guess.

What about Craigslist? This way you could sell it locally and arrange to meet someone at a public place to do the swap. No worries about shipping costs.

3. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I bought a second hand iphone from my boss when he bought the 5. There were no shortage of people who wanted it - think about how much you want for it and ask family and friends before going to websites.

Otherwise, ebay. Check out how much phones are going for on there, it's almost guaranteed to sell.

4. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Sell it locally. You won't have any trouble selling it on eBay, but you may have a lot of trouble getting paid -- there are a lot of scam purchasers out there for products like this, and eBay will do little to nothing to protect you if the buyer claims non-receipt or not as described.

Craigslist worked fine for my D; she met up with the buyer at a Starbucks and had a coffee while they completed the transaction inside, for cash.

5. sk8pics

I will have to ask around a bit. My one friend who was interested ended up getting a 4S instead. We'll see. Thanks for the advice!

6. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Go to www.ecoatm.com and see if there is one anywhere near you. Saw a piece about it on 20/20 a few weeks ago. Gives you cash on the spot for your old electronic devices. Seems very cool and reasonable.

7. sk8pics

An update: I sold my iPhone4, 16 gig model, for $145 to Gazelle. It has been super easy. I registered on line and they made the offer, subject to verification of the phone quality, sent me a box with a prepaid label, and I sent it to them on Saturday. They got it Tuesday and this morning I had the email confirming the $145 offer. I will get a check in 3-5 days. :cool: