Scott Hamilton Scott Cares Gala and Ice Show 2011

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by mmscfdcsu, Sep 21, 2011.

1. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

Cleveland, Ohio. November 5th.

http://www.scottcares.org/Events/2011IceShowandGala.aspx

"Ice Show
    Tickets* on sale 9/26/11 at www.theqarena.com for $29.50, $39.50 & $59.50
    *On-Ice seats are reserved for Gala dinner patrons
    Scott Hamilton and Kristi Yamaguchi will co-host the star studded event.
    This year's all star skating line-up includes Dorothy Hamill, Katia Gordeeva, Ilia Kulik, Sasha Cohen, Jeffrey Buttle, Jozef Sabovcek, Kimmie Meissner, Joannie Rochette, Caryn Kadavy, Michael Weiss, Ryan Bradley, Steven Cousins, and Sinead & John Kerr."

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Don't get discouraged if you can't seem to buy tickets - they do not go on sale until Monday morning at 10 a.m.

I'm going...

3. mmscfdcsu

I will get there when I can...after work.

4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Sheryl Crow is listed as the musical guest as well.

5. mmscfdcsu

Yes, she was at last year's show and committed right there to doing this year's show. She did a number last year I think. My memory is bad. :shuffle:

6. PAskate

PAskate New Member

You remembered right. She and Brad Paisley were surprise performers who did numbers and the main performer was Vince Gill.

I'm looking forward to going this year as well.

7. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

Yet another show with Ryan Bradley that is not in Dallas nor attendable for me :fragile:

8. mmscfdcsu

Ahhhhhhhhh. Come on up to Cleveland. I'm really looking forward to seeing Bradley, Buttle and even Dorothy! And...this is a local benefit. It is never televised. So...if you want to see it, come on up.

9. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

This is not just a benefit, but a sold out benefit. (At least it was the last time I attended 2 years ago.) There's something special about the level of loyalty this event attracts.

mmscfdcsu and (deleted member) like this.
  10. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

I wish. I really do. I blew all my money on antionals :grope:

Plus, I have to go to school and work. I look forward to hearing your report though!

11. Willowway

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  12. mmscfdcsu

$59.50 for one ticket

Sub Total $59.50

Facility Fee $3.00

Handling Fee $4.00

Convenience Fee $9.05

Amount to be charged to your credit card $75.55

:yikes: Love all of those fees. :blah:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  13. Willowway

I know. I was on the phone ordering seats for a bunch of us and I just started laughing the extra charges were so bad! The person on the phone had nothing to do with it but honestly...I told them (with humor) to tell the powers that be at the arena that the "convenience charge" was very inconvenient for me. He laughed too.

You call them, you pick up your tickets when you're there - I know they have costs, but really, the Quicken Loans Arena is pretty extreme.

14. mmscfdcsu

This weekend! :D

15. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Gosh, can some of those people still skate...? :yikes:

16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm glad that all of the skaters are participating for such a good cause.

17. mmscfdcsu

I just got back a little bit ago. It was a fun show. IMO the best skater of the night was Ilia Kulik. He was hitting high, easy triples. :D Joannie Rochette was lovely, but really struggled on her jumps. She landed 2 or 3 of them two footed and after 2 and 1/2 rotations. Unfortanately, they were not axels or the rotations would have been okay. :shuffle: Tons of back flips by 2 or 3 skaters. Caryn Kadavy and http://twitter.com/#!/OlympianUncut
    were wonderful. Kadavy has really kept up her technique.

All the skaters skated to Sheryl Crow singing live. I think I would have enjoyed the performances more if the skaters had skated at least a few of their own numbers.

Scott was Scott. At the end of the show, his youngest kid came out on skates but was too shy to skate for us. :lol: Maybe next year.
    This show, that raises money for the Cleveland Clinic, grows every year. Most of the money is probably made through the big bash, going on now, and through the sponsorships. Still, for a small show, it was great to see over 8,000 in the seats. :D

http://twitter.com/#!/OlympianUncut/status/132967442879234048/photo/1

http://twitter.com/#!/J_Butt

Completely forgot to say that Alissa Czisny was lovely. She seemed soooo thin, but skated very well.

http://lockerz.com/s/153590981

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  18. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

I wish Ilia K. would do SOI, I might be able to go to a show next year on the east coast. Every year I say I'm going to Scott's show or one of the other show's, but am a little tied down at the moment. Except in 6 hours I am leaving for a week in Florida. The first whole week I've had in the 5 years.

19. Willowway

A bunch of us from the Krew were so happy to see this year's version of Scott CARES. Terrific show. The five of us are among the millions of American women who would like to be Sheryl Crow just for an evening - we each have a hidden rocker inside us. We'd love to sing, to rock out. And she did! She and her band are terrific! Lots of fun but also moving when she talked about her cancer and sang a song she wrote in response to treatment called "Make It Go Away." Her friendship and connection with Scott were clear and very real - they are obviously friends and have fun with one another. During the dress rehearsal her language was 'salty' and she was very funny and kept assuring Scott that she'd clean it up for the evening show. And she did - not quite as funny though.

The big name guest star was Dorothy Hamill and Sheryl was even funny enough to have contributed of a photo of herself (she looked about 11 and it was up on the Jumbotron) with a not too flattering version of the Dorothy haircut just to prove what a fan she had been. Really cute! Dorothy skated a simple and elegant program and she skated beautifully - as our group noted, her back positions, her long edges are still there and at her age that's a real testimony. Good for her - she looked terrified up close but relaxed at the end of the program. During the dress she was nervous you could tell, but she did it. And she looked lovely.

Ilia skated fantastically as noted above, Buttle was very good (also contributed the good choreography for the group numbers which were more complex and faster that usual for these one-off shows - I appreciated that - another rehearsal and the cast wouldn't have been watching out for collisons, several of which almost happened), Alissa lovely (but so very thin), Katia was missing jumps which she had hit earlier in the day but she doesn't need the jumps - she had my favorite Crow song "The First Cut is the Deepest" and was lovely. Something happened to Joannie and she did not skate her solo - just the group numbers. The rest of the cast were Cousins, Meissner, Weiss, Sabovcek, Melissa & Dennis, Ryan Bradley and Caryn Kadavy who pulled off a more interesting skate that her usual. The spirit from everyone was wonderful (regardless of individual results) and they were all commited to what they were doing.

It was a great evening - as Drew Carey would say, Cleveland rocks!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  20. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

So glad you and the Krew had a good time Willowway. Ilia never disappoints in his performances. Glad you also had fun, mmscfdcsu.

This show is obviously personally meaningful to a lot of the skaters who have either dealt with the disease or have loved ones who have.

21. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

Sounds like Joannie was either sick or injured. She's never had a problem with under rotations in the past, and didn't skate her solo number. Hope she recovers soon!

22. mmscfdcsu

My bad. It wasn't her. I shouldn't post when tired.:slinkaway

It was kind of hard to pay attention. There were two types of music. Fast and slow. The fast numbers sounded identical and the few slow numbers sounded the same. Since I am not familiar with Sheryl Ceow and know none of her music, I could not tell one song from another. A bit of variety would have helped.

23. Willowway

I'm guessing sick. She did her solo in rehearsal - not full out but she marked it (as many skaters do in rehearsal) and got through it. She did everything in the group numbers just fine and didn't even come out at the end for bows so I'm thinking the poor girl really wasn't feeling well.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  24. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

nursebetty,
    You just got your wish! Ilia will be in the cast of SOI this year. Hope the tour comes to a venue near you.

I was with the Krew in Cleveland and really enjoyed the show. There is something so heartwarming seeing a venue the size of the Q sell out for such a worthy cause. The audience may have been quiet, but they were mighty in their support.

Kudos to Scott for the attention he has brought to the Cleveland Clinic!

25. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

I just saw that.......hoping the show comes to DC. Am sure Raleigh will not be a stop or anywhere else in VA. or NC.