ScriptFrenzy.org: NaNoWriMo for Screenplays and such

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by manleywoman, Mar 29, 2011.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

http://scriptfrenzy.org/

Anyone else trying this? I have never never considered myself a writer by any means. BUt lately I've heard from a few people (mainly my husband and a few clients who read my work materials) that I have a nice style. I've actually been creating a dialogue in my head for months, and then when I heard about this, I thought, why not write a screenplay?

(as if I don't have enough to do! :lol:)

Anyone else game?

2. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of doing this--got the email a few days ago from nanowrimo. I have no idea what goes into writing a screenplay, and I don't have an idea for a movie...sounds perfect. :lol:

3. manleywoman

So what? Neither did Michael Moore. I remember an interview he did where he was first thinking of the idea for Roger and Me. He said he had no idea how to make a film. He just thought it was a good idea, and he liked to watch movies, and he said "how hard can it be?" :lol:

4. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Arg, I've had a half finished screenplay just lurking about forever, but this is not the time for me to do something like this. Why not in June, when I'll only be working one job? :wuzrobbed

5. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Perpetually learning Dutch Waltz

I did regular NaNo last year, and I'm tempted to try this as well, but maybe not this year as I've got a ton of other things that I've been putting off. On the other hand, I really feel in the mood to write at the moment, so it could still happen.

6. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

I've written five screenplays (only 2 are any good, but one of those won $25,000 in a contest, wheee!), but I couldn't do it in 30 days. Not unless I had a fantastic outline first.

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Matryeshka

I think the goal is just to write 100 pages. I did regular nanowrimo, completed 100 pages...and am still working on it.

As cliched as it is, I'm thinking of doing one on Katrina just because I have an opening scene in my head, and there hasn't been a big-screen fictionalized version of what happens, which seems odd to me.

8. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I've just signed up. I am going to do a demented skating screenplay. :lol:

9. Matryeshka

Ooo, will there be whinestones and hot, trampy ice dancers? I'd totally watch that.

10. Marge_Simpson

Hmm, maybe. :lol:
    There is a wimpy plumber who overhears a Mafia guy planning to "whack" someone while he's fixing a leaky pipe. (He also overhears him ranting about huge bills for sequins and costumes and dancing lessons. The plumber assumes he is referring to his bossy wife) Being a good citizen, he reports this, but then he fears for his life. What if the guy whacks HIM? He begs the FBI to put him in the witness protection program.
    The FBI gives him a new identity as a skating judge. The plumber explains that he knows nothing about skating. The FBI tells him that the real judges don't know anything about skating either, and he can take it or leave it. He takes it. He looks to a skating message board for help....
    Meanwhile, there is a husband and wife who were well-known coaches in Russia, but they have relocated to the US. The wife has always done most of the work, but her slimy hubby gets all the credit because he has more credentials. The slimeball announces that he is divorcing his wife to shack up with one of his slutty skaters. And he's moving to another rink and taking all the skaters with him.
    The wife needs to find a job, but she also wants revenge on the slimeball. She looks to a skating message board for help........
    The Mafia guy is actually not very competent at his job, and has never really whacked anyone at all. However, he has a son who skates! The son's coach has just died in a freak colision with a zamboni......and he needs a new coach. I wonder where he will find a new coach.....:lol:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  11. manleywoman

Got an email from them today. If you write 3.3 pages a day, you'll make 100 pages by the end of it. For comparison, The King's Speech screenplay is 92 pages long.

12. manleywoman

Wheeee! Wrote one scene tonight, which was three pages! Good way to start. :) Here's hoping I keep it up.

13. Matryeshka

Went to a kick-off last night. Like at nanowrimo, there were many what I term "hobbit" people. Hobbit people are those that are convinced that the ONLY genre is sci-fi/fantasy, and all others are worthless since they don't have magic and orcs or whatnot. And Shakespeare forbid they have romance or a female character as the lead or a vampire. (Urban fantasy doesn't count as "real" fantasy). Though I did learn there is an actual genre called "paranormal romance." There was a very long rant on that.

But, aside from that, it was really neat hearing the ideas people had. Some of them did have movies I would totally go see. A couple of people were doing plays, and one guy was doing a video game script. I got about five pages written. It's mostly scene ideas, but it was fun.

14. Marge_Simpson

I was at work this evening, but it wasn't busy at all, so I was scribbling dialogue and then saying the lines out loud to see if they sounded realistic.
    My coworker thought I was losing my marbles (I think I already lost them ages ago) until I explained what I was doing.
    She even went along with me when I told her to read the lines I'd written for the Russian coach, while I pretended to be her sleazy husband. :lol:

15. manleywoman

How is everyone doing? I've only got 22 pages so far. I haven't been able to do a few pages every night as I should be. And I'm skipping all over the place . . . my scenes aren't in any order yet.