Scream Painting sold for $120 million:

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by DickButtonFan, May 3, 2012.

1. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

2. overedge

overedge where's the remote?

It's supposed to be ugly. Did you read the quote from the artist in the story, describing his inspiration?

I'm astounded that it went for so much over the estimated price. And I also suspect that the "unknown buyer" is a bazillionaire who will hang it in their house or keep it in a bank vault, which will be a shame as the public will probably be deprived of the opportunity to see it.

3. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

4. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I thought there were four versions of "The Scream?" It's DH's favorite work of art, lol.
    I gave him a print for his birthday one year and he loved it!

5. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I have a throw pillow with The Scream printed on it, my brother gave it to me as a gag gift several years ago. It has one of those voice box thingies inside it, and it screams when you squeeze it.:lol:

6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

All I can say is wow. It is news like this that get me thinking the Occupy movement may just be onto something.

7. duane

duane New Member

The painting looks like something you would see on a refrigerator...along with all the other crayon drawings by the parent's young kids.

But oh, how nice it must be to have the money to spend $120 million for, well, anything.

8. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

How awesome! I have a T Shirt with The Scream on it, and I would scream too if you squeeze me.

galaxygirl and (deleted member) like this.
  9. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue CLINTON / KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Earlier articles from the WSJ:

Painting drew interest from Chinese and Middle Eastern investors

Cool slideshow

Today's headline

Yet...

Other articles on how wealthy investors from the emerging world are changing the art scene and art valuations:

Chinese painters coming into demand

Chinese bidders entering the market

10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

There are. The other three are on display in museums, this is the only one held by a private collector.

11. UMBS Go Blue

12. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Oh, I thought this might have been the version that was stolen from the museum. I see they recovered that one and it's back in a museum.

Wow - if this version went for that much money, imagine how much museum collections are worth. It's a staggering concept, way beyond my boggle factor.

13. UMBS Go Blue

The "mystery" winning bidder for "The Scream" wasn't from Russia or China, but from the U.S.: financier Leon Black.

WSJ article

Black has endowed a new visual arts center at Dartmouth College and has also donated a new sculpture for the exterior of the adjoining auditorium. I suggest he solve the following dilemma:

...by donating "The Scream" to the Hood Museum of Art. Since Black was also a trustee of Dartmouth College and signed off on a renovation of the College-owned Hanover Inn that encountered massive cost overruns, then perhaps making Hanover an instant tourist destination with "The Scream" would help the College earn back those overruns more quickly. :saint:

14. UMBS Go Blue

I noticed that, in an earlier post, I quoted an WSJ article hinting that the winning buyer was American because the buyer was represented by Charles Moffett. Indeed, from the latest article:

15. UMBS Go Blue

16. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

What, you think great art should sell for five bucks a pop? :)

17. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Neh... $5.50 at least :p

18. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I bid $10.

19. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I'm saving up for the "Draw Binky" auction.:D

20. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Lev Blakovich bought the painting. His father, Manahen Blakovich, as a child with his family, escaped from ethnic cleansing (“pogroms”) in Poland and came to USA right before the Great Depression. His family worked and he studied through the period of the Great Depression.

In the late 40’s/early 50’s, due to his high academic achievements, hard work, and perseverance, he was hired by some of the top financial institutions in New York, and his career took off from there. His son Lev followed his footsteps.

Perhaps the “occupiers” instead of “occupying” should meet the Blakvoich family and ask them to teach them the methods of hard work and sacrifice.. :D.

But they probably won’t do that…. So maybe US government should deport the occupiers to some troubled country and have them immigrate with empty pockets and just clothes on their backs back to USA… maybe then their brains will snap into place about what to do when you come to the land of unlimited opportunities… :p

21. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

It's funny, the version of The Scream he bought doesn't provoke much of a reaction from me. I don't really like it that much. It does kind of look like it was done with crayons, and the colors used and the way the people are positioned in the background don't really speak to me.

But then this one is possibly my favorite work of art. Every time I see it I get this wonderful shiver up my spine. I've always had a visceral reaction to it. The colors say so much, and I always loved the shadowy people in the background moving toward the screamer.

22. duane

duane New Member

^Wow, the difference is night and day. I too like this version.